Expecting mum's 'disappointed' reaction to gender reveal sparks heated debate on social media

These days, more and more parents are opting for big, over-the-top gender reveals.

For those of you who are not familiar with the concept, a gender reveal is when the parents find out the sex of their baby in a fun and creative way. It’s often done at a party with friends and family, and there are usually pink or blue balloons, confetti, and cake involved.

While many expecting parents are full of joy after finding out the sex of the babies they are carrying, one mum felt emotional after it was revealed to her that she was pregnant with another baby boy.

Nicole Shamlin has taken to TikTok to share a video of herself and her partner celebrating during a gender reveal party

Credit: TikTok/@nicoleshamlin

"What everyone saw at our gender reveal," Nicole writes over the clip that shows the excited couple cheering when the confetti gun shoots blue confetti, signalling that the couple is pregnant with a baby boy.

However, the video immediately cuts to the pregnant woman crying in bed.

Nicole writes over the footage of her mourning: "Me later that night grieving the fact that I'm not getting my baby girl just yet. How can I love another boy? Will I be replacing my first son? How can I love two sons?"

Additionally, the mum also captioned the post with: "Gender disappointment is real. I only felt that way for a day. Now we are beyond excited and thankful."

While the video was flooded with support from other users, several people did not approve of how Nicole reacted when she learned of her baby's gender.

One user wrote: "I’m sure there are plenty of mamas who would take that boy off your hands!"

"This is sad. I went through years of IVF. I was just thankful to have one live child. Healthy is what you should care about not the sex," another said.

The mum replied to this comment, writing: "Let's not assume someone's infertility journey, because I have had a miscarriage, so you shouldn't be trying to invalidate my feelings. And guess what? I'm allowed to feel however I want and nobody can say anything about it because you're not me."

8PhIEtoo7Bf3DoVEqkJ--H7z5bYQa1HtdqGEUfSTloEMFCDnRXfeseGabsUHiv9Cu0Z_lVxmyTYDioFgoUEUjKMdmhLg9NxOOpsM4Sw1UpuKfljQ-pH0wDLGsUFF_ug_dLKrNrs6DqMG0Ehc3g

A pregnant woman faced backlash on social media after she reacted negatively to the gender of the baby she’s carrying. Credit: TikTok/@nicoleshamlin.

Others defended the mum, pointing out that pregnant women can get extra emotional during pregnancy due to fluctuating hormone levels.

One woman shared: "I cried at my ultrasound when I found out he was a boy. I feel awful now because he’s amazing of course but [pregnancy] hormones are crazy. It will be OK."

"You’re not alone, I was a sobbing mess for hours… I promise it’ll be okay," another shared.

A third chimed in: "I love how you show the real truth behind stuff that many people go [through]."

"I've just found out last night I'm having my third boy, I know this feeling," another added.

And another wrote: "I had 2 boys and thought I’d never have a girl. Just had my 3rd baby which was a girl 3 months ago. It’s not off the table yet mama,"

In a separate video, Nicole explained her thoughts on "gender disappointment", claiming that reacting negatively and wallowing in self-pity over this momentous life event is valid.

She says in the clip: "Your feelings are valid."

"And just because you have gender disappointment, doesn't mean you're gonna love that child any less."

"When finding out the gender you may have that expectation of getting your girl or getting your boy and when you don't get that it's okay to grieve that loss."

The mum's reaction is not the first time a parent has gone viral after reacting negatively during a gender reveal party.

We previously shared an article where a soon-to-be-father-of-three stormed out of his baby's gender reveal party, prompting social media users to call him out.

Since we're on the topic of gender reveal parties, what do you think about this event? Do you think it's necessary to publicise the expecting parents' reaction to their baby's sex or should parents wait until they’ve processed the information privately before announcing the gender of their baby to the public? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Do people actually believe in "gender reveal" rubbish??? Surely hocus-pocus is just a bit of fun??? I cannot believe peoples' mentality at times!!!

Reactions: Jennylolo and Ricci
Firstly shame on the mother for posting the video, imagine if her son sees it when he was older.
I had girl, boy, boy then after 4 girls in a row and was hoping for a boy but when I found out it was another girl I was over the moon because of the instant love I had for the baby growing in me

Then I had boy,girl,boy and lastly girl
8 girls and 5 boys

Gender reveals are fun but my kids are over it and have opted for the old fashion way, A surprise when they give birth

Firstly shame on the mother for posting the video, imagine if her son sees it when he was older.
I had girl, boy, boy then after 4 girls in a row and was hoping for a boy but when I found out it was another girl I was over the moon because of the instant love I had for the baby growing in me

Then I had boy,girl,boy and lastly girl
8 girls and 5 boys

Gender reveals are fun but my kids are over it and have opted for the old fashion way, A surprise when they give birth
I left out one boy , after the 5 girls in a row it was 2 boys ,girl, boy ,girl

I preferred not to know the gender until the birth of my babies, but that is a personal choice. However I don't understand gender reveal parties and especially the publishing of these private matters on social media.

These days, more and more parents are opting for big, over-the-top gender reveals.

For those of you who are not familiar with the concept, a gender reveal is when the parents find out the sex of their baby in a fun and creative way. It’s often done at a party with friends and family, and there are usually pink or blue balloons, confetti, and cake involved.

While many expecting parents are full of joy after finding out the sex of the babies they are carrying, one mum felt emotional after it was revealed to her that she was pregnant with another baby boy.

Nicole Shamlin has taken to TikTok to share a video of herself and her partner celebrating during a gender reveal party

"What everyone saw at our gender reveal," Nicole writes over the clip that shows the excited couple cheering when the confetti gun shoots blue confetti, signalling that the couple is pregnant with a baby boy.

Nicole writes over the footage of her mourning: "Me later that night grieving the fact that I'm not getting my baby girl just yet. How can I love another boy? Will I be replacing my first son? How can I love two sons?"

Additionally, the mum also captioned the post with: "Gender disappointment is real. I only felt that way for a day. Now we are beyond excited and thankful."

While the video was flooded with support from other users, several people did not approve of how Nicole reacted when she learned of her baby's gender.

One user wrote: "I’m sure there are plenty of mamas who would take that boy off your hands!"

"This is sad. I went through years of IVF. I was just thankful to have one live child. Healthy is what you should care about not the sex," another said.

The mum replied to this comment, writing: "Let's not assume someone's infertility journey, because I have had a miscarriage, so you shouldn't be trying to invalidate my feelings. And guess what? I'm allowed to feel however I want and nobody can say anything about it because you're not me."

8PhIEtoo7Bf3DoVEqkJ--H7z5bYQa1HtdqGEUfSTloEMFCDnRXfeseGabsUHiv9Cu0Z_lVxmyTYDioFgoUEUjKMdmhLg9NxOOpsM4Sw1UpuKfljQ-pH0wDLGsUFF_ug_dLKrNrs6DqMG0Ehc3g

A pregnant woman faced backlash on social media after she reacted negatively to the gender of the baby she’s carrying. Credit: TikTok/@nicoleshamlin.

Others defended the mum, pointing out that pregnant women can get extra emotional during pregnancy due to fluctuating hormone levels.

One woman shared: "I cried at my ultrasound when I found out he was a boy. I feel awful now because he’s amazing of course but [pregnancy] hormones are crazy. It will be OK."

"You’re not alone, I was a sobbing mess for hours… I promise it’ll be okay," another shared.

A third chimed in: "I love how you show the real truth behind stuff that many people go [through]."

"I've just found out last night I'm having my third boy, I know this feeling," another added.

And another wrote: "I had 2 boys and thought I’d never have a girl. Just had my 3rd baby which was a girl 3 months ago. It’s not off the table yet mama,"

In a separate video, Nicole explained her thoughts on "gender disappointment", claiming that reacting negatively and wallowing in self-pity over this momentous life event is valid.

"And just because you have gender disappointment, doesn't mean you're gonna love that child any less."

"When finding out the gender you may have that expectation of getting your girl or getting your boy and when you don't get that it's okay to grieve that loss."

The mum's reaction is not the first time a parent has gone viral after reacting negatively during a gender reveal party.

We previously shared an article where a soon-to-be-father-of-three stormed out of his baby's gender reveal party, prompting social media users to call him out.

Since we're on the topic of gender reveal parties, what do you think about this event? Do you think it's necessary to publicise the expecting parents' reaction to their baby's sex or should parents wait until they’ve processed the information privately before announcing the gender of their baby to the public? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

I wonder what would happen if you young ones had to wait until the birth to find out the gender, like us oldies had to do. It was a guessing game for months until the doctor said it's a boy/ girl. Some mums still choose not to know before.

I would have been exactly the same, I am an old bloke now with NO children because no-one could guarantee me twin girls so I chose to have none instead. Bet I get some flak for this but hey, it was my choice, I am a boy and I know what a little shit I was!.

With my first we were convinced I was having a girl, imagine our surprise when the doctor said it was a boy. Similarly the second was thought to be a boy yet turned out to be a girl. I am so grateful that I didn't find out the gender of my bubs beforehand as the level of surprise was way up there and made the period of waiting all worthwhile. :)

My ex sister-in-law was married to a gorgeous guy who was a crane driver in heavy industry 60 plus years ago in London. He was a big gentle man and my sister in law was small but not petite. They had four boys (all their dad's size!) and she said she would like a little girl so they tried again and the baby was a boy. In their house mother's word was law and she worked hard for her boys and they all loved her devotedly in return. All six of them (dad and five sons) would do anything she asked and she loved them all unreservedly. Gender of children doesn't matter. It is the love and affection they share that counts.

If she didn't want negative feedback, she should have waited a few days, settled down, realised how she truly feels and then constructed the clip accordingly. Too late to say all is good after the crying scene. How will her second son feel if he ever sees her emotional outburst? Will he always wonder if he is unloved and unwanted....or at least loved as much as his older brother and especially later, potentially his younger sister?

Why do young and not-so-young people feel they must share every single emotion, moment by moment, with the world before they have processed and realised how they really feel? Keep your private life and feelings private until you have something definite to share....or just don't share with everyone. Do you really need and crave that much attention in your life? Be careful what you ask for!

OMG😲all this social media rubbish. Why put that online. What’s all this look at me behaviour? You put it out there, you have to take the good with the bad. I feel sorry for the children of these needy parents. Hopefully they don’t see these posts later in life as it will affect their sense of self in one way or another😩

She has every right to feel "disappointed" - we don't control our emotions well, especially when pregnant. She should not, however, have shared it on social media for the child to possibly come across later in life. It could be very damaging to him if he came across it at a vulnerable point in his life.
I would have loved to have a second girl, but ended up with just the one and 3 boys, not disappointed but grateful they were healthy.

I am sure my Grandma didn't worry about the sex of each child in her 10 pregnancies (5 boys & 5 girls) or my aunty who had 6 boys. We had 4 lovely girls & l wouldn't have it any other way. We didn't want to know the sex before they were born. Strangely l knew the sex of each child before birth, knew when each daughter was pregnant before they announced it & further knew the sex of each child before the birth.

Reactions: Marj53 and Ricci
Thinking about the 'trend' for couples to have a gender reveal for all (interested or not) people reminds me of people l knew who every time they bought a new car ran around to relatives & friends gloating & showing off their new purchase. One of that same couple once yelled at me in the front yard on a visit wanting to know why they hadn't been informed about the new car, bought with my wife's inheritance from her mother's estate. Who's business is it anyway? Why do some people think the world should know about their good fortune, if that is what it is? Some folk text about the most trivial things in their daily lives. Is this due to boredom or a need for attention?

Reactions: Ricci