Federal Government agrees with Robodebt Commission recommendations—except for one

The controversial Robodebt scheme has been described as 'cruel and crude' and rightly condemned for falsely accusing welfare recipients of owing debts.

Now, after a scathing Royal Commission report into the unlawful debt collection system, the federal government said it supports nearly all recommendations for reform.

Robodebt automatically issued debt notices to welfare recipients using an error-prone algorithm, often resulting in falsely claimed debts.

From 2016 until 2020, when it was finally scrapped, Robodebt wreaked havoc on vulnerable Australians. Hundreds of thousands of people received automated debt notices they did not actually owe.

Screenshot 2023-08-22 125310.png
The Robodebt Scheme automatically issued debt notices to welfare recipients using an error-prone algorithm, often resulting in falsely claimed debts. Credit: Shutterstock

The policy affected over half a million Australians, causing many to face worse financial situations. They had to take out loans, sell their cars, or use their savings to pay off a debt they were told to pay within weeks. Some felt vilified and ashamed after being told they owed money.

A royal commission helmed by Senior Barrister Catherine Holmes published its report in July, slamming Robodebt as 'a shameful chapter' in public administration.

She described the scheme as a ‘costly failure of public administration’ with ‘extensive, devastating, and continuing’ ill-effects in the 990-page report.

Additionally, the report put forth 57 recommendations for reform, which fall under these categories:
  • Effects of Robodebt on individuals
  • The concept of vulnerability
  • The roles of advocacy groups and legal services
  • Experiences of Human Services employees
  • Failures in the Budget process
  • Data-matching and exchanges
  • Automated decision making
  • Debt recovery and debt collectors
  • Lawyers and legal services
  • Administrative Appeals Tribunal
  • The Commonwealth Ombudsman
  • Improving the Australian Public Service

Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus said the government had accepted all recommendations except one—amending the Freedom of Information Act to enable access to cabinet documents.

He claimed that it was a 'closing comment' and not an official recommendation.

In its response, the government stated that it had already implemented some of the recommendations from the report regarding the unlawful debt collection scheme.

Government Services Minister Bill Shorten shared: ‘The government's already begun to move on a lot of these recommendations. In my portfolio, there are 26 recommendations.’

‘Even in the last week, we've announced 3,000 extra staff to make sure that we can process payments in a timely and accurate fashion,’ he added. ‘We've stopped using external debt collectors, which was a feature of the previous scheme under Robodebt."

Mr Dreyfus stated that the recommendations would prevent a similar scheme from occurring again.

‘The Australian people—and especially the hundreds of thousands of victims of the Robodebt Scheme—deserve so much better,’ he said. ‘The Robodebt Scheme was wrong. The Robodebt Scheme was unlawful. The Robodebt Scheme destroyed the lives of many innocent Australians.’

'We said we’d act to ensure that nothing like this can ever happen again, and today we take the next step toward delivering on that commitment,' Mr Dreyfus added.

You can watch ABC News’ coverage of the royal commission report here:

Key Takeaways
  • The federal government has accepted all but one of the recommendations from the Royal Commission into the Robodebt Scheme.
  • The government did not adopt the final recommendation to amend the Freedom of Information Act to reduce secrecy surrounding cabinet documents.
  • Some measures recommended by the report to prevent unlawful debt collection have already started to be implemented by the government.
  • The Robodebt Scheme, described as 'a crude and cruel mechanism, neither fair nor legal', was used by Services Australia from 2016 to 2020.

What do you think about the federal government’s exception, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Robodebt was horrendous for so many people, and even when the powers that be were warned of legal implications, they ignored the advice. Even if people are sacked because of their involvement, they will just go onto high paid jobs in the private sector. Laughing all the way to the bank while others suffered.

The controversial Robodebt scheme has been described as 'cruel and crude' and rightly condemned for falsely accusing welfare recipients of owing debts.

Now, after a scathing Royal Commission report into the unlawful debt collection system, the federal government said it supports nearly all recommendations for reform.

Robodebt automatically issued debt notices to welfare recipients using an error-prone algorithm, often resulting in falsely claimed debts.

From 2016 until 2020, when it was finally scrapped, Robodebt wreaked havoc on vulnerable Australians. Hundreds of thousands of people received automated debt notices they did not actually owe.

View attachment 34612
The Robodebt Scheme automatically issued debt notices to welfare recipients using an error-prone algorithm, often resulting in falsely claimed debts. Credit: Shutterstock

The policy affected over half a million Australians, causing many to face worse financial situations. They had to take out loans, sell their cars, or use their savings to pay off a debt they were told to pay within weeks. Some felt vilified and ashamed after being told they owed money.

A royal commission helmed by Senior Barrister Catherine Holmes published its report in July, slamming Robodebt as 'a shameful chapter' in public administration.

She described the scheme as a ‘costly failure of public administration’ with ‘extensive, devastating, and continuing’ ill-effects in the 990-page report.

Additionally, the report put forth 57 recommendations for reform, which fall under these categories:

Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus said the government had accepted all recommendations except one—amending the Freedom of Information Act to enable access to cabinet documents.

In its response, the government stated that it had already implemented some of the recommendations from the report regarding the unlawful debt collection scheme.

Government Services Minister Bill Shorten shared: ‘The government's already begun to move on a lot of these recommendations. In my portfolio, there are 26 recommendations.’

‘Even in the last week, we've announced 3,000 extra staff to make sure that we can process payments in a timely and accurate fashion,’ he added. ‘We've stopped using external debt collectors, which was a feature of the previous scheme under Robodebt."

Mr Dreyfus stated that the recommendations would prevent a similar scheme from occurring again.

‘The Australian people—and especially the hundreds of thousands of victims of the Robodebt Scheme—deserve so much better,’ he said. ‘The Robodebt Scheme was wrong. The Robodebt Scheme was unlawful. The Robodebt Scheme destroyed the lives of many innocent Australians.’

'We said we’d act to ensure that nothing like this can ever happen again, and today we take the next step toward delivering on that commitment,' Mr Dreyfus added.

Key Takeaways

• The federal government has accepted all but one of the recommendations from the Royal Commission into the Robodebt Scheme.
  • The government did not adopt the final recommendation to amend the Freedom of Information Act to reduce secrecy surrounding cabinet documents.
  • Some measures recommended by the report to prevent unlawful debt collection have already started to be implemented by the government.
  • The Robodebt Scheme, described as 'a crude and cruel mechanism, neither fair nor legal', was used by Services Australia from 2016 to 2020.

What do you think about the federal government’s exception, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

A Labor government fixing a LNP government F#ck up like all the rest the scumbag parasites have left behind 🙄

IF THEY AMENDED THE LAWS, IT WOULD MEAN THAT THE PUBLIC, THE TAPXPAYER, THE GOVERNMENT'S EMPLOYER, COULD ACTUALLY SEE WHO SCREWED UP AND WHO SHOULD BE FIRED!
IT WOULD ALSO ALLOW RESEARCH INTO WHO LIED TO THE ROYAL COMMISSION.,

Reactions: Ewa and Docit
I have very little respect for our elected public servants & unfortunately I have very little more for those who are public servants as I spent 30 years of my life within one such agency & to be honest I only wish I could have got my employer & its union into a public court It is on of the only places that I know of that rewards staff for being slow that will almost bend over backwards to save public scrutiny of their operations.

I have very little respect for our elected public servants & unfortunately I have very little more for those who are public servants as I spent 30 years of my life within one such agency & to be honest I only wish I could have got my employer & its union into a public court It is on of the only places that I know of that rewards staff for being slow that will almost bend over backwards to save public scrutiny of their operations.
Totally agree, dud a lot of temp office work back in the late 60s in many different so called public service departments.
In every case I have never worked in such a disorganized, wasteful, slow and lazy work place. The temp girls produced more than double the outcome of work than the permanent work force, despite them having the advantage, or at least should have,
of having more knowledge of the way things worked having been in the job much longer
In those days we used to have to take RSI breaks, away from the typewriter.
In the public sector your tea breaks, lunch break etc were counted as such breaks. Not in these public service jobs, they would tack these 15 minute breaks on to the other breaks, wasting more time and public money.
And then, of course, the smokers had to have their smoko breaks. Nobody appeared to be in charge or keeping track on how much time was being wasted by dozens of staff..
Wonder if anything has changed.

Reactions: franzp

View attachment 34612

Key Takeaways

The people you have cheated, pay the money back to them. I queried Robodebt and I had Payment Summaries to back the hours I worked in Security. I was charged for hours I didn't work. I was told to pay the debt which I didn't have
Pay back the money. Be fair

The people you have cheated, pay the money back to them. I queried Robodebt and I had Payment Summaries to back the hours I worked in Security. I was charged for hours I didn't work. I was told to pay the debt which I didn't have
Pay back the money. Be fair
I think I heard that there is a class action under way.