Exposed: How Triple J's Sally Coleman battled her landlord and won—you won't believe what it was over!

In a tale that could rival any courtroom drama, Triple J presenter Sally Coleman has shared a gripping account of her legal tussle with a landlord over a staggering $1100 cleaning bill. This saga, which unfolded in the corridors of the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT), is a stark reminder of the potential pitfalls of rental agreements and the importance of knowing your rights as a tenant.

The dispute began when Coleman and her housemates were slapped with a hefty cleaning bill at the end of their lease—a bill they deemed completely unnecessary. Despite their efforts to leave the property in a clean state, the real estate agent insisted on professional cleaning services, which resulted in an invoice that left the tenants aghast.

1722572294849.png
Triple J's Sally Coleman shared her experience with a $1100 cleaning bill dispute after moving out of a rental. Credit: @thesallycoleman / TikTok

The list of alleged cleaning misdemeanours included such trivialities as a speck of dirt on the floor, a single hair on the bathroom floor, and a whisper of dust in a cupboard. It's the kind of nitpicking that would have most tenants rolling their eyes in disbelief. But rather than acquiesce to the demands, Coleman and her housemates stood their ground, refusing to pay the exorbitant fee.

As the dispute escalated, their $6500 bond was held hostage pending the outcome of the tribunal case. The tenants, however, were not deterred. They armed themselves with over 40 pages of documentation, including photos and notes detailing the condition of the property upon their departure. Yet, in a conciliation hearing—an informal attempt to resolve the dispute before a formal hearing—the agent seemed uninterested in their meticulous evidence.

The landlord's intransigence was apparent when Coleman revealed that the owner would 'not budge' on the cleaning fee. It was a standoff that seemed less about cleanliness and more about extracting as much money as possible from the situation. The tenants, in a strategic move, offered a 'token amount' of $250 to settle the dispute, a far cry from the original $1100 demanded.

In a twist that highlights the importance of procedural fairness, Coleman pointed out that the absence of an itemized invoice for the cleaning services could have landed the landlord in hot water. Under Section 165 of the NSW Tenancy Act, landlords are required to provide such documentation within seven days of making a claim on a rental bond. Failure to do so can result in fines of up to $2000.

The landlord's agent, undeterred by the potential penalties, seemed to embody a cavalier attitude towards the legal requirements—a stance that Coleman suggests is indicative of a broader issue within the rental industry. The implication is clear: some agents may prioritize the satisfaction of high-value clients over the rights of tenants, even if it means skirting the law.

In the end, the tenants' resilience paid off. The $250 offer was accepted, and the bond was returned. Coleman's story is not just a personal victory but a beacon of hope for tenants everywhere. It underscores the power of knowledge, the importance of documentation, and the necessity of standing up for one's rights.

For our readers, especially those in their golden years who may be renting, this story is a reminder to always be vigilant about your rental agreements. Ensure you understand the terms and conditions, document the state of the property upon moving in and out, and don't be afraid to challenge unfair demands. Remember, the law is there to protect you, and as Sally Coleman's case shows, even the most daunting landlords can be held accountable.

Credit: @thesallycoleman / Instagram

Key Takeaways
  • Triple J presenter Sally Coleman shared her experience with a legal dispute over a $1100 cleaning bill from her landlord after moving out of a rental property.
  • Despite cleaning the property themselves, Sally and her housemates faced claims for additional professional cleaning and had their $6500 bond withheld.
  • The issue escalated to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT), with the landlord eventually accepting a much lower settlement of $250.
  • Sally pointed out that failure to provide an itemised invoice within seven days could result in fines under the NSW Tenancy Act, highlighting the pressure the tenants can use against overbearing landlords or agents.

We'd love to hear about your rental experiences. Have you ever had to fight for your bond? What advice would you give to fellow renters? Share your stories and tips in the comments below!

Sponsored
When we were landlords, we always took date stamped film (not photos) of the house just before tenants moved in, had our agents make them aware of this, ensured they made tenants aware, then, we kept it on file.
We always took date stamped film of the house on date of departure.
The bonds were kept in trust, so, it was no skin off our nose to pay them back to the previous tenant after the walk through, as is the law.
Another important part of our lease was that the tenant be made fully aware of their rights and responsibilities as well as what the landlord has to provide or maintain during the course of the lease.
We never had any problems.
Transparency before signing on the dotted line of any official agreement is paramount. If it was me, I would not have paid the $250. This landlord, or his agent, are shonks and not living up to the agreement. Today, I am really glad I don't own a rental anymore. I hated putting up the rent to the rate recommended by agents. I couldn't live with myself rentals being as they are today.

Yes . I've done that whilst renting before our house was built. At the the end of the lease the landlord refused to give us our bond back he picked out lot's of marks he said weren't there as it was a new house. The house was cleaner when we left it as the house he had built had sand left everywhere which we cleaned and layed lino in the laundry and a few other things like installing a telephone . .He had demanded we pay by cheque made out to cash,so I changed to my bank which didn't do cash ,he wasn't impressed. I told him I had contacted small claims and would see him in court and tell them about the cheques. About a week before court appearance we saw him put a envelope in our post box it was a cheque for the complete bond. I was a little disappointed as wanted my day in court he needed to be stopped

Sad to know that agents and their shonky landlord clients think they can expect renters will swallow such a bill like that in this day and age. Greed rears its ugly head. They give good agencies and landlords a bad name.

Reactions: Gsr
When we had 2 bedsitters in a high rise at the top of Goulburn st., in Sydney, when a tenant left, the wife& self used to give them a good once over. We'd let the agent know when to be re-leased & also upped the rent by an extra few dollars. This was a ploy by us for when we wanted to resell. It paid off , where we kept all receipts of the rental increases for the agent to show prospective buyers. They only took a few days to sell.