Find out how this smart Aussie family saves a fortune on dental bills with a simple trip overseas!

In the land down under, where the sun shines bright and the beaches beckon, there's one thing that can quickly cloud the skies for many Australians: the high cost of dental care.

However, for one savvy family, they've found a silver lining in the tropical paradise in Southeast Asia, turning what could be a financial burden into an opportunity for both savings and adventure.

Kirstin Edwards, despite having top-tier private health insurance, was staggered to find herself $3500 out of pocket after a routine trip to the dentist.

The cost was so significant that it often led her to delay necessary check-ups, a common predicament for many Australians who face the pinch of dental bills.

However, Kirstin's story took an unexpected turn when she decided to look beyond Australian shores for a solution.

compressed-shutterstock_1376612816.jpeg
Kirstin Edwards shared that dental checkups in Bali are significantly cheaper than in Australia. Credits: Shutterstock

The Edwards family's journey to affordable dental care began with a chance encounter at a Bangkok airport in 2014.

Kirstin struck up a conversation with a couple boasting gleaming smiles, fresh from a dental visit in Thailand.

This planted the seed of an idea that would blossom a year later, after another costly visit to an Aussie dentist prompted Kirstin to take action.

With her husband Tom on board, the couple booked a holiday to Bali with a side of dental appointments.

Kirstin's research led her to a reputable clinic, recommended by expats and tourists alike on Bali social groups, and backed by glowing Google reviews.

The clinic's dentists, a husband and wife team, had been trained in North America and Singapore, offering Kirstin the reassurance she needed to proceed.

‘I was a little nervous at first,’ Kirstin said about her first appointment.

‘But after I found out they had training in a developed country, I felt more relaxed.’

Looking back, she said she realised there was no need for her to worry.

‘Everything was incredibly clean and modern,’ she recalled.

‘The care was fabulous, you don’t feel like a “number”; you feel like they genuinely care.’

During Kirstin and her husband Tom's initial visit to the dentist in Bali, they were transported from their hotel to the clinic.

The result? A dental bill that left Kirstin and Tom smiling wider than ever.

For just $90, they received check-ups, cleans, and scales, plus transportation back to their accommodation.

‘I remember the price exactly because they told me my husband’s was $10 more expensive,’ she shared.

‘They were so apologetic, but explained his teeth were dirtier than mine.’

According to Kirstin, if she had gone to her local dentist, the bill would have amounted to a few hundred dollars for each of them.

‘I put off going to the dentist (in Australia), because it was so expensive,’ Kirstin said.

Over the past eight years, the Edwards have made six trips to Bali, each time incorporating dental treatments into their holiday itinerary.

Kirstin's most recent trip included treatment for a jaw disorder with Botox, a procedure she claimed would have cost around $1300 in Australia, but in Bali, the bill was a mere $400.

Friends and family, inspired by Kirstin's tales, followed suit, finding not only relief for their teeth, but also for their wallets.

Following a friend's shocking Australian dentist bill of $13,000, Kirstin’s friend opted to fly to Bali for comparable dental work, with travel expenses totaling $6,000.

Similarly, Kirstin's in-laws faced a comparable situation, and began avoiding dental visits due to the high costs involved.

However, during their trip to Bali, Kirstin and her husband were pleasantly surprised to find that they were charged only $50 each for dental services.

Encouraged by this experience, they are now considering undergoing more extensive treatment while in Bali.

‘Anybody who is thinking about it, just go,’ Kirstin advised.

Having already scheduled a trip, including a routine dental appointment, in a few weeks' time, Kirstin mentioned that this will mark their seventh visit to a dentist in Bali.

However, the Edwards' story isn't just about dental care; it's a masterclass in budget travel.

Kirstin turned the art of saving into a science, leveraging credit card points for flights and seeking out the best local dining deals.

When it comes to dining, she recommended preparing homemade lunches to bring along on day trips, and exploring local restaurants to find the best nightly specials.

‘For example, I know on Mondays that XYZ restaurant has two-for-one cocktails, or on Tuesdays XYZ restaurant has $1-$2 tacos,’ she explained.

The family avoided the premium prices of big hotel chains, opting instead for boutique accommodations, and they steer clear of peak travel periods to stretch their dollars further.

Kirstin's entrepreneurial spirit even led her to create a colourful kids' travel diary, My Big Adventure, turning her son's school assignments into a fun and educational travel activity.

This product, born from the family's own travel experiences, is now helping other young explorers document their journeys.

As Australian families navigate the rising costs of healthcare, some are finding creative solutions to manage expenses.

This revelation shed light on the broader frustrations felt by many, as seen in the case of a dad whose online rant about the state of affairs ignited a heated debate.

In both instances, the struggles with healthcare costs highlighted the need for innovative approaches and discussions surrounding access to affordable services.
Key Takeaways
  • Kirstin Edwards found dental checkups in Bali substantially cheaper than in Australia, even with top-tier private health cover.
  • Edwards and her family made multiple trips to Bali over the years specifically for dental treatments and checkups.
  • The care received in Bali was not only affordable, but also high quality, with dental practitioners trained in developed countries.
  • Besides dental savings, Kirstin Edwards also shared travel tips on how to economise while still enjoying trips abroad, such as earning points on credit cards, choosing cost-effective dining and accommodation, and avoiding peak travel times.
Have you ever considered dental care abroad? Do you have tips for saving on health costs or travel? We invite you to share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
Ah well, in the good old days of the British National Health Service when dental care was free up to age of 18 and one could also get dentistry done at the local Public Hospital...........But this is Australia.

Reactions: Gsr
While I’m sure the treatments are cheaper and of high quality, wouldn’t it get expensive travelling to Bali every time you needed dental work done. And wouldn’t it get boring going to Bali for every holiday so you could get your dental work done. In saying that I’ve never been to Bali so I don’t know what it is like holidaying there.

Reactions: DLHM
Flying from Perth to Bali is fairly cheap when the sales are on. But I still wouldn’t travel to Bali to visit the dentist. Lovely people, but I can’t stand the weather.