Fair play or age discrimination? ‘Baby boomers’ are allegedly being unfairly excluded from Koala Mattress' year of free rent competition

In a controversial twist of events for Australian competition culture, Koala Mattress's latest offer has left many in the baby boomer generation peeved, to say the least.

The mattress company has recently rolled out a website, BoomerBlocker.com, that is basically designed to filter out baby boomers from taking part in an exciting new competition.

It’s an undeniable fact that the cost of living in Australia has escalated at an alarming pace. Budgeting for rent or mortgage repayments can often feel like playing a high-stakes game with no certainty of winning.

That's why Koala Mattress company's recent competition promising struggling Australians a year's break from rent or mortgage payments sounded like a godsend.

Well, at least for those born after 1965.

koala1.jpg
Koala Mattress is offering an ‘intriguing’ promotion to ‘struggling’ Australians born after 1965. Credit: Koala Mattress

The competition, named 'Boomer Blocker', is allegedly discriminating against older Australians.

While visitors to the site won’t be asked for their date of birth, the company themselves said they designed the questions so it would deliberately disadvantage the baby boomer generation.

‘In a bid to stop the golden generation from claiming any more good deals, Koala is rolling out a first-of-its-kind "Boomer Blocker", a generationally biased questionnaire in which Aussies will need to answer as part of their application,’ it said.

The website continued: ‘[This] has been purposefully designed to try and filter out boomers and ensure the offer is available to everyone from generations X, Y and Z.’

koala2.jpg
The Boomer Blocker is essentially designed to keep the baby boomer generation and instead extend these benefits to the younger generation. Credit: Burst/Pexels

In one question, the user will be asked to explain the meaning of the term ‘Brangelina’, which is a reference to Hollywood stars Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie’s combined names.

Another question asked what pressing Control C and Control V in succession does on a keyboard. This is a command prompt to make it easier to copy and paste words or images.

Defending their stance, Rory Costello, Koala's Chief Commercial Officer, said that baby boomers had comparatively easier access to homeownership than the younger generations, and this competition aimed to ‘level the field’.

koala3.jpg
Another question asked what ‘boujee’ means. This is another term that describes someone living in luxury and is derived from the word ‘bourgeois’. Credit: Koala

‘We wanted to give Millennials, Gen Z’ers (referring to the generation born between the late 1990s to early 2010s), and everyone in-between the opportunity to have their rent or mortgage paid for an entire year, so they can use their cash for other luxuries that boomers enjoy daily,’ he added.

While some view this as a marketing gimmick, this move has understandably sparked conversations around age discrimination.

Just last month, Australia's outgoing age discrimination commissioner, Kay Patterson, called out ageist jokes.

‘Ageism is the least understood "ism",’ she said on a radio show.

‘We understand about sexism, we understand about racism. But most of us in our bones have some ageist views and joke about it sometimes, and jokes that would not be accepted in other areas,’ she continued.

‘“You look good for your age”. You know, we don't say to people, “You look good for being a woman” or “You look good for being an Indian or something”. We just have these strange attitudes to older people.’

Touching upon the generational financial disparity, it's crucial to reflect upon the fact that baby boomers, despite battling 18 per cent interest rates during the late 1980s, didn't face the debilitating debt-to-income ratios as the younger borrowers of today.

In 1989, Sydney’s median house price was $170,850, five times the average full-time salary of $26,874 after a 20 per cent mortgage deposit.

Compared to now, the median house price of $1.324 million is 11 times the average salary of $94,000 with the same 20 per cent mortgage deposit.

This is well above the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority's 'six' threshold for mortgage stress.

Reports show that single average-income earners now in their thirties or forties can't buy a typical Sydney house on their own. Melbourne, with a median house price of $918,971, is also out of reach, as is Brisbane, with a mid-point price of $806,781—unless a single borrower moved to a far, outer suburb.
Key Takeaways

• Koala mattress company has launched a competition to cover the rent or mortgage costs of Australians for a year but has intentionally designed it to disadvantage baby boomers.
  • Former age discrimination commissioner Kay Patterson has criticised the move, reminding the public of the ongoing issue of ageism.
  • Rory Costello, Koala's chief commercial officer, defended the competition, stating that it is intended to give younger generations a financial break similar to what baby boomers were able to enjoy.
  • The competition rules and focal points have sparked a debate on the different economic circumstances faced by various generations in Australia.
Koala’s Boomer Blocker website is operating from July 31 to August 27.

But whether the marketing stunt is a sign of ageism or merely recognising a ‘generational divide in income inequality’ in Australia—that’s for you to decide. Let us know in the comments what you think!

Sponsored
I think the powers that be are a little lacking in the brains department.This decision has cost them a lot of business,is probably illegal and what makes them think that we don't know what Brangelina is, I do and I'm 76.
Also there are a lot of us with computers and we can just Google the answers.
Pack of moronic half wits.
Well said

Reactions: Gaena
I object (sometimesViolently!!) To the supposition often made by younger generations that ALL Baby Boomers own their own homes or even have multiples of them. Everyone is different and opportunities given or earned in life are not always equal. Even the government is guilty of this thinking by supposing that all seniors will have paid off any mortgage they may have had, will apply for a pension at the determined age and when it comes to aged care, as they inevitably they will need in some form they have children to assist with that care. Damn it we are all different and not all of us fit into a pidgeon hole. I will step down from my soapbox now!!
You speak for many of us, thanks 😊

• Love
Reactions: TheBear and Gaena
Wow, a storm in a teacup!

There is an entire generation of young people that are strugling to purchase a home of their own - they're OUR kids and grandkids!

In comparison, our generation has had more than 40 years of employment to achieve this goal land most of us have taken the opportunity to do so when it arose.

I don't see anything wrong with the mattress company to have some fun with their boomer blocker.

XYZ?
With all of the internet focused on horror, terror, doom scenarios. How come nobody has paid attention to ...

THAT"S IT! NO MORE GENERATIONS come after Z.

It's weird that B.C came before AD and then we skipped all of the alphabetical links assigned to generations and just called them the Middle Ages, and now here we all are at the end of the Alpha-bet.

Will the boffins start a Bravo-bet, then a Charlie-bet etc. Or will we have Beta-bet then a Theta-bet? Time will tell I guess :)

P.S for all that may feel to express a concern about anything in my post it is a joke okay.

Humor, meemore, theymore, themmore, usmore and even thosemore your us and mine are all in this life together, so its hilarity only okay and that's it.

Cheers, Johnny

Wow, a storm in a teacup!

There is an entire generation of young people that are strugling to purchase a home of their own - they're OUR kids and grandkids!

In comparison, our generation has had more than 40 years of employment to achieve this goal land most of us have taken the opportunity to do so when it arose.

I don't see anything wrong with the mattress company to have some fun with their boomer blocker.
Our kids as you say, but the problem is we have spoilt these kids.
They have a different work/pleasure ethic and want to start off where we are finishing.
We didn't go out looking for 4x2 homes with all the bells and whistles, jetted off on overseas holidays, spent $30,000 - $60,000 on a wedding (an amount that would go a long way towards a home deposit).
When I was in young I did early morning track work at a nearby racecourse, went home had a quick shower etc., got on a tram and went into Melbourne where I worked as a secretary. Three nights a week I and 2 of my friends worked as gogo girls (yes, really) and on weekends I worked at the riding school where I had my horse agisted. How many young people these days would do this
To get a house deposit together my ex and I worked picking tomatoes for 3 months, back breaking work and we were the only ones who stuck it out, some leaving after a few days, some even a few hours.
There was always plenty if work for those who wanted it, but there will always be those who make no effort and then whinge about what a raw deal life has handed them

In a controversial twist of events for Australian competition culture, Koala Mattress's latest offer has left many in the baby boomer generation peeved, to say the least.

The mattress company has recently rolled out a website, BoomerBlocker.com, that is basically designed to filter out baby boomers from taking part in an exciting new competition.

It’s an undeniable fact that the cost of living in Australia has escalated at an alarming pace. Budgeting for rent or mortgage repayments can often feel like playing a high-stakes game with no certainty of winning.

That's why Koala Mattress company's recent competition promising struggling Australians a year's break from rent or mortgage payments sounded like a godsend.

View attachment 26310
Koala Mattress is offering an ‘intriguing’ promotion to ‘struggling’ Australians born after 1965. Credit: Koala Mattress

The competition, named 'Boomer Blocker', is allegedly discriminating against older Australians.

While visitors to the site won’t be asked for their date of birth, the company themselves said they designed the questions so it would deliberately disadvantage the baby boomer generation.

‘In a bid to stop the golden generation from claiming any more good deals, Koala is rolling out a first-of-its-kind "Boomer Blocker", a generationally biased questionnaire in which Aussies will need to answer as part of their application,’ it said.

The website continued: ‘[This] has been purposefully designed to try and filter out boomers and ensure the offer is available to everyone from generations X, Y and Z.’

View attachment 26311
The Boomer Blocker is essentially designed to keep the baby boomer generation and instead extend these benefits to the younger generation. Credit: Burst/Pexels

In one question, the user will be asked to explain the meaning of the term ‘Brangelina’, which is a reference to Hollywood stars Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie’s combined names.

Another question asked what pressing Control C and Control V in succession does on a keyboard. This is a command prompt to make it easier to copy and paste words or images.

Defending their stance, Rory Costello, Koala's Chief Commercial Officer, said that baby boomers had comparatively easier access to homeownership than the younger generations, and this competition aimed to ‘level the field’.

View attachment 26312
Another question asked what ‘boujee’ means. This is another term that describes someone living in luxury and is derived from the word ‘bourgeois’. Credit: Koala

‘We wanted to give Millennials, Gen Z’ers (referring to the generation born between the late 1990s to early 2010s), and everyone in-between the opportunity to have their rent or mortgage paid for an entire year, so they can use their cash for other luxuries that boomers enjoy daily,’ he added.

While some view this as a marketing gimmick, this move has understandably sparked conversations around age discrimination.

Just last month, Australia's outgoing age discrimination commissioner, Kay Patterson, called out ageist jokes.

‘We understand about sexism, we understand about racism. But most of us in our bones have some ageist views and joke about it sometimes, and jokes that would not be accepted in other areas,’ she continued.

‘“You look good for your age”. You know, we don't say to people, “You look good for being a woman” or “You look good for being an Indian or something”. We just have these strange attitudes to older people.’

Touching upon the generational financial disparity, it's crucial to reflect upon the fact that baby boomers, despite battling 18 per cent interest rates during the late 1980s, didn't face the debilitating debt-to-income ratios as the younger borrowers of today.

In 1989, Sydney’s median house price was $170,850, five times the average full-time salary of $26,874 after a 20 per cent mortgage deposit.

Compared to now, the median house price of $1.324 million is 11 times the average salary of $94,000 with the same 20 per cent mortgage deposit.

This is well above the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority's 'six' threshold for mortgage stress.

Reports show that single average-income earners now in their thirties or forties can't buy a typical Sydney house on their own. Melbourne, with a median house price of $918,971, is also out of reach, as is Brisbane, with a mid-point price of $806,781—unless a single borrower moved to a far, outer suburb.
Key Takeaways

• Koala mattress company has launched a competition to cover the rent or mortgage costs of Australians for a year but has intentionally designed it to disadvantage baby boomers.
  • Former age discrimination commissioner Kay Patterson has criticised the move, reminding the public of the ongoing issue of ageism.
  • Rory Costello, Koala's chief commercial officer, defended the competition, stating that it is intended to give younger generations a financial break similar to what baby boomers were able to enjoy.
  • The competition rules and focal points have sparked a debate on the different economic circumstances faced by various generations in Australia.

But whether the marketing stunt is a sign of ageism or merely recognising a ‘generational divide in income inequality’ in Australia—that’s for you to decide. Let us know in the comments what you think!
Youth is wasted on the young.

Reactions: TheBear and Gaena
Alot of us had it hard in the 80's but we just got on with it. There were lots of things we went without because we couldn't afford them. Today's gen like to complain about their lot and blame everyone else for it and expect handout's for everything. They still manage to have the latest phones and are covered in tattoo's.

• Love
Reactions: TheBear and Leenie
Let's all be heroes and enter, and hopefully a baby boomer will win, and foil this evil scheme :)
The questions were ridiculously easy. One of the questions I got is "Planking", which btw is the image of a horizontal person being carried, looks like at Stonehenge.

I answered the 2 questions and do not care if they are trying to exclude me. It is not allowed to do so. I think we need to flood their site with the over 58's entering.

Let's all be heroes and enter, and hopefully a baby boomer will win, and foil this evil scheme :)
The questions were ridiculously easy. One of the questions I got is "Planking", which btw is the image of a horizontal person being carried, looks like at Stonehenge.
One question I got was about Van Diesel and the other asked what is Pokemon.

Well, I think this competition just shows how stupid and uneducated the executives and marketing and promotional department millenials at Koala really are. If they think that we Boomers would not be able to answer these questions (and any other of a similar ilk) they are sadly mistaken. The 'joke' could easily backfire if the winning entry is from a clued-up, still relevant, socially aware, Boujee, Brangelina follower, technologically savvy Boomer needing a new mattress!

I think the powers that be are a little lacking in the brains department.This decision has cost them a lot of business,is probably illegal and what makes them think that we don't know what Brangelina is, I do and I'm 76.
Also there are a lot of us with computers and we can just Google the answers.
Pack of moronic half wits.
Hear hear👍

This is so discriminatory. I am a boomer and proud of it. The problem now is that Gen X Y Z want to start where we are finishing. My first home was a 1 bedroom flat. I slept on a camp stretcher, my heating was a blanket and I had no refrigerator. I was not out every day having smashed avo or chardy lunches with my friends. I was working 3 jobs with interest rates at 17.5%. There was no first home buyer subsidy nor any of the other subsidies which XYZ enjoy today. I do home someone deserving wins this competition but I will not be a customer of Koala
Very true and I'm still laughing.
I’m also puzzled as to how we were better off at an interest rate 3 times what it is now and an average house value to wages rate of just under half what it is today. Seems we were still paying more pro rata.
I’m also puzzled as to how we were better off at an interest rate 3 times what it is now and an average house value to wages rate of just under half what it is today. Seems we were still paying more pro rata.

View attachment 26310

View attachment 26311

View attachment 26312

Key Takeaways

pretty simple. do not purchase.

I was born in 1960. I faced finding my first full-time job during the 1980s recession. My now ex and I paid the 18% interest rates and did so by setting aside my wage to pay the mortgage. As his wage was below average, there were only the occasional luxuries. He worked a second job to pay for an overseas trip.
Unlike my second cousins who are 10+ y older, had 2 jobs, and bought second houses in their 40s, the boom years were past for me.
Yes, I am better off than many, but I don’t indulge in the luxuries on a regular basis as this website claims. My vehicles are bought used. I shop at op shops and Millers. I buy discounted meat at the supermarket. All to make ends meet on my below-average wage.
I’m not complaining about my situation. I have enough to have a roof over my head and food on the table with the occasional night out and free camping holiday, so I am better off than many single women in my age bracket.
But I object to this notion that all boomers are well off and the implication that somehow they are ripping the system off. My second cousins worked to get to their financial security. They earnt it. Cudos to them.
And let’s not overlook the homeless. The largest contingent of the homeless is women in my age bracket. Whilst they have no mortgage, I’m sure they’d appreciate rent for a year to just bloody live, luxuries be damned.
And what of the millennials on big wages?
This notion that somehow the boomers stole the future from the millennials and Gen z when they in fact created the conditions the millennials and Gen z enjoy, rubs me the wrong way.
Yes, the attitude behind the website is discriminatory and perpetuates a myth. However, I intend to enter and game the system.
I am sure it is young staff at Koala who are offering this competition, rent for a year so they can get all the extras that the Baby boomers had. not quite true we got the house on high interest rates only bought new furniture when we could afford it. Otherwise 2nd hand was good enough

View attachment 26310

View attachment 26311

View attachment 26312

Key Takeaways

It`s discrimination for sure. I`m not surprised as we see it all the time. However, they should be held to account. Certainly I will now never shop with them.

Reactions: Littleboy8
We built our own smàll house, literally. Took 14 years, earning and saving for next sttep of the way.When we moved in we had a mattress on bare boards, Koolgardie safe, clay floor in bathroom, borrowed furniture, electricity off the builders pole etc etc. Never dined out, or for a coffee. Husband had 2 jobs and studied at night.
The problem seems to be in the expectations of many in the younger generations. The make the best with what you have attitude seems to have generally escaped. No mending socks, turning sheets sides to middle, redesigning clothing etc. I am in the generation not labelled, before the post war boom.