Farewell, legend: Celebrating the life of country music icon Joy McKean

Country music fans around the world are mourning the death of Joy McKean, who passed away peacefully in her sleep surrounded by her loving family on Thursday.

The trailblazing icon of Australian country music and devoted wife of the late Slim Dusty has passed away at the age of 93 after a long battle with cancer.

EMI, Ms McKean’s record company, made the announcement, reporting that while a long battle with her illness may have claimed her physical presence, her enduring legacy lives on.

‘With heavy and sad hearts, we advise the passing of Joy McKean,’ said EMI in a heartfelt statement.

‘She will be remembered as a pioneer in Australian music.’

guitar1.jpg
Joy McKean had been dubbed as a ‘national treasure’. Credit: Quốc Bảo/Pexels

Throughout her illustrious career, Ms McKean garnered numerous accolades and earned her well-deserved title as the ‘grand lady’ of Australian country music.

But her talent reached far beyond her own music; with her collaboration alongside her husband Slim Dusty, she etched her name in history as an extraordinary songwriter.

The superstar penned many of Slim's most celebrated songs, including the timeless classic, ‘Lights on the Hill’, which earned her the very first Golden Guitar award at the Tamworth Country Music Festival.

The song was inspired by Ms McKean’s experience towing a caravan up the Devil’s Pinch, near Guyra, on the NSW Northern Tablelands.

It is believed that the rainy night trip on the highway made it more challenging because the vehicle’s headlight dimmer switch was on the floor near the brake, and Ms McKean could only use one foot because she was wearing a leg calliper.

‘I'd have my high beam on to see where the next turn was, a truck would come over, and I'd cop it fair in the eyes. I knew if I took my foot off [the accelerator] for too long, the vehicle would either stall or start slipping back because of the weight of the van,’ she said in a previous interview with reporters.

Her musical partnership with Slim produced over 100 albums, sold over 8 million albums and earned 45 Golden Guitars.

Yet, Joy’s contributions didn’t end there. As Slim’s manager, she was the backbone of their musical empire, handling the business side of their partnership and lovingly raising their family.

Speaking about Ms McKean and Slim Dusty’s relationship, Keith Urban once said: ‘They say behind every great man is a great woman, but I say in Slim’s case, she was right beside him.’

Meanwhile, Paul Kelly once dubbed Ms McKean as ‘one of our greatest songwriters’.

Born in January 1930 in the charming town of Singleton, NSW, Ms McKean's passion for music blossomed early on.

Encouraged by her parents, she and her sister, Heather, both learned how to play multiple instruments and sing from a young age. The pair became known for their yodelling and had a 30-minute live radio show as the McKean Sisters.

The sisters eventually recorded their own hits, including ‘Yodel Down the Valley’, in the early 1950s.

Her marriage to Slim Dusty saw the beginning of a love affair that would span over 50 years.

The couple's devotion to one another, as well as their shared love for music, helped shape the foundation of Australian country music.

Sadly, Slim Dusty left this world in 2003 at the age of 76 but also remained forever imprinted in our hearts as a symbol of the true Aussie spirit.

Joy is survived by her children, Anne Kirkpatrick and David Kirkpatrick, her grandchildren, and her great-grandchildren, all of whom can take inspiration and solace knowing that her incredible legacy lives on.

As we say our goodbyes to Joy McKean, let us remember her unyielding spirit, resilience, and dedication to both her beloved husband and the music industry.

She may no longer be here physically with us, but her iconic presence and indisputable influence on Australian country music will be felt for years to come. Rest in peace, Joy McKean – a true legend in every sense of the word.
Key Takeaways
  • Country music icon Joy McKean has passed away at the age of 93.
  • Ms McKean was the wife and manager of her late husband Slim Dusty and known as the ‘grand lady’ of Australian country music.
  • She was a multi-award-winning songwriter and musician and was considered a pioneer in Australian music.
  • Ms McKean is survived by her children, four grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren.
Today we take the time to remember her great contributions to country music and thank her for her years of service to the Australian music industry. She will be deeply missed. Did you ever met Joy or witnessed her live performances? Share your memories with us in the comments below.

• Sad
Reactions: Liag
Sponsored
Country music fans around the world are mourning the death of Joy McKean, who passed away peacefully in her sleep surrounded by her loving family on Thursday.

The trailblazing icon of Australian country music and devoted wife of the late Slim Dusty has passed away at the age of 93 after a long battle with cancer.

EMI, Ms McKean’s record company, made the announcement, reporting that while a long battle with her illness may have claimed her physical presence, her enduring legacy lives on.

‘With heavy and sad hearts, we advise the passing of Joy McKean,’ said EMI in a heartfelt statement.

‘She will be remembered as a pioneer in Australian music.’

View attachment 20876
Joy McKean had been dubbed as a ‘national treasure’. Credit: Quốc Bảo/Pexels

Throughout her illustrious career, Ms McKean garnered numerous accolades and earned her well-deserved title as the ‘grand lady’ of Australian country music.

But her talent reached far beyond her own music; with her collaboration alongside her husband Slim Dusty, she etched her name in history as an extraordinary songwriter.

The superstar penned many of Slim's most celebrated songs, including the timeless classic, ‘Lights on the Hill’, which earned her the very first Golden Guitar award at the Tamworth Country Music Festival.

The song was inspired by Ms McKean’s experience towing a caravan up the Devil’s Pinch, near Guyra, on the NSW Northern Tablelands.

It is believed that the rainy night trip on the highway made it more challenging because the vehicle’s headlight dimmer switch was on the floor near the brake, and Ms McKean could only use one foot because she was wearing a leg calliper.

‘I'd have my high beam on to see where the next turn was, a truck would come over, and I'd cop it fair in the eyes. I knew if I took my foot off [the accelerator] for too long, the vehicle would either stall or start slipping back because of the weight of the van,’ she said in a previous interview with reporters.

Her musical partnership with Slim produced over 100 albums, sold over 8 million albums and earned 45 Golden Guitars.

Yet, Joy’s contributions didn’t end there. As Slim’s manager, she was the backbone of their musical empire, handling the business side of their partnership and lovingly raising their family.

Speaking about Ms McKean and Slim Dusty’s relationship, Keith Urban once said: ‘They say behind every great man is a great woman, but I say in Slim’s case, she was right beside him.’

Meanwhile, Paul Kelly once dubbed Ms McKean as ‘one of our greatest songwriters’.

Born in January 1930 in the charming town of Singleton, NSW, Ms McKean's passion for music blossomed early on.

Encouraged by her parents, she and her sister, Heather, both learned how to play multiple instruments and sing from a young age. The pair became known for their yodelling and had a 30-minute live radio show as the McKean Sisters.

The sisters eventually recorded their own hits, including ‘Yodel Down the Valley’, in the early 1950s.

Her marriage to Slim Dusty saw the beginning of a love affair that would span over 50 years.

The couple's devotion to one another, as well as their shared love for music, helped shape the foundation of Australian country music.

Sadly, Slim Dusty left this world in 2003 at the age of 76 but also remained forever imprinted in our hearts as a symbol of the true Aussie spirit.

Joy is survived by her children, Anne Kirkpatrick and David Kirkpatrick, her grandchildren, and her great-grandchildren, all of whom can take inspiration and solace knowing that her incredible legacy lives on.

As we say our goodbyes to Joy McKean, let us remember her unyielding spirit, resilience, and dedication to both her beloved husband and the music industry.

She may no longer be here physically with us, but her iconic presence and indisputable influence on Australian country music will be felt for years to come. Rest in peace, Joy McKean – a true legend in every sense of the word.
Key Takeaways

• Country music icon Joy McKean has passed away at the age of 93.
  • Ms McKean was the wife and manager of her late husband Slim Dusty and known as the ‘grand lady’ of Australian country music.
  • She was a multi-award-winning songwriter and musician and was considered a pioneer in Australian music.
  • Ms McKean is survived by her children, four grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren.
Today we take the time to remember her great contributions to country music and thank her for her years of service to the Australian music industry. She will be deeply missed. Did you ever met Joy or witnessed her live performances? Share your memories with us in the comments below.

I was fortunate enough to attend the concert in Tamworth for Slim after he passed away 20 years ago. Seeing Joy and Anne and all the kids and grandkids performing for Slim brought a tear to my eye. What an amazing contribution to country music in Australia this whole family has done. Thank you Joy, Slim and family.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
I attended a country music show in Muswellbrook NSW about 50 years ago. Joy and Slim, Reg Lindsay and Heather McKean, who was his wife at the time and quite a few other old time country and western artists performed. It was one of the most enjoyable shows I have ever attended.