Experts push for food-labelling changes to spur healthier choices among Australians

We, as a society, are eating more processed food than ever.

Ultra-processed foods are everywhere — in grocery stores, petrol stations, take-away restaurants, and online stores. It's easy to see how our dietary choices can get warped with this much accessibility.

A study in 2019 found that almost half of Aussies’ diets are made up of these foods, which are usually high in calories, sodium, and added sugars.

They lack many necessary nutrients our bodies need and often pack in extra chemicals and preservatives that harm our health.

With this in mind, it is no surprise that there are calls for improving how food is labelled to encourage Aussies to make healthier food choices.

Another more recent study conducted by Deakin University researchers revealed that large, graphic warning labels on the front of packaging are more effective in dissuading people from buying ultra-processed foods.

https___prod.static9.net.jpg
According to a recent study, warning labels like this more effectively convince people to make healthier food choices. Image Credit: Deakin University

Chris Dubelaar, Professor of Marketing at Deakin University and co-author of the study published in the Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, said the results align with earlier observations that warning signs are a good option for making people make healthier food choices,

‘A basic food label that tells you something is not good for you doesn't work,’ Dubelaar said. ‘Unless it has a big warning label on the front of that pack that explicitly says, “This is going to hurt you”, people will ignore it.’

The study led by Associate Professor Natalina Zlatevska says the results highlight the need for a more effective food labelling system in place for Australia.

‘We need to make it very clear when food is bad for you,’ she said.

‘This is part of a bigger issue around health literacy. Most food labels have too much information that is hard for people to decipher. Complex labels don't work that well because people don't understand them.’

‘Obesity is a global public health crisis, and post-pandemic obesity levels are at record highs. We need to help people make a better decision about their food choices.’

The Australian Bureau of Statistics says two-thirds of adults aged 18 and up are overweight or obese. This amounts to roughly 12.5 million people nationwide.

Being overweight or obese increases the probability of contracting many chronic conditions, like cardiovascular disease, asthma, chronic kidney disease, dementia, diabetes, and cancer.

‘The current labels don't work, and evidence-backed action is needed now,’ Zlatevska said.

Applying-health-stars.jpg
There is a growing call for better food labelling practices as some deem current measures in place inadequate. Image Credit: Health Star Rating System

Australia currently has the Health Star Rating System, wherein shoppers can gauge an item’s healthiness by checking how many stars it has out of a maximum of five, with 5 stars being the highest health rating.

Despite being hailed as a step in the right direction, the health star system has been criticised over the years for a number of reasons.

For one, it’s voluntary. Manufacturers can unilaterally decide when and how to use it, leading to observations and suspicions or ratings that are untrue.

Key Takeaways

• Researchers from Deakin University have called for large labels warning products are high in sugar, fat or salt to be displayed on food packaging.
  • People are likely to ignore basic food labels, which state a product is unhealthy, according to the research paper.
  • Australia currently has the Health Start Rating System, but it has been criticised in the past as being inadequate for people to make healthy food choices.
  • Food Standards Australia New Zealand is considering including added sugar information on nutrition labels for packaged foods.
As a result, it was estimated that only 20 per cent of food items in Australia (and New Zealand) had star ratings.

Critics also pointed out that the ratings can’t be used for cross-product comparisons due to how they factor in ingredients.

For example, two different products — say, orange juice and a carton of milk — rated four stars by their respective manufacturers can be widely different regarding healthiness despite the similar ranking.

Consumer advocacy group CHOICE called for changes to the Health Star Rating System in 2019, including making it mandatory for manufacturers.

They also pointed out that the system doesn’t really do anything to disincentivise the higher sugar and salt content of items, thereby encouraging manufacturers to continue with the practice that puts more consumers at risk.

photo-1604719312566-8912e9227c6a.jpg
Do you check the nutrition labels of items you purchase in groceries? Image Credit: Unsplash

In relation to this development, Food Standards Australia New Zealand is also considering the inclusion of sugar information on packaged foods’ nutrition labels.

If you have time, you might also want to check out why two orange juices at one Coles displayed different health star ratings despite coming from the same manufacturer.

A similar case happened last year with one Woolworths shopper’s purchase of a store-brand fruit juice, but he didn’t buy the store’s explanation.

So, what are your thoughts on this? Should supermarkets place more noticeable warnings on ultra-processed foods to encourage customers to opt for healthier options? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Seriously, the only way, in my thoughts, that would help in any way would be to make healthy food cheaper and junk food more expensive.
At the moment it is the other way around. The "no added sugar", "less fat", organic etc are for the rich not the pensioners.

Ultra-processed foods are everywhere — in grocery stores, petrol stations, take-away restaurants, and online stores. It's easy to see how our dietary choices can get warped with this much accessibility.

A study in 2019 found that almost half of Aussies’ diets are made up of these foods, which are usually high in calories, sodium, and added sugars.

They lack many necessary nutrients our bodies need and often pack in extra chemicals and preservatives that harm our health.

With this in mind, it is no surprise that there are calls for improving how food is labelled to encourage Aussies to make healthier food choices.

Another more recent study conducted by Deakin University researchers revealed that large, graphic warning labels on the front of packaging are more effective in dissuading people from buying ultra-processed foods.

View attachment 14129
According to a recent study, warning labels like this more effectively convince people to make healthier food choices. Image Credit: Deakin University

Chris Dubelaar, Professor of Marketing at Deakin University and co-author of the study published in the Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, said the results align with earlier observations that warning signs are a good option for making people make healthier food choices,

‘A basic food label that tells you something is not good for you doesn't work,’ Dubelaar said. ‘Unless it has a big warning label on the front of that pack that explicitly says, “This is going to hurt you”, people will ignore it.’

The study led by Associate Professor Natalina Zlatevska says the results highlight the need for a more effective food labelling system in place for Australia.

‘This is part of a bigger issue around health literacy. Most food labels have too much information that is hard for people to decipher. Complex labels don't work that well because people don't understand them.’

‘Obesity is a global public health crisis, and post-pandemic obesity levels are at record highs. We need to help people make a better decision about their food choices.’

The Australian Bureau of Statistics says two-thirds of adults aged 18 and up are overweight or obese. This amounts to roughly 12.5 million people nationwide.

Being overweight or obese increases the probability of contracting many chronic conditions, like cardiovascular disease, asthma, chronic kidney disease, dementia, diabetes, and cancer.

‘The current labels don't work, and evidence-backed action is needed now,’ Zlatevska said.

View attachment 14128
There is a growing call for better food labelling practices as some deem current measures in place inadequate. Image Credit: Health Star Rating System

Australia currently has the Health Star Rating System, wherein shoppers can gauge an item’s healthiness by checking how many stars it has out of a maximum of five, with 5 stars being the highest health rating.

Despite being hailed as a step in the right direction, the health star system has been criticised over the years for a number of reasons.

For one, it’s voluntary. Manufacturers can unilaterally decide when and how to use it, leading to observations and suspicions or ratings that are untrue.

Key Takeaways

• Researchers from Deakin University have called for large labels warning products are high in sugar, fat or salt to be displayed on food packaging.
  • People are likely to ignore basic food labels, which state a product is unhealthy, according to the research paper.
  • Australia currently has the Health Start Rating System, but it has been criticised in the past as being inadequate for people to make healthy food choices.
  • Food Standards Australia New Zealand is considering including added sugar information on nutrition labels for packaged foods.
As a result, it was estimated that only 20 per cent of food items in Australia (and New Zealand) had star ratings.

Critics also pointed out that the ratings can’t be used for cross-product comparisons due to how they factor in ingredients.

For example, two different products — say, orange juice and a carton of milk — rated four stars by their respective manufacturers can be widely different regarding healthiness despite the similar ranking.

Consumer advocacy group CHOICE called for changes to the Health Star Rating System in 2019, including making it mandatory for manufacturers.

They also pointed out that the system doesn’t really do anything to disincentivise the higher sugar and salt content of items, thereby encouraging manufacturers to continue with the practice that puts more consumers at risk.

View attachment 14127
Do you check the nutrition labels of items you purchase in groceries? Image Credit: Unsplash

In relation to this development, Food Standards Australia New Zealand is also considering the inclusion of sugar information on packaged foods’ nutrition labels.

If you have time, you might also want to check out why two orange juices at one Coles displayed different health star ratings despite coming from the same manufacturer.

A similar case happened last year with one Woolworths shopper’s purchase of a store-brand fruit juice, but he didn’t buy the store’s explanation.

So, what are your thoughts on this? Should supermarkets place more noticeable warnings on ultra-processed foods to encourage customers to opt for healthier options? Let us know in the comments below.
I’d just like to be able to read the contents - it’s so small, just like the labels on medication 😞

If I want something I'll buy it - regardless of any labels they might stick on it. I'm old enough to know what & when I want to eat something & don't need to be told by some health conscious govt official what I should eat. They can put all the labels they want on my fave food but it won't make me change my mind about buying it.

• Love
Reactions: Anoush
I’d just like to be able to read the contents - it’s so small, just like the labels on medication 😞
You're absolutely right! I find nutrition tables (which I'm perfectly able to understand) so bloody small or faint as to be completely indecipherable! For example, pale yellow print on a white or orange background. Pink lettering on a slightly darker pink background. But the worst for me lately was faint blue print on a see-through package of Burgen seed bread - impossible to read and so small you could easily miss it altogether!😡

View attachment 14129

View attachment 14128

Key Takeaways

View attachment 14127

Yes labels are shocking. Please do yourself a favour. Do research on "leaky gut". It's quite eye opening and the cause of many of our health issues. Youtube is a good source. Be your own advocate. Doctors and pharmaceuticals aren't always the right answers. I'm in the middle of turning my Health around.

I'm with you 100%

I do check the labels, for ingredients that we are allergic to.
I have thought about taking a magnifying glass when I go shopping.

Reactions: Thecheesequeen
I am tired of seeing in the weekly catalogues of the big stores, all the junk food promoted and on sale. Put the healthy food on sale and that might make people buy more of that foods rather than all the junk drinks and foods.
Yes, the catalogues are jam packed with junk food every week

Most of the time I need a magnifying glass to read the label perched on the side or back of the box, and I do not rate the health stars labeling as being true as it is not compulsary and has been shown to being a rort by many food maufacturers.

Elaine41,,I am with you,,,, ,,,I have children who have gone the half century and one coming up to it,,both have perfect beautiful white teeth and healthy skin , have regular check-ups on both teeth and body despite enjoying the spoils of life,,they had good fresh home grown produce grown by their Dad and meat from our farm,,they loved their meals plus home made goodies,,,I really think things have gone to far these days,,,yes there are lots of food allergies,,I have one but it doesn't bother me if I do the right thing,,I know of families who have an allergic person in the family so everyone has to have that diet,,crazy and selfish on the parents part,,,,,I will have what I want when I want it,,hasn't hurt me yet,,I feel sorry for children these days