Expert weighs in on the question: Are self-serve checkouts taking jobs away from hard-working Aussies?

Ever since supermarket giants such as Coles and Woolworths introduced self-serve checkout technology in their Australian stores a few years ago, a number of customers have speculated that this new feature came at the cost of supermarket jobs.

Many shoppers debated the idea on social media, with plenty of them saying they refuse to use self-serve checkouts because they are "reducing the number of jobs".

But is this true?

Let's hear it from a consumer expert.

0OHKM1tFR7v7IRWrNqZE6CnHDnsxVF6t3s-nvcMgzS4bLWqHJQnFNUpT7I-7WU6Q1NLGqf03CHHU50Mu0a2G63Qw6xjGjlJoTFEjFJnB0HbLRZjzhet_3H2tHdJDzGc5zdWcPuc2

Many customers questioned the effect of self-serve checkout on staff numbers. Credit: Getty Images.
According to Professor Gary Mortimer, professor of Consumer Marketing at QUT, self-serve checkouts are not taking away supermarket jobs from Aussies.

Instead, the service is moving store employees away from the limelight, and transferring them to work behind the scenes.

"All that's happened is that it’s dispersed roles from the front of the store into other areas of the store," said Mr Mortimer.

The creation of these new "behind the scenes" departments is keeping some staffers out of public sight, so while customers might see fewer cashiers working in a store, the job numbers are actually stable.

"Those roles that appear to have vanished have moved to deli, produce, and into new roles like online personal shoppers that we never had 10 years ago," he added.

In fact, contrary to what many shoppers believe, there was actually an increase in supermarket employment in recent years.

According to Coles' Annual Reports, the company employed over 118,000 team members in 2020, and the number grew to 120,000 team members the year after.

Similarly, Woolworths remains one of the largest private employers in Australia, with employee numbers steadily increasing over the last five years to over 210,000 team members.

As part of their commitment to providing customers with safer and more convenient ways to complete their shop, especially throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, supermarkets all over the country rolled out self-serve checkout counters.

Coles invested heavily into the service, and is even said to be launching a range of new options to help customers check out even more quickly, including their popular belted self-checkouts and packing benches.

"The investment in new technology for the service area means we can have more checkouts open, providing customers with space, less congestion, reduced queuing and frees up team members to interact with our customers, providing guidance and assistance to the level they require," said a spokesperson for the store.

And now that more and more Aussies are opting to shop online instead of in-store, supermarkets are also upscaling their online infrastructures and capabilities. Meaning, they're needing more people to work behind the scenes.

What do you think, members?

Do you think a number of jobs in Coles and Woolies are being replaced by machines? Or do you believe the number of jobs is staying stable?

Reactions: Sierra040 and Ricci
Sponsored
Expert weighs in on the question: Are self-serve checkouts taking jobs away from hard-working Aussies?

Ever since supermarket giants such as Coles and Woolworths introduced self-serve checkout technology in their Australian stores a few years ago, a number of customers have speculated that this new feature came at the cost of supermarket jobs.

Many shoppers debated the idea on social media, with plenty of them saying they refuse to use self-serve checkouts because they are "reducing the number of jobs".

But is this true?

0OHKM1tFR7v7IRWrNqZE6CnHDnsxVF6t3s-nvcMgzS4bLWqHJQnFNUpT7I-7WU6Q1NLGqf03CHHU50Mu0a2G63Qw6xjGjlJoTFEjFJnB0HbLRZjzhet_3H2tHdJDzGc5zdWcPuc2

Many customers questioned the effect of self-serve checkout on staff numbers. Credit: Getty Images.
According to Professor Gary Mortimer, professor of Consumer Marketing at QUT, self-serve checkouts are not taking away supermarket jobs from Aussies.

Instead, the service is moving store employees away from the limelight, and transferring them to work behind the scenes.

"All that's happened is that it’s dispersed roles from the front of the store into other areas of the store," said Mr Mortimer.

The creation of these new "behind the scenes" departments is keeping some staffers out of public sight, so while customers might see fewer cashiers working in a store, the job numbers are actually stable.

"Those roles that appear to have vanished have moved to deli, produce, and into new roles like online personal shoppers that we never had 10 years ago," he added.

In fact, contrary to what many shoppers believe, there was actually an increase in supermarket employment in recent years.

According to Coles' Annual Reports, the company employed over 118,000 team members in 2020, and the number grew to 120,000 team members the year after.

Similarly, Woolworths remains one of the largest private employers in Australia, with employee numbers steadily increasing over the last five years to over 210,000 team members.

As part of their commitment to providing customers with safer and more convenient ways to complete their shop, especially throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, supermarkets all over the country rolled out self-serve checkout counters.

Coles invested heavily into the service, and is even said to be launching a range of new options to help customers check out even more quickly, including their popular belted self-checkouts and packing benches.

"The investment in new technology for the service area means we can have more checkouts open, providing customers with space, less congestion, reduced queuing and frees up team members to interact with our customers, providing guidance and assistance to the level they require," said a spokesperson for the store.

And now that more and more Aussies are opting to shop online instead of in-store, supermarkets are also upscaling their online infrastructures and capabilities. Meaning, they're needing more people to work behind the scenes.

Do you think a number of jobs in Coles and Woolies are being replaced by machines? Or do you believe the number of jobs is staying stable?
Of course there would have been increased business - natural increase in population would account for that. Therefore increased employment Overall. However, when I see customers self checking out surely that has to mean less paid check out operators. More employment overall maybe, but less on checkouts.

It doesn't matter if these stores are increasing their staffing levels if the new team members are all out of sight. I do not enjoy trekking round the store looking for someone to help me. We need more people out the front of the store, available for customer interactions. After all, if it wasn't for us being in the store no one there would have a job.

But is this true?

It was nothing to do with Covid - it was to do with profit! I may be wrong but I think self serve came first.

I still believe that younger school aged kids are the losers here. And this started way before Covid as Dicky just posted. Now there is talk of removing all cash registers from stores like K-mart. I don't like them at all. They are asking me to do their job for them and I still pay the same price for the products.

But is this true?

This response must be from someone living in another world. If this was true why haven't the big players completely eliminated check out staff, other than accommodating those who must receive this service. Ask the chains how much money is lost by allowing customers to be honest. Such chains make decisions because it improves their bottom line. If they could automate the whole service they would. Go to their head office and witness how they have embraced technology at the expense of people. Staff are costly for all the reasons you know or don't know. Ask the tough questions if you want answers. One final point - what is the ratio of staff to each outlet and what is the average employee cost adjusted for inflation compared to say 10/20 years ago. Ensure they're comparing the same apple and not different apples which as are aware have different values. Regards Ron

I went to Big W yesterday at a store that is normally way out of my way, accessible only by taxi for me. I didn't see a single staff member on the floor and when I went to the manned check-out there was noone, so I stood and waited till a staff member reluctantly came and served me. Not a good look Big W (Woolies). :(

• Sad
Reactions: loraines and Ricci

But is this true?

this is utter rubbish i have been going to the same store for over 20 years and i have spoken to senior staff member and have been told that the share holders want more money and to reduce staff ....and that a lot of stafff have had their hours cut ,,,,,,,,,i believe this as the changes i have seen over the years is unbeliavable ,,,,plus i also have family members that work at these stores ........ who have been told they will have their hours cut as they did not want to have to put staff off .............so this statement above is pure rot

I don’t believe it either! These mostly young people have been doing these jobs for a long time - as well as a first job or student part time to pay for school fees and learning materials. Don’t blame shareholders either!

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Many years ago when Coles/Myer owned stores like Officeworks I went to work there as Customer Relations Manager, responsible for the front of store. Ensuring checkouts were manned and clean, rosters were equitable, staff were fully trained, all takings balanced at the end of the day and that the customer generally had a pleasant experience. I also dealt with customer complaints, returns etc. One of the first things Wesfarmers did on their takeover was to do away with my job. I had to switch to being a roving manager with no particular area of responsibility Suddenly Customer Service wasn't a big (or little) priority, as overheard from the then new divisional managing director "we buy sh*t, we sell sh*t and we f**k it up in the middle". Needless to say I left soon after as the tone of the operation changed dramatically, suddenly no-one really cared any more, it was just a job to earn money to pay the bills, no pride whatsoever.:(