Farewell to two icons: Actress Jane Birkin and Mainland Cheese's actor Terry Procter pass away

They were both vastly different people with very different backgrounds, but Jane Birkin and Terry Procter left a lasting mark on the world. As we mourn their passing, let's take some time to celebrate their lives.

At 76 years old, iconic actress, singer and style icon Jane Birkin from England had her last breath on Sunday at her home in Paris. The cause of death has yet to be revealed, but it was only two months ago that she cancelled some of her upcoming concerts due to health concerns.

Birkin made her name known to people all over the world when she served as inspiration for the famous Hermès Birkin bag. She even told The New York Times Style Magazine in 2010 that it was by chance that the luxurious accessory was born.

'I was on an aeroplane when a plastic bag holding all my things broke, and everything fell out—my date book, papers, everything,' she recalled.

Credit: mtorringa.

She went on to explain that it was the designer of Hermès who was sitting next to her on the plane, and Birkin took full advantage of the opportunity to suggest their next design.

'They already had the Kelly bag, named after Grace Kelly, so he began work on the Birkin bag. I went down to the atelier, and he had made it in cardboard. And we talked about it, and I said they should make some changes, like making pockets bigger. And that's how it was made.'

Birkin was famous for another big reason; her passionate romance with Serge Gainsbourg. They had two children together and even sang a juicy love song called 'Je t'aime … moi non plus', which features her very well-known 'erotic' breathing sounds.

On the topic of death, Birkin had said before, 'We are all a little scared of death when we feel it approaching. The idea is so distant, so abstract. We have trouble imagining it.'

'Over the last three years, I have come close to it twice and surprisingly, I didn't panic. I was more frightened of not having time to say what I wanted to say, to leave things in order, to be forgiven.'

Screen Shot 2023-07-17 at 8.44.36 AM.png
The world of film and entertainment has experienced a huge loss in the past week, with two much-loved screen legends leaving us: Jane Birkin and Terry Procter. Credit: Facebook/Jane Birkin, Stuff.co.nz.

Another passing from the world last week was 84-year-old Terry Procter, best known for his work in New Zealand advertising. For more than a decade, Procter and co-star Kevin Corcoran were seen on screen using the catchphrase 'Good things take time,' in the beloved Mainland Cheese commercials.

Much like Birkin's story, Procter didn't initially plan to become an actor. He was out with friends on a fishing trip when he got scouted by a talent scout due to his jovial nature, and thus began his acting career.

He and Corcoran developed a strong friendship through the filming of the ads, and they remained so until Corcoran's death in 2012 at the age of 78 which, according to Procter's son Charlie, broke his father's heart.

Procter was beloved in his local community and known as the 'cheese man' to locals in Picton. Charlie remembers his father as someone who 'wasn't too keen' on the role at first but eventually pushed himself into the role, wearing 'a singlet and gumboots' to the first audition.

While Procter and Corcoran weren't too bothered with the money they made from the business, they both immersed themselves in charity work and helping those around them.

The duo left a lasting impact in the southern region, as shop owners were fond of capturing moments with Procter whenever he came to visit. Charlie himself had an interesting encounter at a pub where he found himself seated opposite a wall adorned with a picture of his father.

His father was known for being a resilient man who passed wisdom on to his family and those around him.

'He always said to me, “Don't let life consume you too much; just enjoy what you can actually hang onto.” I've never forgotten that,' said Charlie.

Key Takeaways

• English singer, actress, and style icon Jane Birkin, who inspired the iconic Hermès Birkin bag, passed away at 76.
  • Birkin's accomplished career spanned acting, music, and fashion, with her tumultuous relationship with Serge Gainsbourg garnering particular worldwide interest.
  • Terry Procter, an iconic figure in New Zealand advertising who famously starred in Mainland Cheese commercials, died aged 84.
  • Procter, fondly known as 'the cheese man', is remembered as a generous and hardworking man who enjoyed an unexpected turn towards acting in advertisements.

Though we may not be able to capture the greatness of these two icons and their legacies, we can continue to remember how special and unique their contributions to the world were!

Rest in peace, Jane Birkin and Terry Procter.

Sponsored
Listen to the video it should jog a few memories with Jane Birkin Serge Gainsbourg and her partner singing one of the most sultry duets ever recorded ( if not the most) And the Kiwi cheese man.. always a favourite. RIP

They were both vastly different people with very different backgrounds, but Jane Birkin and Terry Procter left a lasting mark on the world. As we mourn their passing, let's take some time to celebrate their lives.

At 76 years old, iconic actress, singer and style icon Jane Birkin from England had her last breath on Sunday at her home in Paris. The cause of death has yet to be revealed, but it was only two months ago that she cancelled some of her upcoming concerts due to health concerns.

Birkin made her name known to people all over the world when she served as inspiration for the famous Hermès Birkin bag. She even told The New York Times Style Magazine in 2010 that it was by chance that the luxurious accessory was born.

'I was on an aeroplane when a plastic bag holding all my things broke, and everything fell out—my date book, papers, everything,' she recalled.

Credit: mtorringa.

She went on to explain that it was the designer of Hermès who was sitting next to her on the plane, and Birkin took full advantage of the opportunity to suggest their next design.

'They already had the Kelly bag, named after Grace Kelly, so he began work on the Birkin bag. I went down to the atelier, and he had made it in cardboard. And we talked about it, and I said they should make some changes, like making pockets bigger. And that's how it was made.'

Birkin was famous for another big reason; her passionate romance with Serge Gainsbourg. They had two children together and even sang a juicy love song called 'Je t'aime … moi non plus', which features her very well-known 'erotic' breathing sounds.

On the topic of death, Birkin had said before, 'We are all a little scared of death when we feel it approaching. The idea is so distant, so abstract. We have trouble imagining it.'

'Over the last three years, I have come close to it twice and surprisingly, I didn't panic. I was more frightened of not having time to say what I wanted to say, to leave things in order, to be forgiven.'

View attachment 25270
The world of film and entertainment has experienced a huge loss in the past week, with two much-loved screen legends leaving us: Jane Birkin and Terry Procter. Credit: Facebook/Jane Birkin, Stuff.co.nz.

Another passing from the world last week was 84-year-old Terry Procter, best known for his work in New Zealand advertising. For more than a decade, Procter and co-star Kevin Corcoran were seen on screen using the catchphrase 'Good things take time,' in the beloved Mainland Cheese commercials.

Much like Birkin's story, Procter didn't initially plan to become an actor. He was out with friends on a fishing trip when he got scouted by a talent scout due to his jovial nature, and thus began his acting career.

He and Corcoran developed a strong friendship through the filming of the ads, and they remained so until Corcoran's death in 2012 at the age of 78 which, according to Procter's son Charlie, broke his father's heart.

Procter was beloved in his local community and known as the 'cheese man' to locals in Picton. Charlie remembers his father as someone who 'wasn't too keen' on the role at first but eventually pushed himself into the role, wearing 'a singlet and gumboots' to the first audition.

While Procter and Corcoran weren't too bothered with the money they made from the business, they both immersed themselves in charity work and helping those around them.

The duo left a lasting impact in the southern region, as shop owners were fond of capturing moments with Procter whenever he came to visit. Charlie himself had an interesting encounter at a pub where he found himself seated opposite a wall adorned with a picture of his father.

His father was known for being a resilient man who passed wisdom on to his family and those around him.

'He always said to me, “Don't let life consume you too much; just enjoy what you can actually hang onto.” I've never forgotten that,' said Charlie.

Key Takeaways

• English singer, actress, and style icon Jane Birkin, who inspired the iconic Hermès Birkin bag, passed away at 76.
  • Birkin's accomplished career spanned acting, music, and fashion, with her tumultuous relationship with Serge Gainsbourg garnering particular worldwide interest.
  • Terry Procter, an iconic figure in New Zealand advertising who famously starred in Mainland Cheese commercials, died aged 84.
  • Procter, fondly known as 'the cheese man', is remembered as a generous and hardworking man who enjoyed an unexpected turn towards acting in advertisements.

Though we may not be able to capture the greatness of these two icons and their legacies, we can continue to remember how special and unique their contributions to the world were!

Rest in peace, Jane Birkin and Terry Procter.

Wow another two gone, it is sad to hear.
May you rest in peace Thanks for the memories that we will carry on for you both. From what I do recall these 2 wonderful people will be keeping our passed loved ones entertainment that's for sure!
May you rest in peace