Expensive mistake? People are calling out a stylist's toilet cleaning hack

You’ve probably heard of those hanging toilet rim ‘cleaner’ blocks – for a good reason. For some, they make cleaning toilets a breeze!

The blocks come with a built-in hook that allows you to hang them over the rim of the toilet bowl.

Whenever the toilet is flushed after use, the cascading water washes over the product, which contains chemicals that clean and freshen as they go down the drain.

The fact that you don’t have to bend and clean as often sounds like a blessing for most of us, and that’s what probably attracted stylist Liz Amaya to them in the first place.

In a recent Instagram post, Liz was enthusiastic about sharing her hack.

‘Did you know this?!’ she wrote in the post's caption. ‘Simply turn (the cleaning blocks) around, and the hook will catch and stay in place.’

The short video shows Liz first positioning the blocks as popularly done, a.k.a hooking them over the edge of the toilet bowl.

Screenshot_7.png
Stylist Liz Amaya shared a toilet rim cleaning block hack on Instagram where the item is hooked under toilets’ seats. Image Credit: Instagram/@liz.amaya.style

Next, however, Liz demonstrates a different way of using the rim cleaning blocks, hooking them under the lid. This frees up the rim for the toilet seat to be let down and provides a better position for the blocks to come in contact with water released when flushing.

The post has had 39,000 views as of writing.

The same hack was the subject of a viral TikTok in 2021, which had people amazed that they were using the toilet cleaning products incorrectly all along — something other users responded with as well in Liz’s post.

‘Shut up,’ one user reacted. ‘I’ve been lied to all my life.’

‘What a great hack!’ another said, as someone else shared, ‘Life hack indeed.’

And a fourth added: ‘No way! This is gold.’

But another theme from the commenters was regret, because for some, trying the hack ended with expensive consequences.

‘I did this once, and after a few flushes, it fell off, went down… and blocked the toilet,’ one user revealed. ‘Never again!’

‘I’ve flushed so many doing it (this) way! They just fall out… I’m waiting for our system to block!’ a second complained.

Another admitted: ‘I love this, but the kids flushed it and told no one. (It) blocked the drains.’

‘I did know (this hack), and (now I) also know how expensive it is to have the toilet removed to retrieve it when it falls down,’ added a fourth commenter. ‘I use a blue loo thing in the cistern or one of the sticky gel ones inside. (The) plumber says he makes a fortune pulling toilets out because of these plastic things.’

Screenshot_3.png
Toilet cleaning blocks are usually hooked over toilet seats. Image Credit: Instagram/@liz.amaya.style

‘This doesn’t work for all toilets. Mine flush if I hang it that way,’ one woman shared.

Another agreed and added: ‘Tried this, it didn’t hold.’

A handful of others also said that the toilet cleaning blocks are bad for the environment, just as another commenter offered an eco-friendly alternative.

‘Just cut fresh lemon and lime (and then) put it in a little bag in (the) cistern for a clean, fresh-smelling toilet,’ they said.

Considering plumbers’ services can cost upwards of $100 hourly in some cases, a few lemons and limes don’t sound too bad… Kidding!

If anything, the reactions from Liz’s ‘hack’ post teach us that not all tips meant to help actually do, so it would be wise to conduct some research of your own whenever the next big craze people are in a frenzy about hits the internet.

Be sure to check the product packaging for further details and proper usage as well.

Key Takeaways
  • A stylist shared that a toilet cleaner can be inserted into the rim of toilets as opposed to simply hanging it over the rim in a recent Instagram post.
  • Some people have had issues trying this hack, sometimes resulting in plumbing issues and an expensive repair bill.
  • Not everyone had a negative experience, and some people were amazed to discover the hack.
  • It's important to read the information that comes with the product and use caution when trying popular internet tips.
Speaking of toilet-related internet trends, you might want to read about one company’s, er, bold suggestion to curb the use of single-use toilet paper.

You could also find out which commonly used cleaner isn’t the best solution for your toilet seat stains!

So, what do you think about this hack? What has your experience been if you use toilet cleaning products such as this? Do you also hang them under the rim instead of over?

Let us know in the comments, and feel free to share any other clever ways to keep toilets squeaky clean!

Source: Instagram/@liz.amaya.style

Sponsored
You’ve probably heard of those hanging toilet rim ‘cleaner’ blocks – for a good reason. For some, they make cleaning toilets a breeze!

The blocks come with a built-in hook that allows you to hang them over the rim of the toilet bowl.

Whenever the toilet is flushed after use, the cascading water washes over the product, which contains chemicals that clean and freshen as they go down the drain.

The fact that you don’t have to bend and clean as often sounds like a blessing for most of us, and that’s what probably attracted stylist Liz Amaya to them in the first place.

‘Did you know this?!’ she wrote in the post's caption. ‘Simply turn (the cleaning blocks) around, and the hook will catch and stay in place.’

The short video shows Liz first positioning the blocks as popularly done, a.k.a hooking them over the edge of the toilet bowl.

Stylist Liz Amaya shared a toilet rim cleaning block hack on Instagram where the item is hooked under toilets’ seats. Image Credit: Instagram/@liz.amaya.style

Next, however, Liz demonstrates a different way of using the rim cleaning blocks, hooking them under the lid. This frees up the rim for the toilet seat to be let down and provides a better position for the blocks to come in contact with water released when flushing.

The same hack was the subject of a viral TikTok in 2021, which had people amazed that they were using the toilet cleaning products incorrectly all along — something other users responded with as well in Liz’s post.

But another theme from the commenters was regret, because for some, trying the hack ended with expensive consequences.

‘I did this once, and after a few flushes, it fell off, went down… and blocked the toilet,’ one user revealed. ‘Never again!’

‘I’ve flushed so many doing it (this) way! They just fall out… I’m waiting for our system to block!’ a second complained.

Another admitted: ‘I love this, but the kids flushed it and told no one. (It) blocked the drains.’

‘I did know (this hack), and (now I) also know how expensive it is to have the toilet removed to retrieve it when it falls down,’ added a fourth commenter. ‘I use a blue loo thing in the cistern or one of the sticky gel ones inside. (The) plumber says he makes a fortune pulling toilets out because of these plastic things.’

Toilet cleaning blocks are usually hooked over toilet seats. Image Credit: Instagram/@liz.amaya.style

‘This doesn’t work for all toilets. Mine flush if I hang it that way,’ one woman shared.

A handful of others also said that the toilet cleaning blocks are bad for the environment, just as another commenter offered an eco-friendly alternative.

‘Just cut fresh lemon and lime (and then) put it in a little bag in (the) cistern for a clean, fresh-smelling toilet,’ they said.

Considering plumbers’ services can cost upwards of $100 hourly in some cases, a few lemons and limes don’t sound too bad… Kidding!

If anything, the reactions from Liz’s ‘hack’ post teach us that not all tips meant to help actually do, so it would be wise to conduct some research of your own whenever the next big craze people are in a frenzy about hits the internet.

Be sure to check the product packaging for further details and proper usage as well.

Key Takeaways

A stylist shared that a toilet cleaner can be inserted into the rim of toilets as opposed to simply hanging it over the rim in a recent Instagram post.

Some people have had issues trying this hack, sometimes resulting in plumbing issues and an expensive repair bill.

Not everyone had a negative experience, and some people were amazed to discover the hack.

It's important to read the information that comes with the product and use caution when trying popular internet tips.

Speaking of toilet-related internet trends, you might want to read about one company’s, er, bold suggestion to curb the use of single-use toilet paper.

You could also find out which commonly used cleaner isn’t the best solution for your toilet seat stains!

So, what do you think about this hack? What has your experience been if you use toilet cleaning products such as this? Do you also hang them under the rim instead of over?

Let us know in the comments, and feeWhat

Key Takeaways

A stylist shared that a toilet cleaner can be inserted into the rim of toilets as opposed to simply hanging it over the rim in a recent Instagram post.
Some people have had issues trying this hack, sometimes resulting in plumbing issues and an expensive repair bill.
Not everyone had a negative experience, and some people were amazed to discover the hack.
It's important to read the information that comes with the product and use caution when trying popular internet tips.

You could also find out which com

View attachment 14294

View attachment 14295

Key Takeaways

• A stylist shared that a toilet cleaner can be inserted into the rim of toilets as opposed to simply hanging it over the rim in a recent Instagram post.
  • Some people have had issues trying this hack, sometimes resulting in plumbing issues and an expensive repair bill.
  • Not everyone had a negative experience, and some people were amazed to discover the hack.
  • It's important to read the information that comes with the product and use caution when trying popular internet tips.

Let us know in the comments, and feel free to share any other clever ways to keep toilets squeaky clean!

Source:

monly used cleaner isn’t the best solution for your toilet seat stains!

l free to share any other clever ways to keep toilets squeaky clean!

I use to use one similar to this and was a single large tablet. You needed to put in a new tablet inside the plastic holder. It just scented the bowl and one always had to clean the toilet bowl and remove this to clean. I stopped using this many years ago now.

I would like to know how we recycle toilet paper so it doesn't become single use as suggested by a company in the main article.

( Washing toilet paper & using it again was the definition of a miser when l was at primary school. )