SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jonathan Leane

Jonathan Leane

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2021
Fancy a tipple? An introduction to 10 different types of wine for the uninitiated

I'll be the first to admit it - my palette is, being generous, pretty basic. I like what I like, and I'm not much of an adventurous drinker. So, when it comes to red wine, I usually just order whatever the house red or white is, or if I’m at the bottle-o I’ll pick the label that grabs my attention the most (I know - *so* uncultured).

However, there is a huge range of different types of wine out there, each with its own distinct flavour, and it can be helpful to know a bit about them before you order. So, whether you're a wine novice or a budding sommelier, here's a quick guide to ten of the most popular types.

1. Merlot

Merlot is a red wine grape that is used to produce a variety of wines, from light and fruity to full-bodied and complex. Merlot wines are typically medium-bodied, with soft tannins and flavours of blackberry, plum, and chocolate. Merlot is often blended with other red wines, such as Cabernet Sauvignon, to add depth and complexity.

By the way, how 'bodied' a wine is refers to the weight of the wine on your tongue. So, a light-bodied wine will feel thin and watery, while a full-bodied wine will feel rich and creamy. And as for tannins, they're natural, bitter, compounds in wood, bark, leaves and the fruit of plants as various as oak, rhubarb, tea, walnut, cranberry, cacao and, of course, grapes. Tannins give the wine its astringent, dry taste, and also help to preserve it.

Merlot's pair well with grilled or roasted red meats, as the soft tannins won't overwhelm the palate.

2. Cabernet Sauvignon

This is probably the most well-known type of red wine, and it's often described as being full-bodied with a dark fruity flavour. Cabernet Sauvignon is made from a particular type of grape, and it's usually a bit higher in alcohol than other red wines.

It pairs well with red meat and strong cheeses, and it's a good choice if you're looking for a red wine that will age well. It rests comfortably for a minimum of 7-10 years.

According to Wikipedia, “Cabernet Sauvignon is the second most widely planted red wine grape in Australia, following Shiraz.”

Cabernet Sauvignon pairs well with almost all red meat such as a hearty steak or burger. For any vegetarians, it also goes well with portobello mushrooms.

3. Pinot Noir

Pinot Noir is a type of red wine made predominantly from the pinot noir grape. It's a light-bodied wine with high acidity and is often described as having flavours of cherry, raspberry, and even spice (when aged in oak). Pinot Noir is a popular choice for pairing with food, as its light body means it doesn't overpower delicate dishes. Pinot Noir is often used in Champagne blends (along with Pinot Meunier, and Chardonnay) to bring forward flavours of red fruit and add body, but can also be enjoyed on its own. It is considered one of the smoothest red wines to drink.

Pinot Noir pairs well with salmon, duck and pasta.

4. Sangiovese

Sangiovese is a type of red wine that originates from Italy. It is usually a dry, light to medium-bodied wine, with high acidity and moderate tannins. Flavours you might find in a Sangiovese include cherry, strawberry, and earthy notes.

While relatively rare in Australia, Sangiovese is one of the most planted grape varieties in the world and is used in the production of some of Italy's most famous wines, such as Chianti.

Sangiovese is a very food-friendly wine that can be enjoyed with most dishes. It pairs best with hearty meat or tomato-based pasta dishes.

5. Zinfandel

A fruity, full-bodied red wine, Zinfandel is a great choice if you're looking for something rich and flavourful. It's perfect with hearty dishes like steak or lamb, and its high alcohol content (the grape's high sugar content can be fermented into levels of alcohol exceeding 15 per cent.) means it's best enjoyed in small glasses.

6. Shiraz / Syrah

Shiraz (also known as ‘Syrah’) is a type of red wine that originates from the Syrah grape. It's a full-bodied wine with high tannin levels, meaning it can be quite astringent. Shiraz wines are usually deeply coloured and have a fruity, peppery flavour.

Shiraz pairs well with red meat and strong cheese.

According to Wikipedia, Shiraz is the most commonly grown grape in Australia. It goes on to note:

"A well-known example of the Shiraz grape in Australian viticulture is the Penfolds "Grange". This wine was created by winemaker Max Schubert in 1951 and has a reputation for aging well. The Penfolds Grange is predominantly Shiraz but often includes a small quantity of Cabernet Sauvignon. It is usually a multi-regional blend of quality South Australian Shiraz, with the Barossa Valley playing an important role, and matured in new American Oak. Other well-known Australian Shiraz wines include the Henschke "Hill of Grace" and the Penfolds RWT."

Be warned, Penfolds "Grange" will set you back upwards of $700 per bottle!

7. Malbec

Malbec is a type of red wine that originates from the southwest of France. It is known for its deep purple colour and full-bodied flavour, which is often described as being "fruity" or " spicy". Malbec is a popular choice for red wine drinkers who are looking for a wine that is both easy to drink and has a strong flavour.

These days, it's common to find Malbec wines from other countries, such as Argentina and Chile. These New World versions of Malbec tend to be slightly lighter in body than the French originals, but they still retain the signature deep purple colour and full flavour.

Malbec is a great match for steak, pork, and lamb, as well as fattier fish like salmon and poultry with dark meat.

8. Barbera

Barbera is a red wine grape that is native to the Piedmont region of Italy. It is the third most planted grape variety in the country and is also grown in other regions such as Lombardy, Emilia-Romagna and Tuscany. Barbera wines are typically medium-bodied with high acidity and relatively low tannins. They can have a wide range of flavours, from cherry and raspberry to more earthy, truffle-like notes. You can expect notes of strawberry and sour cherry: flavors synonymous with light-bodied wines.

Barbera is a versatile red that will happily partner with any meaty dish you throw at it.

9. Chardonnay

Chardonnay is a type of white wine that is made using the chardonnay grape. It is often described as being a "dry, medium to full-bodied" wine and has a creamy, buttery taste. Chardonnay is a popular choice for pairing with food, as its rich flavour can stand up to richer dishes.

Originally from the Burgundy region of France, Chardonnay is now produced all over the world, and you'll find many different styles of chardonnay to choose from. For example, "unoaked" Chardonnay has a more fruity flavour, while Chardonnay that has been aged in oak barrels will have a more woody, vanilla flavour.

Chardonnay is a great go-to wine with light meats and seafood. It also pairs beautifully with anything buttery or nutty.

10. Riesling

Riesling is a white wine made from the Riesling grape, which is native to the Mosel region of Germany. Rieslings are typically light-bodied and have a characteristic floral aroma and fruity flavour. While many find this wine “too sweet” it is generally a dry wine, however, the fruity taste can be too overpowering for some palates. Rieslings pair well with lighter fare such as chicken or fish and are also a good choice for dessert.

Riesling is a great summer wine because it is so light and refreshing.

So, there you have it - ten of the most popular varieties of wine. Next time you're in a restaurant or wine store, why not give one of these a try? Let us know if we left out any of your favourites, or whether you have any particular recommendations (particularly if they’re reasonably priced!)

Reactions: Ricci
There is far too much hogwash spoken about wines by these so called experts. Everybody has their own favourites and should be left in peace to enjoy it.:)

Reactions: JudyM
Thank you. I found this introduction to be very useful. I only drink sparkling white wine or chardonnay. I always struggle when I need to buy wine for someone else or for a group event. I will admit though, when I find an interesting or amusing label, it does tend to grab my attention!

Reactions: Ricci