EXCLUSIVE: Meghan Markle phones Republican senators to lobby for paid parental leave, experts claim that she is attempting to forge a political career

EXCLUSIVE: Meghan Markle phones Republican senators to lobby for paid parental leave, experts claim that she is attempting to forge a political career
Meghan Markle has made an unprecedented move by a member of a royal family by contacting US politicians to lobby for paid parental leave.

Dn--dXrtTbwNuEvqMq9O7_nOoXKQ36iV8OZq1dtBiAJ1Toc-LyiJO_pqBVn1jxp9SVvIuh5Vp0T07eQ03G5IGLSHNv2XnldoB-l57YOVJmN2g-qT0JHkRDOuk62AJct93iU681I

Meghan Markle was reportedly reaching out to politicians to lobby for paid parental leave. Credit: Getty Images.
The Duchess notably phoned two Republican politicians in a bid to urge them to make paid parental leave mandatory in the US.

West Virginia senator Shelley Moore Capito revealed that she received a phone call from the estranged royal this week who pitched for paid family leave — currently one of the top issues in the US.

The senator also admitted that she was not expecting to speak to Markle upon answering the call from a blank caller ID.

Senator Capito told ABC News: “I’m in my car. I’m driving. It says caller ID blocked. Honestly … I thought it was Sen. Manchin. His calls come in blocked. And she goes ‘Sen. Capito?’ I said, ‘Yes.’ She said, ’This is Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex.”

Maine senator Susan Collins also revealed that she received a phone call from a blank caller ID, who later introduced herself as Markle, while she was at the gym.

Collins said: “Much to my surprise, she called me on my private line and she introduced herself as the Duchess of Sussex, which is kind of ironic."

“I was happy to talk with her, but I’m more interested in what the people of Maine are telling me about it.”

Last month, the estranged royal posted an open letter to Congress on the website PaidLeaveforAll.org urging policymakers to make paid family leave mandatory in the US.

The Duchess wrote: “I‘m not an elected official, and I’m not a politician. I am, like many, an engaged citizen and a parent. And because you and your congressional colleagues have a role in shaping family outcomes for generations to come, that’s why I’m writing to you at this deeply important time—as a mom—to advocate for paid leave."

It was also reported that Markle sent $US25 (around $30) cash to employees of charitable organisation Paid Leave for coffee.

Paid Leave Communications Director Neil Sroka tweeted: “The Duchess of Sussex (aka Meghan Markle) bought everyone at Paid Leave US a few cups of coffee while we’re working overtime to save paid leave.

“Unbelievably classy … and necessary.

“Truly honoured to know she has our backs in the fight to win paid leave for all.”

The Duchess, who revealed that she and Prince Harry have been "overwhelmed" by the birth of their second child Lilibet, also reached out to two Democrat politicians in Washington DC via letter, pitching the same advocacy.

In her letter, she addressed Democrats Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi, whom she urged to ensure new parents can have time off work with their babies.

She started the letter by telling the two Democrats that she was lucky enough to afford time off with Prince Harry after the birth of Lili in June.

She wrote: “Like any parents, we were overjoyed. Like many parents, we were overwhelmed."

“Like fewer parents, we weren’t confronted with the harsh reality of either spending those first few critical months with our baby or going back to work.

“We knew we could take her home, and in that vital (and sacred) stage, devote any and everything to our kids and to our family.

“We knew that by doing so we wouldn’t have to make impossible choices about childcare, work, and medical care that so many have to make every single day.

“No family should be faced with these decisions.”

Royal experts claimed that the move solidified speculations that Meghan is attempting to chase a political career.

gWrvY6e56H-k3aGJmpQHVT_tBFU2keyvO8vieLDL4hAlaflj_wypO1dFygTYiE_ruYmXlDJ8GN9_E3jmSETUbK3POu_FqPJuUQ8Y8VMc-M5HU15NzJYoliEmL9x84JCvl89fZQ8

The former Duke and Duchess of Sussex said that they were “overwhelmed” with the birth of their second child Lilibet. Credit: Angela Weiss/AFP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I want my privacy. I can’t do the Royal Family thing. I do want my American lifestyle back. I do want a career & influence though. I like being able to call myself the Duchess of Sussex. I will become the new American royalty by having a political influence. Everyone, look at ME!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Xe
I want my privacy. I can’t do the Royal Family thing. I do want my American lifestyle back. I do want a career & influence though. I like being able to call myself the Duchess of Sussex. I will become the new American royalty by having a political influence. Everyone, look at ME!!!!!
Exactly. I had respect for her when she chose to leave but now she is using the title, which makes no sense.