Find out how a large ute parking failure at a Coles car park exposes a massive issue

The sight of a colossal US-style Ford ute sprawled across two parking bays at a Coles car park in southeast Melbourne has not only turned heads but also ignited a fiery debate about the suitability of Australia's infrastructure for such enormous vehicles.

As the number of large utes on Australian roads continues to rise, their size is proving to be a significant issue when it comes to parking spaces.

A shopper, amused by the sight, snapped a picture of the imposing ute and shared it online, quipping that the vehicle was so large it should come with its own air traffic control team.

'Should have his own traffic control team riding around in him with the size of that rig,' he wrote.

SDC 3.png
A large ute has taken over two parking spaces at a Coles car park. Image source: Facebook.

However, others were quick to point out that the driver had no other choice but to claim two parking spaces as the ute wouldn't fit into one.

'Look, it's not their fault that the parks aren't big enough,' one replied.

'If he tried to park within the lines, he’d be wasting his time, [it's] logical to park this way to leave room. Take out 2 parks instead of 3,' another added.

According to Budget Direct, in 2021, more than 50 per cent of cars sold in Australia were SUVs, and their popularity shows no signs of waning. And in 2023, the best-selling car model was the large Ford Ranger ute.

While some praised the driver’s rig, others questioned the necessity of such large vehicles on Aussie roads.

'Why do you need something this big?' one questioned, while another suggested adopting the mantra 'can’t park it, don’t drive it'.

Standards Australia has proposed increasing the length of a standard car park space to accommodate the increase in large car purchases.

However, experts warned that significant infrastructural changes would be required in size-restricted cities to accommodate these large utes.

'The question becomes, how do we use this space? If we want to make our car parks bigger, we get fewer of them, we lose space for bike lanes, we lose space for parks, we lose space for shops,' Monash University Lecturer Julian O'Shea said.

Some countries have suggested implementing higher parking fees for these large utes and restricting areas where they can be driven when space is at 'a premium'.
Key Takeaways
  • A Ford ute’s parking over two bays in a Coles car park has highlighted issues with large vehicles and parking spaces in Australia.
  • Discussions sparked over the increasing number of oversized utes on Australian roads and their impact on parking infrastructure.
  • The popularity of SUVs and large utes like the Ford Ranger continues to grow in Australia, with suggestions to increase parking space sizes to accommodate them.
  • Proposals for higher parking fees for large utes and restricting areas where they can be driven are being considered amidst concerns about urban space management.
What are your thoughts on this issue, members? Have you encountered any problems with large utes in your local area? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Reactions: Liag and Petra
Sponsored
Admittedly this is terrible parking, but the area was not busy. And in most of these car parks, Coles or other companies, are not responsible for them. They are usually privately owned.

The Americans use the correct term, it's not a ute but a truck.
These things are not trucks, they are toys for wannabe truckies who have never even seen the inside of a truck cab. Trucks are Scania, Western Star, Mack, Freightliner, Peterbilt, Kenworth etc.

Reactions: Ingot
It's a truck, not an SUV. Much the same as staff of these shopping centres, oversize trucks like this should have designated areas and potentially, like underground carparks, a high device that prevents the entitled to not park anywhere that isn't designated. Unfortunately, those that drive these unnecessarily large vehicles need reminders of that their entitlement has limitations. Previous govt (stupidly) encourage every tradie (including apprentices) to buy these pickup trucks with immediate tax right off. Every apprentice was told get an ABN and you can find a dealer that will give you the appropriate paperwork to claim back the tax (GST) and right off the purchase price. Then fit it out with an invoice that separates the purchase price from the final price to meet the tax requirement. Is why you now see P plates driving brand new Ford rangers and hilux utes. Also why, ford ranger is the biggest selling 'car' in Aust. (rules changes as of this tax year, so will most likely mean less of these will be sold).
Truck??? ROTFLMAO. These things are just utes. They are just toys for wannabe truckies who have never even seen inside the cab of a truck and want to show off. Trucks are Scania, Freightliner, Kenworth, Mack, Peterbilt, Western Star etc.

They want to change the regulation size of a carpark length, but will there be any extra width added so monster truck doors don't hit my car anymore 😩

Reactions: DLHM and Ingot
It is hilarious how some folk park their vehicles as if they are driving a prime mover. Equally laughable is that these things are often referred to as "trucks." They are toys not trucks. Trucks are Mack, Scania, Freightliner, Kenworth etc not GMC, RAM etc.
They are trucks the makes you refer to as trucks are tractors

• Haha
Reactions: I'm Mal
oversize vehicles should have their own parking spaces. Nowhere near me. a very ugly and unnecessary eyesore.

They are trucks the makes you refer to as trucks are tractors
Are you for real? What a joke!!!!! Tractors are vehicles with large wheels that pull things around farms. Makes include John Deere, Case, David Brown, New Holland, Claas, etc. Kenworth, Mack, Scania, etc are TRUCKS. Those other things like GMC, RAM etc are wannabee truckies show off toys and are known as utes.

Are you for real? What a joke!!!!! Tractors are vehicles with large wheels that pull things around farms. Makes include John Deere, Case, David Brown, New Holland, Claas, etc. Kenworth, Mack, Scania, etc are TRUCKS. Those other things like GMC, RAM etc are wannabee truckies show off toys and are known as utes.
Agree with @I'm Mal
We are not America - in fact I loathe the hijacking of language - whether by the English destroying French, or America destroying English.
Americans are so dumbed down as a nation, they can't spell, so resort to the phonetic spelling (nite, lite, etc)
We live in Oz - a 'Truck' is a large, heavy road vehicle used for carrying goods, materials, etc. Calling a 'truck a 'lorry' also conjures up the picture.

What Americans call a 'tractor' is what we would call a 'prime mover' used to pull semi-trailors, B-Doubles and so on.
I think we should stick to our own lane, and ignore the populist Americanisms.

There needs to be a conversation about how to accommodate such large toys in the shopping centres used by pensioners and people with 'regular' vehicles. It will happen, and those who park their toys in such a way as to infringe on the clear vision and ability to navigate other allocated car parking spaces, will be forced to comply.

Last edited:
Reactions: I'm Mal
Agree with @I'm Mal
We are not America - in fact I loathe the hijacking of language - whether by the English destroying French, or America destroying English.
Americans are so dumbed down as a nation, they can't spell, so resort to the phonetic spelling (nite, lite, etc)
We live in Oz - a 'Truck' is a large, heavy road vehicle used for carrying goods, materials, etc. Calling a 'truck a 'lorry' also conjures up the picture.

What Americans call a 'tractor' is what we would call a 'prime mover' used to pull semi-trailors, B-Doubles and so on.
I think we should stick to our own lane, and ignore the populist Americanisms.

There needs to be a conversation about how to accommodate such large toys in the shopping centres used by pensioners and people with 'regular' vehicles. It will happen, and those who park their toys in such a way as to infringe on the clear vision and ability to navigate other allocated car parking spaces, will be forced to comply.
I know it is foolish to make assumptions but I will go out on a limb and assume he has one of those toys and I have dented his ego a little bit.