Exposed: How Coles' 'cheapskate' tactics on meat could affect your grocery bill!

The rising cost of groceries is a concern for many Australians, especially for people on fixed incomes like pensions. But what if you're paying more for less without even realising it?

A recent incident involving a Coles shopper has brought to light a seemingly underhanded tactic employed by supermarkets to subtly increase prices.

The disgruntled shopper shared photos on social media showing two nearly identical packets of beef and pork meatballs purchased from Coles.

Both packets were advertised as two for $15, but there was a significant difference in weight.

The first packet weighed 560 grams, while the second, purchased a month later, weighed only 400 grams.

The shopper pointed out the whopping 28 per cent reduction in meatballs with no corresponding decrease in price.

Untitled design (1).jpg
The first pack above, weighing 560g, cost $15, while the other one, weighing only 400g, fetched the same price. Image: Reddit

'Coles (Australian supermarket duopoly cheapskates) have the gall to do a 28 per cent shrinkage in a month,' the shopper wrote online.

'Thank God you can still get the two for $15 special?!'

The post quickly gained traction, amassing thousands of reactions and hundreds of comments.

This shopper's frustration resonated with many Australians feeling the pinch of rising food prices.

'I barely go [to Coles] anymore, and this is why,' one person wrote.

'It’s about a 25-minute drive to ALDI, but [it] more than pays for itself.'

Another commented, 'I have probably a year left before I can’t afford to buy food anymore if things keep going this way.'

‘We’re being conned and ripped off, and there's no way around it,’ someone expressed.

‘Shopping for food used to be something I really enjoyed doing and nowadays it just feels stressful and upsetting! Every time I buy something, it's a little bit more expensive and a bit s**t and smaller than it was.’

Coles declined to comment on the matter, but this incident raises questions about the pricing practices of supermarket giants.

Are they exploiting consumers to boost their profits amid rising inflation?

Professor Roberta Crouch from the College of Business, Government and Law at Flinders University believes so.

'One of the ways to try to hold the perception of the same price, but increase your price and therefore increase your margin, is to reduce the size of packaging,' she told a news source.

However, she also acknowledged that supermarkets are grappling with rising costs, such as fuel and power bills.

'Fuel is one of their inputs that they always cite. If fuel prices are high, then grocery prices tend to follow...especially perishable items like fresh fruit and vegetables. It's not like you can put it on a train and wait.'

So, what can consumers do to protect themselves from these sneaky tactics? Professor Crouch advises shoppers to be vigilant and understand how pricing works.

'Look at that label where it gives you the price per unit. Consumers have really got to be on their toes and try to understand how the pricing works, because all of these things can be manipulated in order to make it appear that a price has been held.'

The Coles meatball incident comes amid calls for greater transparency from Coles and Woolworths regarding their pricing practices.

A senate inquiry into allegations of price gouging is underway.

'There's a lot of talk going on right now about Coles and Woolies being more transparent about how much of their margin goes to the farmer,' Professor Crouch said.

'Because the farmers are always talking about the fact that they're pushed to the limit on pricing. So there are some calls for some transparency there and it'll be interesting to see if that happens.'

In the meantime, consumers must stay alert and informed to ensure they're getting the best value for their money.

While the Coles meatball incident is a stark example, it's not the only way supermarkets subtly increase prices.

Here are a few other tactics to watch out for:

1. Shrinkflation: This is when the size or quantity of a product is reduced, but the price remains the same. It's a sneaky way for companies to pass on cost increases without raising prices.

2. Changing product placement: Supermarkets often place more expensive items at eye level, where they're more likely to catch your attention. Cheaper alternatives may be on higher or lower shelves.

3. Promoting 'special' deals: Just because an item is labelled as 'on sale' or 'special' doesn't necessarily mean it's a good deal. Always check the unit price to ensure you're getting the best value.

4. Bundling products: Sometimes, supermarkets bundle products and sell them at a 'discounted' price. However, if you don't need all the items in the bundle, you might end up spending more than necessary.

5. Using 'premium' product lines: Many supermarkets have their own 'premium' product lines, which are often more expensive than their regular or budget lines. While these products may be of higher quality, they're not always worth the extra cost.

By being aware of these tactics, you can make smarter shopping decisions and get the most bang for your buck.

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles shopper expressed frustration over perceived shrinkflation in meatball packet sizes, with a 28 per cent reduction over a month.
  • The reduction in product size has led to customer dissatisfaction, as revealed by online reactions, amid rising food prices in Australia.
  • Coles did not provide a comment on this specific case, but the practice of reducing package sizes is part of a broader strategy to increase margins without raising prices, as explained by Professor Roberta Crouch.
  • There is growing pressure for Coles and Woolworths to be more transparent about product pricing and how much of their margins are passed on to farmers, with a senate inquiry into allegations of price gouging underway.
  • There are a few tactics that supermarkets use to subtly increase prices such as Shrinkflation, Changing product placement, Promoting 'special' deals, Bundling products, and Using 'premium' product lines.

What are your thoughts on this issue, members? Have you noticed any sneaky price increases at your local supermarket? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
The ACCC tell us that if we don't like something we should vote with our feet. All we need to do is follow their advice and do as sharkfin1 and Robbo3006 suggest. Join me in boycotting both Coles and Woolworth's for the month of February. Use other supermarkets, specialty stores, fresh produce markets etc. and I'm sure we'll see a drastic change in attitude from these giants. It may cost a bit more in the short term but hopefully save us more in the long run. We are 200,000 strong. We can make a difference.
Wonderful idea but most people are too complacent and lazy to do it.
Make up all kinds of excuses.
I shop wherever I can get the best price, and that is definitely not Coles or Woolworths.
I only.by 50% specials there.

If you are happy to slam Coles for doing it, could you point me to any supermarket chain that does not do it?

Unit prices are not always correct and are not realiable, we have on several occassions done the math and it does not add up.

The rising cost of groceries is a concern for many Australians, especially for people on fixed incomes like pensions. But what if you're paying more for less without even realising it?

A recent incident involving a Coles shopper has brought to light a seemingly underhanded tactic employed by supermarkets to subtly increase prices.

The disgruntled shopper shared photos on social media showing two nearly identical packets of beef and pork meatballs purchased from Coles.

Both packets were advertised as two for $15, but there was a significant difference in weight.

The first packet weighed 560 grams, while the second, purchased a month later, weighed only 400 grams.

The shopper pointed out the whopping 28 per cent reduction in meatballs with no corresponding decrease in price.

View attachment 39256
The first pack above, weighing 560g, cost $15, while the other one, weighing only 400g, fetched the same price. Image: Reddit

'Coles (Australian supermarket duopoly cheapskates) have the gall to do a 28 per cent shrinkage in a month,' the shopper wrote online.

The post quickly gained traction, amassing thousands of reactions and hundreds of comments.

This shopper's frustration resonated with many Australians feeling the pinch of rising food prices.

Another commented, 'I have probably a year left before I can’t afford to buy food anymore if things keep going this way.'

‘We’re being conned and ripped off, and there's no way around it,’ someone expressed.

‘Shopping for food used to be something I really enjoyed doing and nowadays it just feels stressful and upsetting! Every time I buy something, it's a little bit more expensive and a bit s**t and smaller than it was.’

Coles declined to comment on the matter, but this incident raises questions about the pricing practices of supermarket giants.

Professor Roberta Crouch from the College of Business, Government and Law at Flinders University believes so.

'One of the ways to try to hold the perception of the same price, but increase your price and therefore increase your margin, is to reduce the size of packaging,' she told a news source.

However, she also acknowledged that supermarkets are grappling with rising costs, such as fuel and power bills.

'Fuel is one of their inputs that they always cite. If fuel prices are high, then grocery prices tend to follow...especially perishable items like fresh fruit and vegetables. It's not like you can put it on a train and wait.'

So, what can consumers do to protect themselves from these sneaky tactics? Professor Crouch advises shoppers to be vigilant and understand how pricing works.

'Look at that label where it gives you the price per unit. Consumers have really got to be on their toes and try to understand how the pricing works, because all of these things can be manipulated in order to make it appear that a price has been held.'

The Coles meatball incident comes amid calls for greater transparency from Coles and Woolworths regarding their pricing practices.

'There's a lot of talk going on right now about Coles and Woolies being more transparent about how much of their margin goes to the farmer,' Professor Crouch said.

'Because the farmers are always talking about the fact that they're pushed to the limit on pricing. So there are some calls for some transparency there and it'll be interesting to see if that happens.'

In the meantime, consumers must stay alert and informed to ensure they're getting the best value for their money.

While the Coles meatball incident is a stark example, it's not the only way supermarkets subtly increase prices.

1. Shrinkflation: This is when the size or quantity of a product is reduced, but the price remains the same. It's a sneaky way for companies to pass on cost increases without raising prices.

2. Changing product placement: Supermarkets often place more expensive items at eye level, where they're more likely to catch your attention. Cheaper alternatives may be on higher or lower shelves.

3. Promoting 'special' deals: Just because an item is labelled as 'on sale' or 'special' doesn't necessarily mean it's a good deal. Always check the unit price to ensure you're getting the best value.

4. Bundling products: Sometimes, supermarkets bundle products and sell them at a 'discounted' price. However, if you don't need all the items in the bundle, you might end up spending more than necessary.

5. Using 'premium' product lines: Many supermarkets have their own 'premium' product lines, which are often more expensive than their regular or budget lines. While these products may be of higher quality, they're not always worth the extra cost.

By being aware of these tactics, you can make smarter shopping decisions and get the most bang for your buck.

Key Takeaways

• A Coles shopper expressed frustration over perceived shrinkflation in meatball packet sizes, with a 28 per cent reduction over a month.
  • The reduction in product size has led to customer dissatisfaction, as revealed by online reactions, amid rising food prices in Australia.
  • Coles did not provide a comment on this specific case, but the practice of reducing package sizes is part of a broader strategy to increase margins without raising prices, as explained by Professor Roberta Crouch.
  • There is growing pressure for Coles and Woolworths to be more transparent about product pricing and how much of their margins are passed on to farmers, with a senate inquiry into allegations of price gouging underway.
  • There are a few tactics that supermarkets use to subtly increase prices such as Shrinkflation, Changing product placement, Promoting 'special' deals, Bundling products, and Using 'premium' product lines.

What are your thoughts on this issue, members? Have you noticed any sneaky price increases at your local supermarket? Share your experiences in the comments below.
Speaking of shrinking, has anyone noticed bottles of spirits have now shrunk from 750ml to 700ml, and why is SA's pub pint glass the size of a schooner everywhere else?

I think it's about time to ban Coles and Woolworths they are getting out of control. Bring back shops like Franklins and other small businesses to keep the competition going that's how it used to be the big companies are just getting too bloody greedy.
Try Drakes. There are several in Adelaide areas

In Woolworths this week I bought a pack of pork loin steaks with a red sticker saying PRICES DROPPED.

on closer inspection, and in small letters it said Since 2/6/21!!! Now, that does not look like a special price to me!!

Not been to Cole’s since 28 December Ordered our flyby gift cards in November received notification 10 December that had been actioned did not receive them until 7 January ( (stamped dated 2 January not what I call good customer service
Damn those public holidays. An automated reply email is an acknowledgement of your request, nothing else. Why is this a question of 'customer service' that something most people would expected from a face to face encounter.

View attachment 39256

Key Takeaways

Once upon a time people found guilty of shoddy practices faced the possibility of execution for these unhanded practices.

• Haha
Reactions: Milica

View attachment 39256

Key Takeaways

It is up to the individual person, when shopping, to stay vigilant. instead of just trusting the advertised sale products, I say, take responsibility for your own actions and take the time to actually read, instructions on the item instead of using social media to voice your opinion.

At the moment we don't have to Boycott our local Woolies as it is closed for up to 11 months as the shopping centre is refurbishing the whole area in which it stands we have Coles or Aldi . I use aldi for most of our shopping and the rest we get at Coles which is usually not much only the stuff we can't get at Aldi.

View attachment 39256

Key Takeaways

I don't think fuel costs can come into it anymore, as they stabilised months and months a go.

I don't think fuel costs can come into it anymore, as they stabilised months and months a go.
Where???
but is it the right weight.. ever 10g under would rake in a fortune

Mmmm, there's a thought. Never thought to check
I buy 600g meat trays for my dog's and then put it into separate bags.
Must admit they hardly ever come out to the right number of 100g bags even though I weigh them. Last bag is nearly always short. Am wondering if the weight includes the tray??

Reactions: IAN3005
Where???

Mmmm, there's a thought. Never thought to check
I buy 600g meat trays for my dog's and then put it into separate bags.
Must admit they hardly ever come out to the right number of 100g bags even though I weigh them. Last bag is nearly always short. Am wondering if the weight includes the tray??

Probably!!!!