Fake fashion retailer preys on unsuspecting shopper via Google search: ‘I wasn't aware’

Technology often serves to make our lives easier, but it's also a double-edged sword.

Many of us here can no doubt testify to this statement. We've all had moments of confusion due to those ever-changing gadgets, software updates, and other complications that come with living in the digital age.

That being said, for the most part, we are grateful for the way modern technology has changed things for the better. Take online shopping, for example. Not only is it incredibly convenient and time-saving, but nowadays, it's also safe.

Well, mostly...

Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 3.06.32 PM.png
An Aussie was duped into shopping from a fake website that copied a popular fashion retailer. Credit: Pexels/Sarah Blocksidge.

Camille Warfield, an unsuspecting shopper from Queensland, recently found this out the hard way when she experienced what she now calls the 'weirdest scam'.

The story began when she was looking at puffer jackets in-store at DECJUBA, an Australian fashion retailer. However, her size was unfortunately sold out, so Warfield thought to herself: 'That's fine; I'll just go online and buy it.'

She took out her iPhone and opened the Safari app to search for the clothing website. As she started typing the website's name into Google, the link to the store's website conveniently auto-completed, leading her to believe it was the correct one.

Trusting the autocomplete suggestion, she thought it was safe to press enter. As it turns out, it wasn't.

Little did Warfield know that she had stumbled upon a fake online store, despite being an experienced online shopper herself. This deceptive website had a cleverly camouflaged URL, making it appear legitimate.

Thinking she was making a genuine purchase, Warfield excitedly decided to treat herself to a puffer jacket and matching tracksuit combo, priced at $120.

However, as she proceeded with the transaction, red flags began to surface, indicating that something was amiss.

Warfield said, 'As soon as I paid, I knew it was a scam. I got a confirmation email, which was dodgy as f***. If you looked at the email it was sent from, it was a Gmail account, and everything in the email was just dodgy.'

But it didn't stop there.

Several weeks after her online purchase, Warfield received a notification from Australia Post, which confirmed that a parcel was on its way to her home address. At first, this made her suspicious. 'Was this just another text scam?' she thought.

Much to Warfield's delight (and surprise), the tracking number on the parcel matched that in her Australia Post app and with that, she was sure that something was, in fact, on its way.

But what could it possibly be? 'I thought something was coming, but I don't know what it would be. Maybe it's just a rip-off puffer jacket... I don't know,' she said.

When the parcel finally arrived, Warfield was astonished to find that it was much smaller than she had anticipated.

'Keep in mind I (thought I had) bought a big black puffer jacket, nearly floor length, and a matching tracksuit, so I'm expecting this parcel to be really big,' she said. 'But is this a joke?'

The answer to her question quickly revealed itself when Warfield opened the box to find a bizarre jewellery box with a ring inside.

'If you are a scam website, wouldn't you just take my money? Why would you send me a f***ing ring? That is hilarious. I don't wear silver. Sorry. The funny thing is it actually fits me perfectly. Stop. So this is the weirdest scam I've ever been a part of,' Warfield laughed.

1690249997885.png

To avoid making the same mistake as Warfield, always remain vigilant for signs of potential fraud. There are several indicators you should look out for:

1. Be cautious with 'sponsored' search engine results: Sometimes, these websites can appear in search engine results, giving them an appearance of legitimacy. However, just because they look genuine doesn't necessarily mean they are. Exercise extra caution when dealing with such websites.

2. Watch out for suspicious payment methods: If a webpage offers only one payment method or asks for payments in gift cards or Bitcoin, it could be a red flag. Legitimate businesses usually provide multiple secure payment options, and asking for unusual payment methods may indicate fraudulent intent.

3. Beware of fake reviews: Some scammers use fake reviews to promote their products or services. If you notice an overwhelming number of positive reviews or overly enthusiastic endorsements without any critical opinions, it's a sign that the reviews might be fabricated.

4. Research before sharing personal information: Before giving away any of your personal information, take the time to research the organisation or person you are dealing with. Utilise secure and authenticated methods to reach the organisation, such as using their official app or portal, rather than relying solely on search engine results.

Key Takeaways

• Camille from Queensland was duped into shopping from a fake website that mirrored Australian fashion retailer DECJUBA.
  • After making the purchase, she realised she was scammed when she received a dodgy confirmation email but got further confused when she received a parcel with a tracking number.
  • Instead of the puffer jacket and tracksuit she had ordered, Warfield found a cheap-looking ring inside the package.
  • In a statement, DECJUBA confirmed the existence of scam websites posing as their own, and Scamwatch urged Australians to be cautious with fake retail websites mimicking well-known brands.

By staying cautious and following these steps, you can reduce the risk of falling victim to fraud and protect yourself from potential scams. Of course, if you do experience any suspected fraudulent behaviour, you should report it immediately. Best of luck with online shopping, members!

Have you experienced anything similar in the past? How did you deal with it? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I also received a Kay ring from China when I ordered Frankie shoes. I sent an email to the address listed and was offered 5% compensation which I declined then it went to 10% and again I declined. The next email said they were out of stock and couldn’t resend the shoes and offered 15% compensation. At this point, I knew my money was gone and gave up. After googling the email address, I found that the same person also scams you with Mimco bags. Seems like he’s targeting Australian brand goods with fake websites. As mentioned in the article, there was only one method of payment, Mastercard, which I did not realize was a red flag.

Technology often serves to make our lives easier, but it's also a double-edged sword.

Many of us here can no doubt testify to this statement. We've all had moments of confusion due to those ever-changing gadgets, software updates, and other complications that come with living in the digital age.

That being said, for the most part, we are grateful for the way modern technology has changed things for the better. Take online shopping, for example. Not only is it incredibly convenient and time-saving, but nowadays, it's also safe.

Well, mostly...

View attachment 25795
An Aussie was duped into shopping from a fake website that copied a popular fashion retailer. Credit: Pexels/Sarah Blocksidge.

Camille Warfield, an unsuspecting shopper from Queensland, recently found this out the hard way when she experienced what she now calls the 'weirdest scam'.

The story began when she was looking at puffer jackets in-store at DECJUBA, an Australian fashion retailer. However, her size was unfortunately sold out, so Warfield thought to herself: 'That's fine; I'll just go online and buy it.'

She took out her iPhone and opened the Safari app to search for the clothing website. As she started typing the website's name into Google, the link to the store's website conveniently auto-completed, leading her to believe it was the correct one.

Trusting the autocomplete suggestion, she thought it was safe to press enter. As it turns out, it wasn't.

Little did Warfield know that she had stumbled upon a fake online store, despite being an experienced online shopper herself. This deceptive website had a cleverly camouflaged URL, making it appear legitimate.

Thinking she was making a genuine purchase, Warfield excitedly decided to treat herself to a puffer jacket and matching tracksuit combo, priced at $120.

However, as she proceeded with the transaction, red flags began to surface, indicating that something was amiss.

Warfield said, 'As soon as I paid, I knew it was a scam. I got a confirmation email, which was dodgy as f***. If you looked at the email it was sent from, it was a Gmail account, and everything in the email was just dodgy.'

Several weeks after her online purchase, Warfield received a notification from Australia Post, which confirmed that a parcel was on its way to her home address. At first, this made her suspicious. 'Was this just another text scam?' she thought.

Much to Warfield's delight (and surprise), the tracking number on the parcel matched that in her Australia Post app and with that, she was sure that something was, in fact, on its way.

But what could it possibly be? 'I thought something was coming, but I don't know what it would be. Maybe it's just a rip-off puffer jacket... I don't know,' she said.

When the parcel finally arrived, Warfield was astonished to find that it was much smaller than she had anticipated.

'Keep in mind I (thought I had) bought a big black puffer jacket, nearly floor length, and a matching tracksuit, so I'm expecting this parcel to be really big,' she said. 'But is this a joke?'

The answer to her question quickly revealed itself when Warfield opened the box to find a bizarre jewellery box with a ring inside.

'If you are a scam website, wouldn't you just take my money? Why would you send me a f***ing ring? That is hilarious. I don't wear silver. Sorry. The funny thing is it actually fits me perfectly. Stop. So this is the weirdest scam I've ever been a part of,' Warfield laughed.

To avoid making the same mistake as Warfield, always remain vigilant for signs of potential fraud. There are several indicators you should look out for:

1. Be cautious with 'sponsored' search engine results: Sometimes, these websites can appear in search engine results, giving them an appearance of legitimacy. However, just because they look genuine doesn't necessarily mean they are. Exercise extra caution when dealing with such websites.

2. Watch out for suspicious payment methods: If a webpage offers only one payment method or asks for payments in gift cards or Bitcoin, it could be a red flag. Legitimate businesses usually provide multiple secure payment options, and asking for unusual payment methods may indicate fraudulent intent.

3. Beware of fake reviews: Some scammers use fake reviews to promote their products or services. If you notice an overwhelming number of positive reviews or overly enthusiastic endorsements without any critical opinions, it's a sign that the reviews might be fabricated.

4. Research before sharing personal information: Before giving away any of your personal information, take the time to research the organisation or person you are dealing with. Utilise secure and authenticated methods to reach the organisation, such as using their official app or portal, rather than relying solely on search engine results.

Key Takeaways

• Camille from Queensland was duped into shopping from a fake website that mirrored Australian fashion retailer DECJUBA.
  • After making the purchase, she realised she was scammed when she received a dodgy confirmation email but got further confused when she received a parcel with a tracking number.
  • Instead of the puffer jacket and tracksuit she had ordered, Warfield found a cheap-looking ring inside the package.
  • In a statement, DECJUBA confirmed the existence of scam websites posing as their own, and Scamwatch urged Australians to be cautious with fake retail websites mimicking well-known brands.

By staying cautious and following these steps, you can reduce the risk of falling victim to fraud and protect yourself from potential scams. Of course, if you do experience any suspected fraudulent behaviour, you should report it immediately. Best of luck with online shopping, members!

Have you experienced anything similar in the past? How did you deal with it? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

I lost everything to a fake website. It was a mirrored bank sue and I messaged them and received a reply. Did all the right things like ASIC check etc.
Everything on the site was the same as I checked everything. When I emailed them it went to the fake not what I thought was the bank. No pressure, good customer service etc. What could go wrong. Everything.

There is a reason why these scammers send you an item of cheap junk. I bought an electric scooter from FB Marketplace and received a small leather credit card wallet in a package weighing 32 grams according to Auspost instead. The package had a tracking number lodged with Auspost so they confirmed delivery. When I tried to get my credit card company to refund the money they contacted the seller who claimed my purchase had been delivered and used Ausposts tracking info as proof. I objected and stated I had bought an electric scooter from them which clearly would have weighed more than Ausposts stated 32 grams. This went back and forth a bit with the end result I failed to get a refund via my credit card because the delivery had been confirmed and Auspost wasn't interested in supporting me in my claim.
So that tracked delivery will make it very difficult or maybe impossible to win a dispute over the payment to the scammers.

Well, mostly...

View attachment 25795

Key Takeaways

It makes you angry hey, but what can ya do…………. really? You can’t send it back cause they recommend you don’t do that you send them an email first, but by the time they answer you your 30 return policy is up………….. YOU LOSE 😔

I purchased online some items from Bed Bath and Beyond. I never received an email confirming my purchase. The Visa transaction on my Bank account revealed that the money had been taken by a company called Cliosag - not Bed Bath and Beyond. My attempts to contact this company by email or phone all met with blanks and I reported the transaction to my Bank as a scam, who are following up on the transaction
Hope Springs Eternal!!!!!!

Reactions: Zoya

Well, mostly...

View attachment 25795

Key Takeaways

Yes. There was an ad some years ago for a small folding mobility scooter. Very cheap. Walmart, saying it was a promotion. (so therefore probably coming from China). I ordered it. Some weeks later I received a scarf. Not even a nice one.
My point in bringing this up now, it to warn others that that SAME AD is back on fb again.

I lost everything to a fake website. It was a mirrored bank sue and I messaged them and received a reply. Did all the right things like ASIC check etc.
Everything on the site was the same as I checked everything. When I emailed them it went to the fake not what I thought was the bank. No pressure, good customer service etc. What could go wrong. Everything.
Sorry to hear your story but really..... good customer service from a bank should have been the biggest red flag! 😂 :oops:

I have had this same scam, delivered some rubbishy thing instead of what I bought. Luckily I had paid by Paypal and they honoured my info and refunded my money, but it dragged on for months till settled..

You would think that search engines like Google would have the technology to work out which websites are bogus and stop their engine from finding them, and putting them up on display.

Reactions: Jargan
I know it is easy to get sucked in. Have been caught myself 3 times.
I never do anything without a few checks first now.
1.do a Google check of the name of the site.
2.Scam alert sites will tell their status.
3.telltale phrases in their About us section, such as We appreciate your uniqueness....Everday should give a happy surprise.
4.The same items coming up on different strange named websites, very bogus.

Hope it helps, we are all lkiely to be caught out in a weak moment, be kind to yourself.

Reactions: Observer