Experts reveal that viral seatbelt tip could endanger lives

In the age of social media, viral tips designed to simplify lives are a dime a dozen.

However, not all of them are safe or advisable, as demonstrated by a recent viral tip that has garnered over 21 million views.

One video, that promises a solution to the discomfort of sleeping on long-haul flights, has sparked concern among travel experts who warn that the hack could be life-threatening.

The tip, shared by a user named Lexi, showed her demonstrating a method to achieve a more comfortable sleep in the notoriously cramped economy section of an aeroplane.

She suggested curling up on the seat and fastening the seatbelt around the ankles to prevent slipping off during sleep.

photo (2).jpg
A woman shared her tip to achieve a more comfortable sleep onboard an aeroplane. Image source: TikTok/@alexisburnaby1711.

'To whoever it was that said to put the plane belt around your ankles, I owe you my life,' she wrote in the caption.

While this might seem like an ingenious solution to the discomfort of sleeping in economy class, flight safety experts have been quick to debunk the hack as potentially dangerous.

Michael Wallace, a Travel Expert and CEO of Greenback Expat Tax Services, explained to Thrillist why this method could be hazardous.

'If it’s attached to your ankles, this could put you in a life-threatening situation as you take extra time first to unbuckle and re-buckle your seatbelt,' he said.

'If the plane hits turbulence that causes you to lean forward at an increased rate, colliding with the seat in front of you and your knees can lead to two very different outcomes.'

Wallace further warned that a sudden jolt could cause the passenger to knee themselves in the face, potentially resulting in a concussion.

This is a concern not only for the passenger but also for the flight staff who are responsible for the safety of all on board.

When a commenter questioned the comfort of her method, Lexi responded, saying, 'I’m someone who has to sleep with my legs up [and] I usually tuck my feet behind the seat. I can’t sleep in a sitting position—it’s too [uncomfortable]! This was also a 3-hour flight…'

Furthermore, other users on the video agreed with the experts and expressed doubts about the safety and comfort of the hack.

'My knees would be like grenades when I [unbuckle] it,' one user wrote.

'No way that’s safe,' another replied.

A flight attendant also chimed in, pleading, 'As a flight attendant…please don’t.'

One user who tried the tip reported being reprimanded by a flight attendant.

You can watch Lexi’s full video below:

Video source: TikTok/@alexisburnaby1711.

While it's understandable that passengers seek comfort during long-haul flights, safety should always be the top priority. It's crucial to follow the safety guidelines provided by the airline and to listen to the instructions of the flight crew.
Key Takeaways

• A woman’s viral travel hack that involved the use of a seatbelt around the ankles has been deemed dangerous by travel experts.
  • The seatbelt method, intended for comfort while sleeping in economy class, has been viewed over 21 million times.
  • Experts warned that having the seatbelt around the ankles could be life-threatening in the event of turbulence or an emergency.
  • Flight attendants and commenters on social media have also discouraged the use of this hack, with some saying it's unsafe and uncomfortable.
What are your thoughts on this tip, dear members? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I have seen some idiotic things on a plane but this takes the cake. The fact that you say it is trending is slightly unnerving ...to think more than one person would be so morose is frankly scary.

Reactions: Ezzy
You know what, if you want to be comfortable, save your money and go business class, otherwise do as you are told by the professionals (those who happen to be responsible for you on the flight). A long time ago I used to be able to put the blanket over myself and stretch my feet up into the window without encroaching on any other passenger to have a snooze, however, those days are long gone. Now we save for long haul flights, because there is nothing worse than arriving at your destination aching and cranky.

I have visions of hitting turbulences & getting a knee jerk reaction.

Cutting off the blood supply would give one numb legs wouldn't it?

Regardless of the safety aspect of doing this the chances of developing a serious case of DVT is increased significantly resulting in death if one of the clots move to your heart or brain. Brainless idea if there ever was one.