Find out how much Aussies are paying for petrol as prices skyrocket!

The Great Australian Road Trip is a time-honoured tradition for many, especially for those who can explore this vast and beautiful country.

However, recent data has shown that this beloved pastime is becoming increasingly expensive, with petrol prices reaching record highs that are hitting the wallets of Australians harder than ever.

According to the latest figures from the National Roads and Motorists' Association (NRMA), petrol costs have soared to unprecedented levels.

Sydney, for instance, is experiencing one of the longest petrol price cycles in history, with peaks lasting seven weeks.

56631-shutterstock_2224074461.jpg
Petrol prices have soared, hitting the wallets of Aussies harder than ever. Credit: Shutterstock

The situation is exacerbated by the fact that a staggering 45 per cent of Sydney service stations are lingering at the higher end of the price cycle, charging the maximum prices possible.

The NRMA's research paints a stark picture: the average cost of regular unleaded petrol this year has peaked at 212.2 cents per litre.

When prices fall, they hit a low average of 182.3 cents per litre, leaving a significant gap of almost 30 cents per litre between the peak and trough of Sydney's price cycles.

The disparity between the cheapest and most expensive service stations in Sydney has also hit a record 59.2 cents per litre.

‘Price cycles are unique to Australia, and while we have seen them across our largest cities for almost two decades, we are now seeing similar trends in larger regional towns located near the capitals,’ NRMA spokesperson Peter Khoury said.

‘NRMA research exposed the reality of these cycles: they are lasting longer, prices rise up to three times faster than they fall.’

‘With this latest research we know that the majority of service stations in Sydney are charging the maximum price longer at the top of the cycle—there are no more outliers.’

This comes after when reports showed that Australian petrol prices rose by 7.7 per cent, which is more than double the country’s inflation rate of 3.8 per cent.

Contributing factors to the rising fuel costs include actions by the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries )OPEC), demands in major global economies, geopolitical tensions, and central banks' interest rate hikes to combat inflation.
Key Takeaways

• Australian motorists are currently paying more than ever for petrol, with new data from NRMA highlighting this trend.
  • Sydney is experiencing the longest petrol price cycles on record, sometimes taking up to seven weeks to reach the peak prices.
  • A significant gap exists between the highest and lowest petrol prices, with some Sydney service stations staying at the top end of the price cycle for extended periods and charging maximum prices.
  • The NRMA has launched a new program through their app to help Australians find cheaper petrol prices and save money at the pump.
How have rising petrol prices affected your travel plans? Do you have any tips for saving on fuel that you'd like to share with the community? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Paid $1.57.9 for E10 in Ballarat yesterday then also got 4c off per litre. I alway use “Petrol Spy” app to show me the cheapest wherever I am.

Reactions: croz and DLHM
This issue once again hits the spot that I continually preach.
If you believe an item, any item as gone up a ridiculous amount, DON’T buy it, leave it, and if the majority of the consumers did the same, the price will fall.
With petrol, fill up at lower end of price cycle, if you are really desperate for fuel, only do top ups.
‘The Consumer’ as huge powers, they need to be formulated and actioned simultaneously to work.
Just imagine, the Billion of dollars lost by oil companies, if the public didn’t by fuel for a day or two.
The consumer need to send strong messages to this company’s that keep hiking prices.
‘DON’T BUY, EMERGENCY ONLY’l

I sent off a letter to the NRMA Road Magazine when all this 'cycle rubbish' started. They didn't publish the letter so I contacted the Editor. He said that the letter was 'sort of inflammatory' so they didn't put in the Journal. What he really meant was they couldn't explain it. I thought the NRMA was 'for the motorists in NSW, apparantly not. Having, with a mate, we owned 2 servicr stns, so I had a number of contacts in the industry. The Petrol Companies collate the material gathered by the National Census. From this they know what areas have the most car ownership, the area incomes, car usage etc. From this they can deduce where and when the most petrol is being bought, along with their own data from delivery of fuel. From all this data they can sell fuel at various prices to maximise their profits. Enter the NRMA spokesperson, they only add to the problem by telling people on the Central Coast that petrol is 'very cheap' out west. I doubt motorists will drive all that way there and back to save 10cents/litre. However, this 'announcement' activates persons close to these western locations to 'duck across a short distance' to fill up. Up on the Central Coast a new trick has emerged. It seems that the Central Coast has been 'divided in areas', resulting in around the Gosford area the prices drop however, further north the prices stay high. At the moment north of Wyong the petrol has dropped in the last week, whereas the prices further south dropped a couple of weeks earlier. Also not every petrol station 'takes part in the cycle.' Some only adjust their prices by a few cents and only on some of their products. As for BP, Shell and Ampol, I think their petrol display boards are stuck as they rarely move. Some 'cycles' only last a few days, I passed a garage saw the fuel at a low price, I came back a few hours later and as I was about to pull in the price had gone back up to the high level. In Lake Haven the fuel has just dropped down however, school holidays are about to start so that will obviously coincide with a price rise. Loyalty to one type of fuel is a folly, shop at the cheapest all the time, when you can, is the only way to stick it to the 'monopoly giants', it is the same as 'Woolies and Coles,' only with fuel.

Over the past week or so Petrol around Sydney has been around $1.51 E10 and $1.55 ULP 19 these prices have been pretty much the same from Roselands, Bankstown, Padstow and Casula
Even down here near Wagga the prices are $1.50 to $1.55, very cheap compared to what we are used to.

There is no such thing as a price cycle in SA, it can jump 50c a litre overnight, and change back again in a few days, it's all over the place lately. So much for the price being output related, and this supposed cycle business is just an industry concocted scam that's never going to be cheaper than it is today like all fossil related energy. It's one of the few reasons people even consider EVs and sooner or later the powers that be will price themselves out of this market imo.

Reactions: croz and Jennylolo
I sent off a letter to the NRMA Road Magazine when all this 'cycle rubbish' started. They didn't publish the letter so I contacted the Editor. He said that the letter was 'sort of inflammatory' so they didn't put in the Journal. What he really meant was they couldn't explain it. I thought the NRMA was 'for the motorists in NSW, apparantly not. Having, with a mate, we owned 2 servicr stns, so I had a number of contacts in the industry. The Petrol Companies collate the material gathered by the National Census. From this they know what areas have the most car ownership, the area incomes, car usage etc. From this they can deduce where and when the most petrol is being bought, along with their own data from delivery of fuel. From all this data they can sell fuel at various prices to maximise their profits. Enter the NRMA spokesperson, they only add to the problem by telling people on the Central Coast that petrol is 'very cheap' out west. I doubt motorists will drive all that way there and back to save 10cents/litre. However, this 'announcement' activates persons close to these western locations to 'duck across a short distance' to fill up. Up on the Central Coast a new trick has emerged. It seems that the Central Coast has been 'divided in areas', resulting in around the Gosford area the prices drop however, further north the prices stay high. At the moment north of Wyong the petrol has dropped in the last week, whereas the prices further south dropped a couple of weeks earlier. Also not every petrol station 'takes part in the cycle.' Some only adjust their prices by a few cents and only on some of their products. As for BP, Shell and Ampol, I think their petrol display boards are stuck as they rarely move. Some 'cycles' only last a few days, I passed a garage saw the fuel at a low price, I came back a few hours later and as I was about to pull in the price had gone back up to the high level. In Lake Haven the fuel has just dropped down however, school holidays are about to start so that will obviously coincide with a price rise. Loyalty to one type of fuel is a folly, shop at the cheapest all the time, when you can, is the only way to stick it to the 'monopoly giants', it is the same as 'Woolies and Coles,' only with fuel.
The NRMA, RAA, etc all publish the same condescending waffle imo, they have no sensible explanation, and should be offering/promoting plans to fight back take action against this oppressive industry if they truly represented the motorist.

Reactions: magpie1 and Jennie
I got rid of my car and 4x4 years ago. No more fuel, registration, insurance or maintenance costs. With a seniors card here in WA I get free off-peak public transport and concession rates during peak times. It was a little inconvenient at first, but once I got used to it, I now enjoy stress free transport. As I am at the moment I don't really have anywhere I need to go and I'm in no real hurry to get there. Hehe.

Reactions: croz and magpie1
More utter scaremongering rubbish.
I filled up at a United station yesterday at $1.79 litre and has been that price in Melbourne for many many weeks.
Yes it has fluctuated between $1.76 - $1.90 but noot the rubbish you are talking.
Then again maybe NSWpeople are paying for us.

I’m not sure where your info is coming from and why you’ve only focused on Sydney but in my hometown in SA the fuel price is the cheapest I’ve seen it in years at $1.59 a litre for unleaded and $1.58 for deisel.
Perhaps look further afield for your articles.

Reactions: magpie1