Family sues a restaurant in federal court over $364 lobster dinner!

In a world where social media can make or break someone’s reputation, a family of food bloggers is embroiled in a legal battle with a local restaurant over a lobster meal that has taken social media by storm.

The family alleged that they were unfairly labelled as 'fraudulent diners' by the restaurant, leading to a barrage of online abuse and threats.

On Christmas Day 2020, Jennifer Do and her daughters, Belinda and Julie Nguyen, decided to dine at the Silver Pearl, a popular Chinese restaurant in Cabramatta, western Sydney.

The family, known for their food reviews and culinary adventures online, ordered a lobster meal, among other dishes.

However, they claimed that the sashimi seemed off and the lobster didn't look right, suspecting it was frozen and not fresh as advertised.

toa-heftiba-BmjuEqM4YOY-unsplash.jpg
A family believed that the lobster they ordered in the restaurant was not as fresh as advertised. Credit: Toa Heftiba/Unsplash

In a controversial move, the family decided to leave cash on the table to cover the cost of their wine but not the food, asserting that the quality of the meal did not meet their expectations.

What followed was a series of events that would lead to a federal court case.

In the days following their visit, the restaurant took to social media to accuse the family of faking gastro and not paying for their $364 lobster dinner.

A post featuring a photo of the family was captioned: 'Beware fraudulent diners.'

This public accusation led to a wave of online backlash against the family, who claimed they were inundated by online trolls, forcing them to delete their social media account, which had amassed 76,000 followers.

The impact of the social media storm was not just virtual. The family alleged that the restaurant's post sparked death threats, which continue to this day.

'Whenever I go out now, I feel unsafe because people call me a prostitute and scammer,' Do told the media.

'I’m being harassed online, in public...I’ve been stalked, and I’ve received rape threats,' Belinda shared.

In 2021, the family lodged an appeal in court, seeking justice for the alleged defamation and harassment.

The case is set to be heard in Federal Court on October 31, 2024.

'We want to highlight the truth of the events so we can walk the streets safely without fear of being attacked or followed,' Belinda added.

Silver Pearl management, on the other hand, has vowed to 'vigorously defend their position in court'.

You can watch A Current Affair’s coverage of the story:

Key Takeaways
  • A family of food influencers is taking a Sydney restaurant to court, claiming they were unfairly labelled 'fraudulent diners'.
  • The family alleged that after complaining about their meal, the restaurant accused them of not paying, leading to them receiving online abuse and death threats.
  • The family had to delete their social media account, which had a following of 76,000, due to the harassment they received.
  • The case will be heard in Federal Court on October 31, 2024, and in response, the restaurant's management said they would 'vigorously defend their position in court'.

What are your thoughts on this case, members? Have you ever experienced a similar situation? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

• Angry
Reactions: BJM
Sponsored
In a world where social media can make or break someone’s reputation, a family of food bloggers is embroiled in a legal battle with a local restaurant over a lobster meal that has taken social media by storm.

The family alleged that they were unfairly labelled as 'fraudulent diners' by the restaurant, leading to a barrage of online abuse and threats.

On Christmas Day 2020, Jennifer Do and her daughters, Belinda and Julie Nguyen, decided to dine at the Silver Pearl, a popular Chinese restaurant in Cabramatta, western Sydney.

The family, known for their food reviews and culinary adventures online, ordered a lobster meal, among other dishes.

However, they claimed that the sashimi seemed off and the lobster didn't look right, suspecting it was frozen and not fresh as advertised.

View attachment 36323
A family believed that the lobster they ordered in the restaurant was not as fresh as advertised. Credit: Toa Heftiba/Unsplash

In a controversial move, the family decided to leave cash on the table to cover the cost of their wine but not the food, asserting that the quality of the meal did not meet their expectations.

In the days following their visit, the restaurant took to social media to accuse the family of faking gastro and not paying for their $364 lobster dinner.

A post featuring a photo of the family was captioned: 'Beware fraudulent diners.'

This public accusation led to a wave of online backlash against the family, who claimed they were inundated by online trolls, forcing them to delete their social media account, which had amassed 76,000 followers.

The impact of the social media storm was not just virtual. The family alleged that the restaurant's post sparked death threats, which continue to this day.

'Whenever I go out now, I feel unsafe because people call me a prostitute and scammer,' Do told the media.

'I’m being harassed online, in public...I’ve been stalked, and I’ve received rape threats,' Belinda shared.

In 2021, the family lodged an appeal in court, seeking justice for the alleged defamation and harassment.

'We want to highlight the truth of the events so we can walk the streets safely without fear of being attacked or followed,' Belinda added.

Silver Pearl management, on the other hand, has vowed to 'vigorously defend their position in court'.

Key Takeaways

• A family of food influencers is taking a Sydney restaurant to court, claiming they were unfairly labelled 'fraudulent diners'.
  • The family alleged that after complaining about their meal, the restaurant accused them of not paying, leading to them receiving online abuse and death threats.
  • The family had to delete their social media account, which had a following of 76,000, due to the harassment they received.
  • The case will be heard in Federal Court on October 31, 2024, and in response, the restaurant's management said they would 'vigorously defend their position in court'.

What are your thoughts on this case, members? Have you ever experienced a similar situation? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sorry it is their fault, you just don't get up leave you tell them what the problem. The way they acted they brought all of this on themselves.
If your not happy say so.. walking out is just plain ignorance and stupidity

They were totally wrong - just getting up and walking out without paying, without discussing their concerns with the owners is plain stupid. Of course they would be labelled scammers. Incidentally, did they eat the food and then complain, or complain immediately it was put in front of them.

View attachment 36323

Key Takeaways

More and more people are eating at a restaurant, complain that the meal was not up to standard and depart without paying. Easy peasy folks! and so disrespectful.

Reactions: Jennie and PattiB

View attachment 36323

Key Takeaways

If you have gastro you don't immediately go to another restaurant and order the same thing. I think this family is just wanting to get more attention and grow their 'followers' although why anyone would follow them is beyond me.
It is difficult enough for restaurants to remain viable given the difficulties they have to overcome because of covid. I believe these women are fraudsters.
Having said that, they should not have to put up with being trolled and threatened. I think they should keep a low profile and stay out of the spotlight to protect themselves.

Reactions: magpie1 and PattiB
There are more people out there doing this than you think. I was in a restaurant on King Island Tasmania when a couple ate all but 1 tablespoonful of their meal. Then complained that it was over cooked, not fresh and disgusting. The owners made them pay for 1 meal but these scammers were expecting to get both meals for free. The very next day they were at the pub eating and tried it again. I also worked in hospitality for many years and the amount of people that try this scam is unbelievable.

Reactions: Jennie
Sorry it is their fault, you just don't get up leave you tell them what the problem. The way they acted they brought all of this on themselves.
If your not happy say so.. walking out is just plain ignorance and stupidity
and is also theft.

Reactions: Jennie
If you have gastro you don't immediately go to another restaurant and order the same thing. I think this family is just wanting to get more attention and grow their 'followers' although why anyone would follow them is beyond me.
It is difficult enough for restaurants to remain viable given the difficulties they have to overcome because of covid. I believe these women are fraudsters.
Having said that, they should not have to put up with being trolled and threatened. I think they should keep a low profile and stay out of the spotlight to protect themselves.
maybe they are operating with a certain agenda....to inform their followers of where not to eat and to promote certain restaurants where they have contacts/owners who support them. Seafood restaurants are very competitive, especially in Sydney town....you best beware who's side that you are on.

My brother in law did the same thing once when the whole family were out to celebrate his mum's birthday
He ordered a seafood platter, which was actually meant for two, ate the lot, and then refused to pay for it, saying it wasn't fresh.
Embarrassment overload,
I had only been with my husband for about 3 months at that time and thought what a wanker his brother was and some 30 years later my opinion hasn't changed.

View attachment 36323

Key Takeaways

Who are these people who use social media in an attempt to bully restaurateurs and other retailers. The new laws on misleading and fake information can't come quickly enough.

View attachment 36323

Key Takeaways

Jennifer made the mistake of not paying for the food without first consulting the restaurant manager or owner. If I thought the sushimi was off, I would not have eaten it, then asked for a container and taken it to the Health Department for analysis, the next day, frozen.

Reactions: Margeaux