Find out how this Aussie dad managed to save over $1,000 on his baffling Origin Energy Bill

We all know how crucial managing finances and keeping costs down can be – especially as the cost of living continues to rise. That's why we at the Seniors Discount Club keep an eye out for tips, tricks, and stories that can help save you money.

So, when we came across the tale of a Sydney father and his experience with an eye-watering energy bill, we knew we had to share it with you.

The young dad, who is living with his wife and their 14-month-old child, was left ‘baffled’ when their household received an invoice for their December 30 to May 10 billing cycle from Origin Energy.

‘We were shocked to see that our provider had calculated that we owed $1,384.13,’ the anonymous resident posted on the social media forum Reddit.

‘We use gas for our stove and hot water. We were baffled. We have only just moved in, and neither of us had paid a gas bill before.’

energy1.jpg
The dad was surprised to see their household’s energy bill. Credit: Joy Singh/Pexels

But instead of blindly paying the bill, the father decided to investigate further.

He noticed that the charge on the bill was just an estimation, not an actual meter reading. So, he checked the meter himself and discovered that the reading was entirely different from what was stated on the bill.

‘The meter did not even remotely match what was stated on the bill,’ he said.

‘Check your bill to see how they indicate an estimated bill or actual bill. I submitted my meter read to our provider and received a new bill today indicating we actually owed only $271.19.’

However, the saga didn't end there. The man told reporters that he received yet another bill on Thursday for $1,420.48.

energy2.jpg
The dad submitted their meter reading to their provider. Credit: Wilson Vitorino/Pexels

‘I have had to contact them once again to reissue a bill based on actual readings,’ he shared, adding that he had managed to have the bill reduced again – this time, to a more reasonable $296.54.

‘No explanation why they have tried to overcharge me again,’ he continued.

The man has also been sharing his experience with other internet users.

‘With the cost of living going through the roof, surely there is a way to ensure ... that customers aren’t charged 510 per cent of what they use,’ he wrote in his post.

‘An apology (at the very least) would have been nice.’

Customers with natural gas connections are billed by their energy retailers based on physical gas meter readings taken by the local gas network company.

However, if meter readers cannot access the meter on the premises, the energy provider (in this case, Origin) will use an estimation based on the property's historical usage.

That’s where many residents can inadvertently be overcharged.

A spokesperson for Origin Energy told reporters that customers should ‘provide safe and easy access for meter readers’ to avoid estimated bills.

They also advised customers to clear any hindrances like locked gates, unrestrained pets, or overgrown plants that might deter meter readers from accessing and accurately recording energy consumption.

However, the dad stated that there was nothing noticeable that was hindering meter access.

‘Our meter is at the front of our home. About 3m from the front boundary. No fence, no dog.’

Now, the Sydney father is raising awareness of his experience and urging others to scrutinise their bills for discrepancies.

Don't be afraid to speak up if something doesn't feel right. In this father's case, his persistence and diligence in resolving the matter saved his family over $1,000.

Remember that many providers, like Origin Energy, have online guides on how to conduct a self-meter reading. This simple action could save you from a potential financial headache and ensure that you're not being overcharged.

Keep an eye on your bills, stay persistent, and be sure to share any tips or stories you have with us here at the Seniors Discount Club.
Key Takeaways
  • A Sydney father was baffled after receiving an eye-watering charge on his energy bill and managed to save over $1,000 by checking the meter.
  • A closer inspection of the bill revealed that the charge was based on an estimation, and the actual meter reading was significantly lower.
  • Customers with natural gas connections are billed based on physical gas meter readings taken by the local gas network company; however, if the meter reader cannot access the meter, an estimate is provided.
  • Origin Energy urges customers to provide safe and easy access for meter readers to avoid getting a bill based on estimated usage.
Have you recently been hit by a surprisingly high bill, members? How did you resolve it? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
We all know how crucial managing finances and keeping costs down can be – especially as the cost of living continues to rise. That's why we at the Seniors Discount Club keep an eye out for tips, tricks, and stories that can help save you money.

So, when we came across the tale of a Sydney father and his experience with an eye-watering energy bill, we knew we had to share it with you.

The young dad, who is living with his wife and their 14-month-old child, was left ‘baffled’ when their household received an invoice for their December 30 to May 10 billing cycle from Origin Energy.

‘We were shocked to see that our provider had calculated that we owed $1,384.13,’ the anonymous resident posted on the social media forum Reddit.

‘We use gas for our stove and hot water. We were baffled. We have only just moved in, and neither of us had paid a gas bill before.’

View attachment 21464
The dad was surprised to see their household’s energy bill. Credit: Joy Singh/Pexels

But instead of blindly paying the bill, the father decided to investigate further.

He noticed that the charge on the bill was just an estimation, not an actual meter reading. So, he checked the meter himself and discovered that the reading was entirely different from what was stated on the bill.

‘Check your bill to see how they indicate an estimated bill or actual bill. I submitted my meter read to our provider and received a new bill today indicating we actually owed only $271.19.’

However, the saga didn't end there. The man told reporters that he received yet another bill on Thursday for $1,420.48.

View attachment 21466
The dad submitted their meter reading to their provider. Credit: Wilson Vitorino/Pexels

‘I have had to contact them once again to reissue a bill based on actual readings,’ he shared, adding that he had managed to have the bill reduced again – this time, to a more reasonable $296.54.

‘With the cost of living going through the roof, surely there is a way to ensure ... that customers aren’t charged 510 per cent of what they use,’ he wrote in his post.

Customers with natural gas connections are billed by their energy retailers based on physical gas meter readings taken by the local gas network company.

However, if meter readers cannot access the meter on the premises, the energy provider (in this case, Origin) will use an estimation based on the property's historical usage.

A spokesperson for Origin Energy told reporters that customers should ‘provide safe and easy access for meter readers’ to avoid estimated bills.

They also advised customers to clear any hindrances like locked gates, unrestrained pets, or overgrown plants that might deter meter readers from accessing and accurately recording energy consumption.

However, the dad stated that there was nothing noticeable that was hindering meter access.

‘Our meter is at the front of our home. About 3m from the front boundary. No fence, no dog.’

Now, the Sydney father is raising awareness of his experience and urging others to scrutinise their bills for discrepancies.

Don't be afraid to speak up if something doesn't feel right. In this father's case, his persistence and diligence in resolving the matter saved his family over $1,000.

Remember that many providers, like Origin Energy, have online guides on how to conduct a self-meter reading. This simple action could save you from a potential financial headache and ensure that you're not being overcharged.

Keep an eye on your bills, stay persistent, and be sure to share any tips or stories you have with us here at the Seniors Discount Club.
Key Takeaways

• A Sydney father was baffled after receiving an eye-watering charge on his energy bill and managed to save over $1,000 by checking the meter.
  • A closer inspection of the bill revealed that the charge was based on an estimation, and the actual meter reading was significantly lower.
  • Customers with natural gas connections are billed based on physical gas meter readings taken by the local gas network company; however, if the meter reader cannot access the meter, an estimate is provided.
  • Origin Energy urges customers to provide safe and easy access for meter readers to avoid getting a bill based on estimated usage.
Have you recently been hit by a surprisingly high bill, members? How did you resolve it? Let us know in the comments!
Well, I agree with the writer. You have to be careful and do not trust the bill you receive if you think that it is not right.
It happend to me as well and guess by whom.???? Origing Energy too.
I kept on getting a bill for quite a few quarters at about the same amount and I queried it. Yes it was just based on an estimate because the meter reader could not access the property. And then when I put a lock on the gate that is accessible by the meter readers at all times, they went in for the next reading and sent me a bill for about $250 or $300 dollars because the meter reading was differenmt from the last reading they took many many months before.
So, I din't pay for the bill and asked them for a refund of what was owed to me for the excess charges I paid previosuly. It took a while but then they issued me with a credit and every bill now due on that account is deducted from my credits. All ended up well.

But don't forget to keep an eye on all your energy bills.

View attachment 21464

View attachment 21466

Key Takeaways

Why is this legal!!! How can a company offering a utility service just make up a $ figure and demand that you pay it!! What is wrong with us that we except this, it’s crazy and we let them get away with it month after month!! This needs to be addressed by Government regulation. If they don’t make arrangements to read the meter they don’t get to produce a bill!!
I live in a unit block and the only access by key is by the power company I can’t even check my meter to see if what I’m paying is the amount I’m owing.

I hate when energy companies bill us on a estimate. It should be against the law. It happen to me a few times. I then found out that I could get a smart meter- one that they read it at the touch of a button-which I got it as I live in a block of units and all meters are locked so I couldn’t access it to take a photo.

Reactions: Macarj
We had the same problem they kept estimating the bill not even close to what it should have been after a year of complaining they said you can have an automatic reader installed for free so I said why don't you just do that for everyone he said we only offer it if people complain we have had no problem since

Reactions: Mr Chips
I hate when energy companies bill us on a estimate. It should be against the law. It happen to me a few times. I then found out that I could get a smart meter- one that they read it at the touch of a button-which I got it as I live in a block of units and all meters are locked so I couldn’t access it to take a photo.
Smart meters are not failsafe. Nor are they safe to be near for the EMFs they emit. You should have access to your meter. Request a key from distributor or landlord. Also, sleep as far away from your meter as possible.

Reactions: StephenNikita
WOW $250 for 6 months of electricity thats amazing, but I can't believe that at all December to May

Reactions: Trudi
Why is this legal!!! How can a company offering a utility service just make up a $ figure and demand that you pay it!! What is wrong with us that we except this, it’s crazy and we let them get away with it month after month!! This needs to be addressed by Government regulation. If they don’t make arrangements to read the meter they don’t get to produce a bill!!
I live in a unit block and the only access by key is by the power company I can’t even check my meter to see if what I’m paying is the amount I’m owing.
For you and those like you in unit blocks, you can get a universal key that will open all meter boxes. Just google Universal key for meter readings and you will see what I mean. Bunnings even have them!

Estimated readings happen occasonally and the usual reason given is that the meter was 'not accessible'. I ususlly just ignore it if the amount is within the expected range.

However, I was away for over 4 months (August to December) during the pandemic, a period of tme when my gas bill was normally around $800. Because of the low gas use, I received an estimated bill. No problem. I simply took a photo of the meter and forwarded it to the power retailer and they re-issued a new bill.

View attachment 21464

View attachment 21466

Key Takeaways

The shitehawks have no excuse for not reading my meters as they are easily accessible.

Smart meters are not failsafe. Nor are they safe to be near for the EMFs they emit. You should have access to your meter. Request a key from distributor or landlord. Also, sleep as far away from your meter as possible.
That's a bit scary, could you elaborate please as I have never heard of that?

Let's put it in this way. With my experience as outlined in my previous post, I rang the company (ORIGIN ENERGY) and told them several times that I cannot leave the property unlocked as I was advised by the Police not to do so, (Too many thefts in the area). I then told them that all the meter reader had to do was to send me a text message telling me that he would be there at a certain time and the day and that I would meet him there.
It was all to no avail. They continued charging me for that same fixed charges. And now they are refunding me in credits.

Hi Lelly, funny you are saying that but, think about it in this way, we have TELSTRA, Yes TELSTRA, charging you, me and everyone else, a fixed fee per months for access to their system. And that is so even when their system is down and not working.

Isn't that charging "FEES FOR NO SERVICE".??

And what is Government doing to stop it.??

Why do they doing this ??? No access to read, .then charged you by estimated ..Go to Fair Trading .

View attachment 21464

View attachment 21466

Key Takeaways

It's not like they're ripping us off already, just trying to get their hooks in deeper. Scoundrels ,just like the majority of big companies.

Why do they doing this ??? No access to read, .then charged you by estimated ..Go to Fair Trading .
If your request for a key is questioned tell them that the outsourced meter reader does not have a key (mine does not), aside from the fact you are legally entitled to one. That's their built-in excuse for quoting an estimate. If they can't access the meter it is easier to estimate. They are doing this in part because of unscrupulous people at the 'top' or just shear laziness. There is very little accountability in the industry from my pov. In addition to the Australian Energy Regulator, get your local mp involved. If you are unable to engage this way I could do a one off letter with cc's for you as a community service.

I had the same experience with DODO - by guestimating my consumption they overcharge me with couple of grands upfront for gas and electricity. When I found it, I was furious but retailer can do it and customers are not protected within current legislation Please get rid of DIRECT DEBIT to avoid such trap

View attachment 21464

View attachment 21466

Key Takeaways