Family reports elderly woman missing three months after last sighting

The trails of the Bibbulmun Track, a scenic route stretching over 1,000 kilometres from Kalamunda to Albany, have become the centre of a perplexing mystery involving the disappearance of Nathalie Casal, a 71-year-old Perth doctor.

Known for her love of nature and her dedication to her medical practice, Dr Casal's absence has left both her family and the community in a state of alarm.

In December, Dr Casal told her family she would embark on a routine walk along the Bibbulmun Track, a popular trail among hikers seeking the tranquillity of Western Australia's bushland.

She informed them that she would be with a large group and might not be reachable for some time.

Photo_20240315_082025_0000.png
Dr Casal went on a walk on the Bibbulmun Track last December. Image source: Western Australia Police Force/Facebook

However, the routine walk turned into an unsettling silence as she never returned.

Her family only reported her missing to the authorities last March 7.

The Western Australia Police Force issued a statement on March 14, saying: ‘Police believe she may have started her walk from Mundaring, however, she hasn't been in contact with family since.’

Dr Casal is not only a respected general practitioner based in Joondalup, 26 km north of Perth's central business district (CBD), but also an advocate for animal welfare.

Her passion for the well-being of animals was evident in her submission to the discussions around the Criminal Code Amendment (Animal Protection) Bill 2015.

The police have expressed grave concerns for Dr Casal's welfare, emphasising that her disappearance is out of character and urged anyone with information to come forward.

‘Anyone who has seen Dr Casal, or has any information in relation to her whereabouts, is urged to contact police immediately on 131 444,’ their post read.

Dr Casal was described as approximately 157cm tall with short grey hair and brown eyes.

The community has been asked to cast their minds back to December to recall any sightings or interactions that could provide a clue to her whereabouts.

The Bibbulmun Track, while beautiful, is also remote and challenging in parts, raising fears for Dr Casal's safety. The track's rugged terrain and the length of time since her disappearance present significant hurdles in the search.

According to Trail Hiking Australia, the track is classified as Grade 4 under the Australian Walking Track Grading System, ‘a nationally consistent system to grade the level of difficulty of the track walking experience’.

Screenshot_1.png
The Bibbulmun Track stretches from Perth to Albany in southwestern WA. Image Credit: Trail Hiking Australia / OpenStreet Map & Mapbox

‘Suitable for experienced hikers as navigation and technical skills will be required,’ the group said of Grade 4 trails.

‘Trails will be long, rough and very steep with limited signage or navigation aids. Rock scrambling and river crossings may be required. Hikes generally less than 25km.’

For our members, particularly those who enjoy the great outdoors and the freedom of a solitary walk, this story serves as a stark reminder of the importance of safety and communication.

Always let someone know your plans, stick to them, and check in regularly. If you're planning an extended trip, consider carrying a personal locator beacon or a satellite phone, especially in areas with poor mobile reception.
Key Takeaways
  • Dr Nathalie Casal, an elderly Perth doctor, has been missing since December after going for a walk on the Bibbulmun Track.
  • After not reaching her for some time, her family reported her missing to the police three months later on March 7.
  • The police issued a statement expressing concern for her welfare, describing Dr Casal and urging anyone with information to contact them.
  • Dr Casal is a general practitioner concerned with animal welfare and once contributed to discussions regarding the Criminal Code Amendment (Animal Protection) Bill 2015.
  • The Bibbulmun Track is said to be better suited for experienced hikers.
As the search continues, we extend our thoughts to Dr Casal's family and friends during this difficult time. The SDC hopes for her safe return.

Sponsored
So many unanswered questions here!
3 months is such a long time and what about the rest of the ‘large group’ no information there?

Maybe there was no large group- did she perhaps decide to walk until she couldn’t any more??? Didn’t want her family to send out a search party too soon???
Who knows- terribly tough for her loved ones 💔

I feel there s more to it than we have been told. Ok, if the family thinks she s with a "large group" they wont report her missing straight away, and if she wanted to walk the whole trail taht would explain the long waiting pwriod as well. Plus she ll be out of range a lot of the time... But: wouldnt the family know some members(names of this "large group"? So they could contact them to find out what happened?
Then again: I have a good friend in his late 70ies who always travels and camps on his own. Only recently I asked him to let me know where he s going and when he s planned to come back, and to inform me if there are changes in his plans. Nobody else has asked him ever before, not even his brother! We all live as if nothing can happen to us....

Some people do an "end to end" ie 1000km non stop and it takes about 10 weeks. Maybe this is what the family was working on? Mobile coverage is hit and miss in a few spots, but not a reason to checkin on most days.
Started the walk in December is also odd, most people dont walk the track in summer.

We had a very hot summer with heatwaves for days in Perth this year and for a family not to report her missing earlier than March, is obviously very suspicious! Way too long, long enough to be rid of all the evidence perhaps???

Reactions: Gsr
I was talking to my son-in-law last night about this, he has done the track end to end, and several other small sections. Yes parts of it are dangerous and if you wander off track it's easy to get lost. There are some parts that are very close to towns and you can get a signal. They are checking if she signed in at any of the books along the track (it's not compulsory) no large groups were reported signed in either. Even in the heat of summer there are always walkers on the track and if she was there someone would have seen her sooner or later. We have a sneaking feeling this was a ruse, for some reason she wanted to get away and not let the family know.

I was talking to my son-in-law last night about this, he has done the track end to end, and several other small sections. Yes parts of it are dangerous and if you wander off track it's easy to get lost. There are some parts that are very close to towns and you can get a signal. They are checking if she signed in at any of the books along the track (it's not compulsory) no large groups were reported signed in either. Even in the heat of summer there are always walkers on the track and if she was there someone would have seen her sooner or later. We have a sneaking feeling this was a ruse, for some reason she wanted to get away and not let the family know.
She told the family she was going on that walk. Why didn’t they report her missing after a week at least!!

Was thinking the same thing, just as long as she is safe.🙏

It took the family a long time to become ‘ alarmed ‘ I hope this is being thoroughly investigated. December ,in all the heat is not a time to undertake any sort of hike