Facebook Marketplace seller ends up in hospital after ‘gruesome’ altercation

Content Warning: This article mentions violence, including graphic descriptions of a stabbing incident and photos of stab wounds. Reader’s discretion is advised.

In the digital age, online marketplaces' convenience has revolutionised how we buy and sell goods.

Platforms like Facebook Marketplace have become popular, where you can find anything from second-hand furniture to high-end electronics.

However, the ease of connecting with strangers over the internet comes with its own set of risks, as a harrowing incident in Perth recently highlighted.

Will, a 20-year-old university student, experienced the darker side of these online transactions when what was supposed to be a simple exchange of goods turned into a life-threatening situation.

The young man was rushed to the hospital after being stabbed in the stomach and thigh during a mid-morning meet-up with a prospective buyer in the bustling suburb of Hyde Park.

shutterstock_1996237502.jpg
Will, a Facebook Marketplace seller, was stabbed by a prospective buyer. Image source: Shutterstock

The incident on March 28 began innocuously enough when Will agreed to meet the potential buyer to sell jewellery valued at around $2,000.

The situation escalated rapidly when the suspect snatched the items and fled, prompting Will to give chase.

The pursuit, captured on CCTV, ended in violence as the assailant turned on Will, stabbing him multiple times in front of shocked onlookers.

'It's like something you see in the movies, you can't imagine what it's like,' Will recounted, describing the confrontation as ‘crazy’ and ‘gruesome’.

'I'm looking at myself, and I just see this blood just pouring out of me... I've never seen anything like it,’ he added.

Screenshot 2024-04-08 104735.png
Police are looking for the assailant. Image source: Western Australia Police Force/Facebook

The university student was taken to Royal Perth Hospital for emergency surgery to assess the damage and determine whether his organs had been punctured.

Thankfully, Will's injuries did not involve any vital organs, and he is on the mend, though the psychological scars remain.

'It's quite a scary thing, I've had some terrible dreams,' he admitted.

More than a week after the attack, the police are still on the hunt for the perpetrator.

Detective Acting Sergeant Millie Phelan has made a public appeal, urging the attacker to surrender to the authorities.

'These kinds of acts are cowardly and incredibly violent, and the victim is very lucky to have escaped with no life-changing injuries,' she stated.

You can watch an interview with Will here:
Warning: This video contains graphic images of a stab wound. Viewers' discretion is advised.

Source: 9 News Perth/Facebook​

This incident is a stark reminder of the potential dangers of meeting strangers for online transactions.

In 2020, a similar tragedy unfolded in Sydney when a man was murdered while attempting to sell Apple AirPods. His attacker was later sentenced to 16 years in prison.

We urge our members to exercise caution when using online marketplaces. Here are some safety tips:

1. Always meet in a public and well-lit area, preferably with CCTV coverage.
2. Consider bringing a friend or family member along for the transaction.
3. Inform someone else of your plans, including where you're going and who you're meeting.
4. Trust your instincts—don't hesitate to cancel the meetup if something feels off.
5. Use secure payment methods and avoid carrying large amounts of cash.

Key Takeaways
  • A 20-year-old university student was stabbed in a violent incident during a Facebook Marketplace meeting in Perth.
  • The student, named Will, was meeting a potential buyer to sell jewellery worth approximately $2,000.
  • Police are still searching for the attacker, and CCTV footage of the chase has been shared.
  • They urge the assailant to hand himself in and for anyone with information to come forward.
The digital marketplace can be a fantastic resource for finding deals and selling unwanted items, but it's crucial to prioritise your safety above all else.

Do you sell on Facebook Marketplace? Share your experiences in the comments below.

• Wow
Reactions: Liag and Littleboy8
Sponsored
Will the dill why on earth didn’t he go to a pawn broker or jewellers or whatever.🤔People just don’t learn do they.😿a very valuable lesson learnt here one hopes.

I would never, ever sell anything that involves someone coming to my home for a look, or a pick up.
Even if the item is not of great value, you are still giving someone the opportunity to look at where you are, what you have that may be of value, and, what kind of access can be gained. In other words, it's an opportunity to case the joint.
Bad idea.

I have used Gumtree for years to sell unwanted items. Never had a problem.
Recently tried to buy something thru Marketplace. I found the whole process pain in the rear end.
I've sent the seller four! messages. He's replied to none, even though he posted that the item is still available.
They don't have a number you can ring,just a notice telling you to ring (hidden information) .Asked quite a few tech savvy friends how you find this "hidden information" to no avail.
Have given up in frustration
He's lost a possible $25,000 sale.
Personally I think if you are wanting to sell something's but are too paranoid to put a number interested buyers can ring then just don't bother wasting people's time.

I have used Gumtree for years to sell unwanted items. Never had a problem.
Recently tried to buy something thru Marketplace. I found the whole process pain in the rear end.
I've sent the seller four! messages. He's replied to none, even though he posted that the item is still available.
They don't have a number you can ring,just a notice telling you to ring (hidden information) .Asked quite a few tech savvy friends how you find this "hidden information" to no avail.
Have given up in frustration
He's lost a possible $25,000 sale.
Personally I think if you are wanting to sell something's but are too paranoid to put a number interested buyers can ring then just don't bother wasting people's time.
Think you may have saved yourself $25000. This sounds like a marketplace scam to me.

Think you may have saved yourself $25000. This sounds like a marketplace scam to me.
Yes, you could be right.
We did go to the country town where he lived and the people did know him, said he was away but daughter was still in town.Apparently he did have a caravan for sale so I don't know what his problem is, but I can't be bothered with time wasters.