Expert reveals the ‘gross’ thing most dog owners NEED to resist doing

Most fur parents have an undying love for their pet (or pets) and most even consider them as their family. It’s totally normal to develop a deep emotional connection with our pets as they fill a huge part of our lives. And naturally, we may want to express how much we love them the way we typically do with humans – with plenty of hugs and kisses!

But maybe it’s time to show affection in other ways as one professional debunks whether it’s actually okay to kiss your beloved pooch.

One user asked: “My partner loves getting up close and personal with our dog. He will give it kisses on the nose and even lets it lick his face.”

“I always tell him off about it and say he can’t kiss me because I know he’s been kissing the dog. He tells me there’s nothing wrong with it, but I believe it’s just about the same as licking a public toilet seat. What kind of gross diseases could my partner be exposing himself to?”

ZJVCjxK_sxp1ECcG9QAafNRK-BTCYDJ27Kas8A7KEXhmphHVCp7ZHmBXb9OKdpn05nY9Kn84unUelGaWyn6-MFi0YzYMu2Yk6ZB7D2GPL5Bl-VhT9V424TxOX8ueOtAEm8DJB1Xeti7KJV3V4w

Image Credit: Dog Discoveries

The answer? Well… the truth is that our best of friends are carriers of various germs and diseases. Dogs’ mouths being cleaner than humans is a popular misconception. They sometimes eat their own sick, random garbage in the park, and even lick their bottoms clean!

So, even if you swear up and down that you keep your fur baby as clean as possible, there’s still a risk for transmission of diseases, pathogens, and germs. Although the chances of getting seriously sick are low, those with a compromised immune system pose a larger risk of acquiring the nasties.

Have you heard of ‘Zoonoses’ and ‘Zoonotic’? Zoonoses refer to animal diseases that can be passed on to humans while Zoonotic is how experts describe animal pathogens that can cause diseases. Think of a pathogen as an organism and disease as the product of the organism.

Your pooch can pass diseases (or Zoonoses) on to you directly via licking, biting, and scratching or indirectly by carrying other infectious critters such as fleas and ticks. They may also shed diseases through faeces.

“Zoonotic skin diseases including ringworms, caused by the fungus Microsporum canis and scabies, caused by the mite ‘Sarcoptes scabiei’, ‘Cheyletiella’ mites, and harvest mites (Trombicula species) are transmitted relatively easily to people through direct physical contact.” says veterinarians Krista Williams and Ernest Ward.

And yes, Zoonotic pathogens in your dog’s mouth are typically harmless but as always, there are exceptions. These include bacteria and parasites, such as: Salmonella, Pasteurella, Campylobacter, Cryptosporidium, Leptospira, Giardia, ringworm, and hookworm.

YU2QDWtbxNWeddJDj1D3CA_yPKH0iRkgJXswXwgBKBP6F39eO78sqZYPRCm4lXYx0LjCD4jE5962nOx35mEY98rhZgOCD1TVyeBPn8UebRTMdV77VEbcBo3xhfTZZLr18IpkbGlTpvNF4NQjcA

Zoonotic diseases. Image Credit: CDC

Unfortunately, you’re most likely to contract these through kissing or from direct contact with infected faeces, which may happen during cuddling – so, if you’re sharing a bed with your pet, then it’s time to switch things up a bit.

“I’ve got some bad news for everyone out there that shares a bed with their pet pooch. Stop it. I always tell my patients to think twice before letting their dog onto their bed, as they may be spreading these pathogens onto their sheets.” warned Dr Turner.

One common pathogen that is passed on to humans from their dogs is worms. Symptoms may vary but they include weight loss, fatigue, diarrhoea, and abdominal pain. If you start feeling any of the symptoms, it’s best to consult with a doctor immediately.

So, what can we pet owners do to reduce the chances of contracting a disease from our pups? Simple hygiene will drastically reduce, if not eliminate, the risk entirely. After a cuddle session with your pet, keep the following precautions in mind:

1. Wash all the parts of your body that made contact with your pet thoroughly with warm, soapy water.

2. Resist the urge to spoil your pet with kisses. But if you do, make sure to wash your mouth immediately after.

3. Wear gloves when cleaning up after your pet! But still, wash your hands immediately before touching anything else (especially before eating). Don’t forget to dispose of all waste materials properly and safely, folks!

66HMH4MoRz8Y8bCxOgjg4PTwItQiMnC_YGxaZzxvq6VbH4FO9G7cYtWQI61ebH7wcwJZn5S11lymvs-svPtXTr9DwZ2t0N5KAlx7AQXHfaZgp9aQkF1e0rX84audmZTUGe1eOOk3_YTuV75EUg

Image Credit: Healthline

4. Stay on top of your pet’s health by using flea and tick control products on a routine basis, administering worming treatments periodically, and bathing your dog regularly. Keep their toys, bedding, etc clean as well!

5. And of course, no matter how tempting it is, try to reduce kissing your pets, sleeping with them, and letting them lick you. We know it can be challenging but remember that your health should always come first!

Are you guilty of showering your dogs with kisses and cuddles? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Want to know more about the hidden dangers of giving your pets a smooch? Watch the video below:

Video Credit: BRIGHT SIDE

Sponsored
Yes I am guilty of letting my little dog sleep with me every night. I don't kiss my dog or let him lick me on my face or hands, but I am mindful of things such as ringworms and fleas and I medicate him against them. I have been taking combantrim or vermox to keep myself from getting worms hoping this would be enough to avoid them.

Reactions: Tervueren and Ricci
I love my dogs to bits but have always said that my face is just that, MINE and not to be shared. I don't let them sleep on the bed but occasionally I wake up and find them there! I keep them well dosed up to avoid thing like fleas and worms of all descriptions, they are up to date with all their vaccinations and being Pomeranians they are bathed and groomed on a regular basis. I think I do everything a responsible pet owner should, for their good as well as my own, but am under no illusions that they and I could get sick unintentionally.:)

Advance apologies if I upset anyone by speaking my mind here but we seriously need to stop taking on board every 'expert' s alarmist opinion on every subject. Good hygiene is important but we do not have to, and we should not, live in antiseptic bubbles. It's a proven fact that sterile environments are just as dangerous in a different way - think of hospital bugs like staphylococcus.
My extended family has for decades been very involved with animals, including wildlife, probably more than many people. There is no more risk to our health than working in just about any factory, shopping centre, hospital or germ laden office.
People have slept with animals for centuries without ill effects. In some countries sleeping with animals is done for the warmth. Those cultures often have far less health problems too. Common sense and general good hygienic practices are sufficient in 99% of circumstances ...... but, then again, I remember being horrified at the beginning of the pandemic to discover how many people didn't wash their hands regularly 😑

Advance apologies if I upset anyone by speaking my mind here but we seriously need to stop taking on board every 'expert' s alarmist opinion on every subject. Good hygiene is important but we do not have to, and we should not, live in antiseptic bubbles. It's a proven fact that sterile environments are just as dangerous in a different way - think of hospital bugs like staphylococcus.
My extended family has for decades been very involved with animals, including wildlife, probably more than many people. There is no more risk to our health than working in just about any factory, shopping centre, hospital or germ laden office.
People have slept with animals for centuries without ill effects. In some countries sleeping with animals is done for the warmth. Those cultures often have far less health problems too. Common sense and general good hygienic practices are sufficient in 99% of circumstances ...... but, then again, I remember being horrified at the beginning of the pandemic to discover how many people didn't wash their hands regularly 😑
I so agree. i have no family, live on my own, and at 77 yrs old i love my dogs more than life itself, these little dogs have given me more love than any human is capable of, i will never, i repeat never stop kissing and loving these little kids of mine. i recently lost one of my doggies, and i cry every single day over her passing, i had to make the terrible decision to have her put to sleep, and i have to live with that every day.
I dont care what "germs" they say my dogs have, i will kiss them and love them until the day they pass and thats a fact. The little black and tan doggie is the one who just passed at Easter this year.

Attachments

• doggies at Frans 22.7.20 no 2.jpg
    doggies at Frans 22.7.20 no 2.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 0
Absolutely! Society is getting so pedantic about hygiene and germ phobia yet the 'experts' are scratching their heads and baffled by the increase in allergies and autoimmune problems. Duh, let kids get out and get dirty. Stop 'sterilizing them.

I am a clean freak, I actually have OCD when it comes to cleaning, but have had dogs all my life, I don't let them lick my face, but I do let them sleep on the beds, if you keep them clean and treat them regularly, you have nothing to worry about.