Exciting news! Australians to see a $230 bill reduction with major energy package finally approved

Bad news and more bad news… they seem to always come in waves these days, don’t they?

It's no secret that Australians everywhere have been feeling the pinch of ever-increasing energy bills - especially those relying on insufficient pension payments.

But fear not, SDC members – we've got some fantastic news to share with you all! We are pleased to let you know that there may be a little extra relief coming your way soon.

The government’s new legislation to help households and small businesses break free from unfair gas prices and the tightening grip of exorbitant energy bills has just passed parliament!

MPs and senators were called back to Canberra for a special session of parliament to debate the package and, after much toing and froing, it received the nod of approval from both the House and Senate.

Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 1.16.16 PM.png
Power bills are expected to be reduced by about $230 after a controversial package was passed in parliament. Credit: Pexels/cottonbro studio.

Thanks to the Senate support of the Greens, David Pocock, and the Jacqui Lambie Network, Australians are guaranteed to see a $230 bill reduction in the coming months!

On top of this, Queensland and NSW governments are enforcing a cap on coal for 12 months at $125 a tonne, while gas prices will be capped at $12 a gigajoule for another 12 months, which will translate to some generous power bill savings (the government says it will reduce power bills by about $230).

Aside from that, a total of $1.5 billion in additional economic support will be provided to a select group of small businesses and households.

This package has already gotten some mixed reviews from industry leaders, but it looks like it's full steam ahead to get this bill up and running.

Treasurer Jim Chalmers says this intervention needs to happen fast to prevent a 20 per cent increase in gas prices and a 36 per cent jump in electricity bills in the following financial year.

‘That’s why urgent action is needed. When we vote today, every member of this place will make a choice,’ he said.

‘To help Australians with rising energy bills - or to make it even harder for them. To save Australian jobs – or to surrender them. We choose to protect households and small businesses. We choose to defend our local industries. And we choose to save local jobs.’

Not only this but there's one final bonus – if you're a renter or a low-income household, you could also qualify for a ‘meaningful and substantial’ package in the budget that will assist you in making the switch away from gas and transition to low-cost electricity instead.

We think this package is great news and a huge win for all Australians! Let's just hope that it's implemented, regulated and policed properly in order to ensure that the package is delivered to the people who need it most.

We hope this helps with some of the pressures you’re currently facing!

Sponsored
So if you currently have solar panels on your roof and get a credit from your feed in tariff what relief am I going to get zip
I'm guessing if you pay anything for electricity or gas then you will still receive it, regardless how much your bill is. If by having your solar panels you don't pay an electricity bill then your all ready winning

I'm going to look at solar panels, my electricity bill has gone up by 30 % already.

Maybe the government need to give bigger incentives for solar panels.

The $230 off our bill is great but it's a temporary measure we need to look at long term solutions

Bad news and more bad news… they seem to always come in waves these days, don’t they?

It's no secret that Australians everywhere have been feeling the pinch of ever-increasing energy bills - especially those relying on insufficient pension payments.

But fear not, SDC members – we've got some fantastic news to share with you all! We are pleased to let you know that there may be a little extra relief coming your way soon.

The government’s new legislation to help households and small businesses break free from unfair gas prices and the tightening grip of exorbitant energy bills has just passed parliament!

MPs and senators were called back to Canberra for a special session of parliament to debate the package and, after much toing and froing, it received the nod of approval from both the House and Senate.

View attachment 10600
Power bills are expected to be reduced by about $230 after a controversial package was passed in parliament. Credit: Pexels/cottonbro studio.

Thanks to the Senate support of the Greens, David Pocock, and the Jacqui Lambie Network, Australians are guaranteed to see a $230 bill reduction in the coming months!

On top of this, Queensland and NSW governments are enforcing a cap on coal for 12 months at $125 a tonne, while gas prices will be capped at $12 a gigajoule for another 12 months, which will translate to some generous power bill savings (the government says it will reduce power bills by about $230).

Aside from that, a total of $1.5 billion in additional economic support will be provided to a select group of small businesses and households.

This package has already gotten some mixed reviews from industry leaders, but it looks like it's full steam ahead to get this bill up and running.

Treasurer Jim Chalmers says this intervention needs to happen fast to prevent a 20 per cent increase in gas prices and a 36 per cent jump in electricity bills in the following financial year.

‘That’s why urgent action is needed. When we vote today, every member of this place will make a choice,’ he said.

‘To help Australians with rising energy bills - or to make it even harder for them. To save Australian jobs – or to surrender them. We choose to protect households and small businesses. We choose to defend our local industries. And we choose to save local jobs.’

Not only this but there's one final bonus – if you're a renter or a low-income household, you could also qualify for a ‘meaningful and substantial’ package in the budget that will assist you in making the switch away from gas and transition to low-cost electricity instead.

We think this package is great news and a huge win for all Australians! Let's just hope that it's implemented, regulated and policed properly in order to ensure that the package is delivered to the people who need it most.

I wish the QLD Gov. would look at putting solar on the HC homes, well those that suit it and only for those who look after the properties, if the size or amount of solar is great enough for some feed back to the grid would that not benefit all in the long run with any returns from it given back to the department.... But I know intelligent ideas dont exist within government in any capacity

I'm going to look at solar panels, my electricity bill has gone up by 30 % already.

Maybe the government need to give bigger incentives for solar panels.

The $230 off our bill is great but it's a temporary measure we need to look at long term solutions
Try Origin, I got mine through them on a truly interest free loan and 25c/hr back to grid for the length of the loan. The 25c/hr actually put me in credit and I've been in credit ever since. I haven't had to pay a bill for over 4 years now and counting. :)

I might have missed something but how would renters benefit by changing from gas to electricity when the owners of the property would have to change it. Unless that other package for renters and low income earners has a clause that assists the landlords to do it?

So if you currently have solar panels on your roof and get a credit from your feed in tariff what relief am I going to get zip
Why should you ? Those who rent and can't get solar panels are paying that credit,

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 10600

This is great news...we may turn the air-conditioner on to celebrate 🌞🫠🤣

Everyone is getting the $230 off their electricity/ gas bill and there is a package as well for low income which would would include anyone on a centrelink payment
When the passing of the Bill was first announced I only heard relief for low income families and so thought of pensioners and those on welfare payments as being the recipients, I did not understand it to mean that everyone is getting an amount deducted from their electricity bill am I wrong in thinking this?

When the passing of the Bill was first announced I only heard relief for low income families and so thought of pensioners and those on welfare payments as being the recipients, I did not understand it to mean that everyone is getting an amount deducted from their electricity bill am I wrong in thinking this?
Everyone is getting it and low income people are getting extra

• Love
Reactions: Ricci and Gaena
I fear this is only a temporary measure, what happens after the rebate is given, won't the bills stay high. And I agree with Tipsy, if the Queensland Government would put solar panels on suitable properties that might help? But I fear there are too many problems in Queensland Housing for them to even think of this.:(

• Sad

View attachment 10600

I believe it, when I see it. Hope not another dodgy bonus like the work bonus. On one hand they give you a bonus and with the other they taking it away.

Reactions: DiMcg and Ricci
All households and low-income ($37,000 or less) earners, as well as certain small businesses (manufacturing), should be getting the $230 bonus.
With the phasing out of the use of gas, diesel, and petrol, everyone will eventually end up having to use either solar or electricity, however, the coal power stations are also closing soon as well.
There is already a plan to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars by 2027 in a bid to reach net zero emissions by 2050.
There is also a plan to ditch natural and LPG gas by 2045, and depending on which state you are in the bans for new gas connections commence from 2023, these gases will be replaced with green hydrogen. Transition to 100% hydrogen gas by 2045.
Gas stoves and gas appliances are not being phased out. Gas stoves will gradually transition away from CO2-emitting gases to green hydrogen over the next 25 years.

All households and low-income ($37,000 or less) earners, as well as certain small businesses (manufacturing), should be getting the $230 bonus.
With the phasing out of the use of gas, diesel, and petrol, everyone will eventually end up having to use either solar or electricity, however, the coal power stations are also closing soon as well.
There is already a plan to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars by 2027 in a bid to reach net zero emissions by 2050.
There is also a plan to ditch natural and LPG gas by 2045, and depending on which state you are in the bans for new gas connections commence from 2023, these gases will be replaced with green hydrogen. Transition to 100% hydrogen gas by 2045.
Gas stoves and gas appliances are not being phased out. Gas stoves will gradually transition away from CO2-emitting gases to green hydrogen over the next 25 years.
I take the $230, but I don't believe in the figure fudging BS, the government is producing.

• Love
Reactions: Bunny62 and Ricci