Family shares update on celebrity chef's condition after hospitalisation

In a turn of events that reminds us all of the fragility of life, even for our most cherished figures, the beloved Australian culinary icon Maggie Beer has been hospitalised following a distressing fall at her Barossa Valley home.

At 79 years old, Maggie Beer has become a household name, not just for her delectable recipes and warm television presence but also for her passionate advocacy for quality aged care.

The incident, which resulted in multiple fractures and related injuries, was shared with the public through a heartfelt post on Maggie's official social media account, penned by her concerned family.

The post, accompanied by a photo of Maggie smiling bravely, reassured fans that while the injuries were serious, the prognosis was positive.

1724632618103.png
Maggie Beer has been hospitalised following a fall at her Barossa Valley home. Credit: @maggie_beer / Instagram

'Thankfully, Col, her husband, was there, and she is now in the excellent hands of her doctors, who are confident she will make a full recovery,' the family stated.

‘More than anything else, Maggie hates letting people down. But she has multiple events and public engagements coming up that she may have to miss.’

Maggie's absence will surely be felt with a calendar typically packed with events and public engagements.

‘She has asked us to apologise on her behalf to all those affected - and has asked for your patience as she recuperates.’ they added.

‘Thank you for your understanding.’

Maggie Beer's influence extends far beyond the kitchen.

She has garnered numerous accolades as an author, restaurateur, and TV personality.

However, her most impactful work has been her tireless campaign to improve food quality in aged care facilities.

Following the harrowing revelations of the Aged Care Royal Commission, which uncovered widespread neglect and malnutrition, Maggie took the extraordinary step of embedding herself within an aged care residence for four months to revamp the meals provided to residents.

In other news about Maggie, she revealed how creating DIY cooking tutorials helped her cope with the grief of losing her daughter, Saskia, during the COVID-19 pandemic.

She found comfort in her kitchen and used her 'Cooking with Maggie' videos to heal and give back during this challenging time. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • Celebrity chef Maggie Beer has been hospitalised following a fall at her home in the Barossa Valley.
  • The 79-year-old chef suffered several injuries, including multiple fractures.
  • Maggie Beer's family updated her condition via her official Instagram account, saying she is in good hands and expected to recover fully.
  • Ms Beer, a noted aged care advocate and TV personality, has had to cancel upcoming events and engagements due to her injuries. Her family has expressed apologies on her behalf.
What’s your favourite Maggie Beer recipe or product, and how has it influenced your cooking or dining experience? We’d love to hear about them in the comments below.

Get well soon, Maggie!

Sponsored
I don't follow her as such but she is amazing for her age and I did watch her series on trying to change nutrition in aged care since it was here in WA. It was very interesting and I hope sincerely they roll out her recommendations around the country quickly as they will make significant differences to everyone in aged care. It was an amazing program.

I know a couple of people who have worked for her and they say that she is a perfectionist and is a hard act to follow but has over many years, taught so many folk that have been successful in their own right in the food industry. Wishing her well and speedy recovery.

I watched a few shows of "The Cook & The Chef. After watching them, there is no way in the name of Hell would I eat the meals they cooked up. Loaded to the hilt with onions & garlic. Enough to Kill you. I reckon that if they cooked for the German Third Reich, there wouldn't have been the 2nd world war as Maggie & her offsider would have killed the lot of them.

I had to laugh at their compliments to each other on how "Yummy" their efforts were. If I ate it, I wouldn't be here now, enjoying life.

I could have written more flowery adjectives on their cooking attributes which would be unprintable.

Reactions: Littleboy8