Family accuses care facility of unauthorised chemical restraint: ‘Dad was turning into a zombie’

The sanctity of aged care facilities is one of the pillars of a compassionate society, where the elderly are meant to spend their twilight years in comfort and dignity.

However, a disturbing incident at a Tasmanian government-run aged care facility has cast a shadow over the care being provided to our most vulnerable citizens.

The family of Maurice Long has come forward with harrowing allegations of chemical restraint without consent, raising serious concerns about the practices in aged care institutions and the potential risks faced by residents.

Maurice Long, an 86-year-old man who lived independently for two decades, entered the Beaconsfield District Health Service in Tasmania's north-east, seeking full-time care.

Tragically, within approximately two months of his admission, he passed away.

His son, Leigh Long, is now grappling with the belief that his father's life was 'shortened' due to the substandard care he received, which he alleges included the unauthorised use of antipsychotic medication.

1720400945967.png
Allegations of chemical restraint and rough handling in Tasmanian aged care facilities emerged, with one family questioning the impact on their relative's life span. Credit: Shutterstock

‘had to lose Dad due to maybe a serious blunder or mistake, so we've paid the ultimate price as a family,’ he said.

‘Every day that goes by, I think about my dad. I dream about him every night. I just can't stop reliving the care and the treatment he got.’

‘I miss him so much.’

Leigh witnessed Maurice's ability to walk, talk, and manage his care deteriorate alarmingly fast.

‘There was something wrong with Dad. He was going downhill, Dad was turning into a zombie,’ Leigh said.

‘He could hardly walk, he couldn't talk.’

Leigh, who held enduring guardianship and was responsible for making medical decisions on his father's behalf, claimed that the facility administered risperidone, an antipsychotic medication, without his consent.

‘We were up there visiting Dad, and it was quarter to five, and the nurse said, “We've got to give your dad his five o'clock tablet before he goes to tea.”’ he said.

‘And I said, “he doesn't have a five o'clock tablet”, and she said, “Oh no, he has a five o'clock tablet. I'll check on it.”’

‘She came back and said, 'We're sedating him.’

Leigh mentioned that he had discovered the tablets were first administered to his dad after one of his initial nights at the facility when the buzzer in his room had been pressed multiple times.

He was unsure if his dad had been pressing the buzzer button, getting out of bed, and standing on a mat next to it, which would activate the buzzer.

‘They started sedating Dad with medication due to his undiagnosed dementia for pushing a buzzer 19 times in an hour,’ Leigh explained.

He said he had attempted to halt the medication being given to his father by reaching out to a local GP, Maurice's cardiologist, and even contacting a solicitor.

The ABC obtained a letter from the cardiologist requesting that the medication be discontinued.

‘Mr Maurice Long has been a patient of mine of over ten years,’ it said.

‘This 86-year-old gentleman's family are concerned about the use of risperidone for him and the side effects on his health. Therefore, I would request that the risperidone be ceased.’

The cardiologist subsequently advised Maurice to consult a doctor at another health facility for a conclusive diagnosis and treatment plan.

Leigh stated that the facility disregarded his requests and neglected the cardiologist's directive to stop the medication.

‘It was a battle, and I was never able to stop it,’ he said.

‘It was shocking, it was to the point where Dad was gone well before he died because this medication changed him so much.’

The family also discovered bruising on Maurice's body, including around his neck and arms.

Leigh sought answers regarding his father's care at the Beaconsfield facility and the standards maintained there.

He questioned why the facility had begun sedating his father without consent.

The family lodged complaints with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency, the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission, and Tasmania's Health Department.

Although Leigh Long had not yet received an official response from the Department of Health, he had been exchanging emails with departmental staff, some of whom had apologised.

‘I'm so sorry for the loss of your father and for the awful experience he and your family experienced at the Beaconsfield Hospital.’ one of the staff said.

‘I’m very sorry that this has occurred and for the way that your concerns were managed by the service.’ another said.

1720401065604.png
The family of Maurice Long raised concerns about medication and bruising. Credit: Shutterstock

Tasmania's Health Department informed the ABC that it thoughtfully considers all concerns and complaints about the care provided in its health system and is actively reviewing the matter.

‘Communication is continuing between the department and family members about the complaint.’ they stated.

‘We empathise with anyone whose experience in our health system falls short of the standards we expect, but it is not appropriate for us to comment further on individual circumstances for reasons of privacy and confidentiality.’

During the last fiscal year, the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission received 150 complaints regarding residential care in Tasmania.

Robbie Moore from the Health and Community Services Union highlighted significant issues in the aged care sector, particularly understaffing, which hinders timely care delivery to residents.

Moore emphasised delays in essential activities like using the restroom and getting out of bed, describing these challenges as unacceptable for older people in nursing homes.

‘[Residents] are delayed in going to the toilet. They're delayed in when they get out of bed,’ he said.

‘We keep hearing awful stories that no one else in the community would accept, so why do we accept it for older people just because they're in a nursing home?’

‘We need to see the staffing levels so that people can have a decent life.’

Since the beginning of the year, the national aged care regulator has identified six non-compliant facilities in Tasmania.

Among these, Lyell House at the West Coast District Hospital, operated by the state government, failed to meet six out of eight standards.

Issues highlighted by the regulator include concerns with chemical restraint, where medication was administered to a resident for over five weeks without consent.

Significant staffing challenges were also noted, with a heavy reliance on overtime and agency staff.

Mr. Moore emphasised the importance of holding senior government officials accountable for these issues.

‘There's no way that it is acceptable that in public-run institutions in Tasmania, we shouldn't be meeting the national guidelines. That's a very reasonable expectation from Tasmanians.’ he said.

1720401262856.png
Tasmania's health department actively reviewed complaints and maintained ongoing communication with the family. Credit: Shutterstock

Brigid Wilkinson, Chief Executive of the Council on the Aging Tasmania, emphasised that these allegations within aged care point to larger systemic issues within the sector.

‘We trust that when we need to make that decision for an older family member to receive the care that they need in a care facility, that they're going to get that care and that they're going to be treated with respect,’ she explained.

‘So, any allegations that people were treated inappropriately, or an instance of neglect or abuse, we would be very concerned about.’

‘It actually really disgusts me because I think that every human being is worthy of being treated with dignity and respect, irrespective of their age.’

Displeased with the care at Beaconsfield, Leigh relocated his father to another aged care facility.

According to Leigh, Maurice was unable to walk, talk, or attend to his own toileting needs at that time.

‘I had a duty of care to Dad to remove him from that facility, from that danger, because all my life he looked after me. I had to do something in return.’ he said.

‘I was hoping things would come back to, “Hey, Dad's good now, we've fixed it.”’

‘Sadly, he died. The damage was done.’

‘With the facility up there … and the medication, the damage was already in place.’

In response to the growing concerns, Tasmania's Department of Health has initiated a voluntary statewide audit of its facilities that offer residential aged care services.

‘These audits include consideration of a range of matters, including the use of restrictive practice,’ a spokesperson stated.

‘In relation to staffing, all of the Department's district hospitals — including the six facilities that provide residential aged care services — have a safe staffing model which identifies the appropriate safe staffing level for each of the facilities.’

‘A number of strategies are used to support this model, including recruitment, increases to working hours where appropriate, and redeployment from other services or sites as required.’

‘This whole-of-system collaboration is very common across the health system to ensure the needs of Tasmanians are met.’
Key Takeaways

• Allegations have surfaced of chemical restraint without consent and rough handling in Tasmanian aged care facilities, with one family believing their relative's life was shortened by the care received.
  • The family of Maurice Long, who died shortly after entering a government-run aged care facility, raised concerns about the administration of antipsychotic medication without consent and found bruising on his body.
  • Tasmania's health department is actively reviewing the complaints, with ongoing communication with the family, and has stated that it takes the care provided across the health system very seriously.
  • Tasmania's Department of Health undertook a voluntary statewide audit of facilities offering residential aged care services, in addition to regular audits by the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission.
Have you or your loved ones encountered issues with care or the use of chemical restraints? How can we improve the aged care system to prevent such incidents? Feel free to share your insights in the comments below.

Sponsored
We had huge problems in a Victorian Hospital
Dementia patients were tied into bed at night And my dad never was taken for a walk or anything. Thus ended up with a stroke and into palliative care.

• Sad
Reactions: Liz and DLHM
You wonder why when people say to me put your mum in a aged care home (she was 100 last october) and I say no. She needs someone with her 24/7 and her mind is now going. My conscience would not allow this to happen.

• Love
Reactions: DLHM
What choice do we aging people have, when you can’t look after yourselves anymore and your own family can’t or don’t want to look after you?? It is not easy looking after other people and those who do it are doing it just for the money. Those who does the job with compassion are few and far between.

• Sad
Reactions: DLHM
On a visit to my 100 year old friend in a Nursing Home (staffed mainly by non-Australians & possibly poorly trained), an orderly came in to change his sheets. Removing my friend from his saturated bed he placed him on a chair & proceeded to remake the bed. As he pulled the sheet & blanket up l said, "that sheet is wet". Pulling those items back he said, "where?, while placing his hand, without hesitation, straight on top of the wet area. "Oh yes", he said, trying to appear surprised. The sheet was changed but that wouldn't have happened had l not been there.

I wrote to Administration about this but received no reply. I wondered at the time how many other patients there experienced the same sordid treatment at the hands of staff.

• Angry
Reactions: DLHM and IAN3005
Not uncommon unfortunatley, my aunt was left in the same state in an expensive nursing home here in Brisbane. I am terrified for the future but don't believe in VAD sadly.
Why not??? when you got to go you got to go... you know nothing about it. Peace at long last.... Unfortunately, there are too many conditions attached to VAD otherwise I would have used it long ago.

On a visit to my 100 year old friend in a Nursing Home (staffed mainly by non-Australians & possibly poorly trained), an orderly came in to change his sheets. Removing my friend from his saturated bed he placed him on a chair & proceeded to remake the bed. As he pulled the sheet & blanket up l said, "that sheet is wet". Pulling those items back he said, "where?, while placing his hand, without hesitation, straight on top of the wet area. "Oh yes", he said, trying to appear surprised. The sheet was changed but that wouldn't have happened had l not been there.

I wrote to Administration about this but received no reply. I wondered at the time how many other patients there experienced the same sordid treatment at the hands of staff.
Why do you think I visited my mother 3 times a day for 5 years..... to make sure we were getting what we paid for and she got the correct care?
I was all over them like a rash..... there wasn't a nook or cranny that I missed...
Agree with you about the training of non-Australians....

Reactions: DLHM and Ezzy
The family could have removed him,
We don't know the circumstances that led to the man being placed in full time aged care. It may have been his idea. His family may not have been able to care for him full time. Aged Care Facilities often have waiting lists. If they suspected Dementia he should have been tested. I knew one elderly lady who asked to go into Aged Care after her sister passed away. They had no immediately family and she didn't want to be a burden on other relatives. She initially went into Semi Independent Care, until she had a bad fall and suddenly lost some of her memory. Prior to that she already had a heart condition. That place had an arrangement with an Aged Care facility will high care so they transferred her to that one (which would not have been any of her nieces' choices). Until a few weeks after she went there she was able to take herself to the toilet, but they never took her soon enough. She told my Mum and my Aunty she was sorry about her pants (she didn't call them knickers) but she couldn't "hang on" for all that time. The smell of the place "knocked you over" as soon as you opened the front door. As soon as a new one opened nearby my Mum & Aunty had her transferred. Unfortunately she died a few weeks later. She missed the other residents she had been with for awhile.

Reactions: Ezzy
We don't know the circumstances that led to the man being placed in full time aged care. It may have been his idea. His family may not have been able to care for him full time. Aged Care Facilities often have waiting lists. If they suspected Dementia he should have been tested. I knew one elderly lady who asked to go into Aged Care after her sister passed away. They had no immediately family and she didn't want to be a burden on other relatives. She initially went into Semi ndependent Care, until she had a bad fall and suddenly lost some of her memory. Prior to that she already had a heart condition. That place had an arrangement with an Aged Care facility will high care so they transferred her to that one (which would not have been any of her nieces' choices). Until a few weeks after she went there she was able to take herself to the toilet, but they never took her soon enough. She told my Mum and my Aunty she was sorry about her pants (she didn't call them knickers) but she couldn't "hang on" for all that time. The smell of the place "knocked you over" as soon as you opened the front door. As soon as a new one opened nearby my Mum & Aunty had her transferred. Unfortunately she died a few weeks later. She missed the other residents she had been with for awhile.
when I was nursing the crap that goes on now would NEVER have been tolerated but the big mouthed, do gooders used to scream QUANTITY OF LIFE over QUALITY. I nursed people who'd had dementia for over 20 years. What the hell did it prove. We had an angelic doctor who sometimes was an real angel and we loved him as did the families.. There was commonsense in those days. I looked into assisted dying and was told that after 4 different cancers, kidney disease from 8, bones falling to bits, legs useless and little balance I was told I wasn't bad enough for consideration. I now have 3 packets of sleeping pills and will use them when the time comes and this is well known to those I care about including the doctor. I'll die in my own bed.

• Sad
Reactions: Ezzy and DLHM
We don't know the circumstances that led to the man being placed in full time aged care. It may have been his idea. His family may not have been able to care for him full time. Aged Care Facilities often have waiting lists. If they suspected Dementia he should have been tested. I knew one elderly lady who asked to go into Aged Care after her sister passed away. They had no immediately family and she didn't want to be a burden on other relatives. She initially went into Semi Independent Care, until she had a bad fall and suddenly lost some of her memory. Prior to that she already had a heart condition. That place had an arrangement with an Aged Care facility will high care so they transferred her to that one (which would not have been any of her nieces' choices). Until a few weeks after she went there she was able to take herself to the toilet, but they never took her soon enough. She told my Mum and my Aunty she was sorry about her pants (she didn't call them knickers) but she couldn't "hang on" for all that time. The smell of the place "knocked you over" as soon as you opened the front door. As soon as a new one opened nearby my Mum & Aunty had her transferred. Unfortunately she died a few weeks later. She missed the other residents she had been with for awhile.
I worked in aged care for 36 + years, I have seen the good and the bad. More good than bad I am happy to say. The amount of Government funding is what is determining the ratio of staff. What the resident pays covers many things after nursing care, laundry, activities, cleaning and meals. Usually, a fee of 85% of pension is charged. The cost of living we all complain about is also affecting the cost of caring. More staff are required to attend to residents. Usually, 2 to 8 ratio from memory. Many residents are 2 assist so staff cannot assist if teammate is already attending another resident. It's about time the government and other managers speak to staff on the floor. Often in these facilities management is top heavy which uses precious funds.

Reactions: Gsr, Ezzy and DLHM
when I was nursing the crap that goes on now would NEVER have been tolerated but the big mouthed, do gooders used to scream QUANTITY OF LIFE over QUALITY. I nursed people who'd had dementia for over 20 years. What the hell did it prove. We had an angelic doctor who sometimes was an real angel and we loved him as did the families.. There was commonsense in those days. I looked into assisted dying and was told that after 4 different cancers, kidney disease from 8, bones falling to bits, legs useless and little balance I was told I wasn't bad enough for consideration. I now have 3 packets of sleeping pills and will use them when the time comes and this is well known to those I care about including the doctor. I'll die in my own bed.
I had a lovely friend who stayed in a Granny flat with her daughter & son-in-law who enjoyed dancing with her hubby in her hay days. As she aged she still had her beautiful sense of humour but she was racked with
pain & couldn't do as she used to & made it known that she was stockpiling her medications for the inevitable. She chose her time & took her life with the full knowledge of family.

Sad that people need to take such action because there is no other choice for them. Times have changed & though it goes against my thinking l believe in certain circumstances people need to legally have a choice about whether to continue their life or not. This is after all 2024 not 1844.

• Sad
Reactions: DLHM and Gsr
So sad that all the above mistreatments of elderly people in care facilities are rife in all facilities. I used to see it all the time when I worked in aged care. When my mother in law was in a nursing home and got to the stage where she couldn’t feed herself I went everyday and fed her for lunch or tea. It was the only way I knew she would get enough to eat. Her meals were plonked in front of her and uncovered and she would be told staff would return to feed her. She had dementia and didn’t understand so would attempt to feed herself. By the time she got the spoon to her mouth she had turned it upside down and spilt the food all over herself. I witnessed this several times before I realised why she always appeared to be hungry. When I asked staff why they put the tray in front of the people before they were there to feed them I was told all the food trays had to be delivered before any feeds could be done. As I had previously worked at the facility I knew that was not right, trays were only supposed to be taken to people who needed to be fed when you were going to stay and feed them so they didn’t try to feed themselves and spill all their food. Besides spilling the food the risk of burns from hot soups, meals, drinks also needed to be managed. We also had a dear friend who was in another facility before she died and she was often heavily medicated. Sometimes when we would visit she was like a zombie and couldn’t be roused. We tried to get the medication stopped to no avail, but we were only friends and there was no family who cared enough to become involved. All her close family had already passed away, her closest relatives were third cousins who hadn’t bothered with her for many years so didn’t really care. Hopefully hubby and I never need nursing home care.