Famous sports presenter announces biggest career update: 'I have been so lucky'

In an ever-changing media landscape, television personalities often take new turns in their careers.

This could leave watchers surprised and eager to see what's next.

For fans of one sports presenter, his recent announcement stirred up excitement and bittersweet sentiment.

Tony Armstrong, a bright and engaging presence on ABC News Breakfast since 2020, announced that he is leaving the program.

He announced his departure from the show yesterday and will host his final show in October.

Armstrong's rise to fame has been meteoric.

Two years after winning a Logie award for Best New Talent, he was nominated for his first Gold Logie this year.

compressed-tony armstrong.jpeg
Tony Armstrong shared a photo of him with the ABC News Breakfast team after he made the announcement. Image Credit: Instagram/Tony Armstrong

While nervous about the announcement, he shared the growth he experienced at ABC.

'I just want to thank Brekky and the broader ABC News team for welcoming me in with open arms and helping me grow over the past few years,' Armstrong shared.

'It feels like I've been on a bit of a rocket ship.'

Throughout his announcement, he acknowledged the people throughout his career.

'I have been so lucky to be surrounded by an incredible team. It's those friendships that I'm going to cherish the most,' he added.

His departure is not just a loss for ABC but also for the viewers who have come to enjoy his refreshing take on sports.

His co-hosts paid tributes upon news of his departure.

'I am so sorry three years of talking sport and swapping gags with Tony is about to end,' Michael Rowland shared.

'He is an engaging colleague and a good friend.'

Bridget Brennan praised Armstrong as a 'wonderful friend' and emphasised the significance of his role for First Nations viewers.

Despite not appearing on the telly anymore, Tony Armstrong channelled his creative energy into new ventures.

Before announcing his departure, Armstrong revealed that he wrote his first-ever children's book, George The Wizard.

The book was co-created with illustrator Emma Sjaan Beukers and should be released in October.

Armstrong's decision to venture into children's literature was a bold step away from an expected path.

He shared that he 'didn't want to write another footy story or an Indigenous-led story', something his followers anticipated.

As we bid farewell to Tony Armstrong from ABC News Breakfast, we eagerly anticipate the magic he will bring to the world of literature.
Key Takeaways
  • Tony Armstrong announced his departure from ABC News Breakfast after his stint as a sports reporter.
  • His colleagues expressed their appreciation for him and noted his engaging nature and impact on First Nations viewers.
  • Armstrong was grateful for the opportunities and friendships he fostered throughout his time at the ABC.
  • He announced the release of his first children's book, George The Wizard, set for release in October.
Have you enjoyed Tony Armstrong's sports segments on ABC? What do you think of his career move? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
An absolute legendary human! A role model for men young and old across this country. A rare and humble GENTLEMAN. His refreshing personality, his humour , his decency will be missed. Thank you for making sports reporting fun and interesting, Best Wishes Tony

Hubby and I have enjoyed watching Tony on TV, he is an inspiration to for generations young and old. Hopefully he will pop up in other areas of the entertainment industry, he is a much more refreshing personality than a lot on TV. We are sure he will be successful in whatever he does going forward and wish him good luck.

I love Tony, but he has hardly been there for the last year. Once again, he has not fronted today. Perhaps he has personal issues we are not aware of. Anyway, time for a new era. I am hoping the wonderful South Aussie Charles Bryce gets the gig, or the equally talented Emma, another wonderful South Australian. In case you didn't catch on, i'm a Proud South Australian.

Reactions: PattiB