Family of 93-year-old receiving end of life care’s heartwarming surprise will melt your heart

Family of 93-year-old receiving end of life care’s heartwarming surprise will melt your heart
A heartwarming story of how this pensioner was surprised with an impromptu jazz concert in his front garden upon receiving end of life care will definitely melt your heart!

The family of pensioner Dick Hockridge wanted to make him feel special upon receiving his end of life care.

bPDnS3Vy1hxtG-Qb2cidDqsJfKK-Q9rrczq0LDSBccufyd1wvrLP30_vDdHQJ3vbhhcUCkq1rX6GGnSf_G8ZLl9nZjKLHUWycI8xRwUThiQoSQG60MD-P5R10RWhl5mmdQLdNWI

93-year-old Dick Hockridg, who is a big fan of big band and jazz music, was surprised by his family with an impromptu concert. Credit: North News & Picture Ltd nort.

The 93-year-old former shipyard worker, who lives in Tyne and Wear in Sunderland, England, is a big fan of big band and jazz music, so his family made an appeal to social media for help to stage a live music performance for him.

The appeal got the attention of BBC Radio Newcastle presenter Kelly Scott who helped organise the impromptu concert.

Just two days after the radio station stepped in to arrange the surprise concert, Dick and his wife of 60 years, Agnes, were serenaded by pianist Mark Deeks and singer Jennifer Hastings from the comfort of their front room.

The duo performed songs the senior couple have danced together over the years, including their all-time favourite Moon River.

The pensioner watched the performers, sitting up at the window and singing along while emotional family members and neighbours looked on.

TcPyLFJCaY8CFWUat9wdwAnvvACUACa4gNfUu14tpMUxTMOiSMF4v3Xk-zi7hGY48qU4E--p96cF-3waG0AYtNhKP8BM3IYuMEZP-nu8g5pq-ObD1255JfvXRpuBFzYgCxnj3QY

Singer Jennifer Hastings and pianist Mark Deeks performed songs Dick and Agnes have danced together over the years, including their all-time favourite Moon River. Credit: North News & Picture Ltd nort.

'It was such a rainbow of emotions. It was like Dick couldn't believe it," Jennifer said.

'This is the kind of thing that means more than anything else. I've got a million Christmas parties and weddings, but to do something like this with such meaning for the family, and to sing for them.'

'I'm getting emotional just thinking about it. I've done some emotional gigs before but this will stay in my memory for the rest of my life.'

At the end of the performances, the pensioner mustered the strength to express his gratitude to the performers and to everyone who made this heartwarming moment possible.

Dick said: 'Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone in the whole wide world. Peace be with you. Thank you.'

Helen Wilson, Dick's granddaughter-in-law and the family member responsible for the appeal, wrote to Twitter last week: 'I've a close relative who is at end of life care, & a huge fan of jazz/big band music. I'd love to arrange a home piano recital-type thing, but sadly my playing isn't currently at a standard to do it justice. Can anyone recommend any NE pianists who would provide this service?'

Helen said that she was not expecting her post to 'blow up like this' after BBC Radio Newcastle contacted her.

'BBC Radio Newcastle really have given them so many beautiful moments to treasure that'll last in their memory for however long he has left. You're all superstars!' she said.

ojUeZ8HWwt2P3X1A5rn6Vg_ijUUlEgAjo-Z12qpeV0hvIlJly417ABg7xffKnpKnaFOO_SxrzPVTlymXIE8T4VTTvJk-ombN_MfQLUdWblxdSlZdr_Uey0Wcvp6ZFFAS4kIDQ5U

xJXTxjOXUj8C_obzXwBje1uJ_hVU8ElGYXwyn4nzFnVl5j9BBltGqAWqzTXMWAq0UpFr78mDGu0u001_sS0QjaZ5FBGhwvTdOljl_ogoGjXx1u2_ehzLahHr-Ynauc1KlFrS5rg

Dick’s granddaughter-in-law, Helen Wilson, started the call on social media. Credit: Twitter/@_helenwilson.

Radio presenter Kelly Scott also revealed that she was overwhelmed with the messages she received from musicians all over the country, noting that a lot of performers flooded her with messages offering to play for the family.

'I can't believe the response to this,' she said.

'We could have filled the garden with performers ten times over with all the offers. Everyone has shown the family so much love.'

'We're all about Making a Difference at BBC Radio Newcastle, and to be able to do this for Dick and his family, and to give them such a beautiful moment feels really special.'

HIu1zHqtqQQetmBWRrLb6CTdpBLFIPJSVtbblvy2QxQNMAMFHu30EaHlBarfMOWIOvQxHabxaEwDE_KkFwnJuhttfOVbTnzkm-DWDNmsxLOq2j23LPqts4MZ9_uVj4CEtuChcII

The senior couple got emotional over the surprise. Credit: North News & Picture Ltd nort.

Christmas is definitely the season of giving! Remember that giving great gifts doesn’t necessarily mean spending a lot of money on material things. Sometimes, sweet gestures like this are priceless and what the true spirit of Christmas is about.

Sponsored