Ex-Tiffany & Co. employee reveals how to make tarnished jewellery shine again

Cleaning your jewellery can be daunting, especially if you’re unsure which method will keep them from getting damaged.

But this former employee at a jewellery shop shared his method of reviving your jewellery with a few simple items at home!

A former Tiffany & Co. worker named Hartt has shared tips for removing discolouration from your worn jewellery and getting it shining like new.

In his video online, he said he was a former employee of the renowned jewellery store:’ I was a salesman.’

photo (4).jpg
Hartt shared his method of making tarnished jewellery shine again. Credit: @hartboytray / TikTok

‘And this is how I polish my jewellery now if my sterling silver is tarnished,’ he said as he held his discoloured bracelet.

He added, ‘So you can see it's browning there.’

He placed his jewellery in a foil inside a glass bowl.

‘I put everything in [bicarb] soda...cover it [with] hot, boiling water,’ he explained.

‘Boom. It's nice, cause, you know, you could go to the store and do all this and take like a day to have it done, or just do it yourself.’

He used a spoon to mix the items and explained, ‘And then I just kind of move it around. There's a reaction.'

Hartt's video gained over 8.2 million views, 876,400 likes, and over 3,600 comments.

Fans took to the comments stress-testing the hack, and it seems to have held up pretty well.

One person commented, 'It's amazing how clear and spotless it makes it,'

Another added, 'Thank you so much for this! Works perfect!'

‘Former Ops assistant! I'm still shocked that people who buy the nicest jewellery are shocked to learn you actually have to take care of it,’ a third said.

Hartt replied, ‘The number of people on comments that threw away pieces because it looked "dirty" or tarnished, blows my mind!’

Sadly, not everyone succeeded, and one person's jewellery worsened after trying the tip.

They asked, 'I did this, and it tarnished even more…What do I do?'

Other commenters chimed in with their hacks and tips on how to get your jewellery looking new again.

One person wrote: 'OR...PUT A PIECE OF CHALK IN YOUR JEWELRY BOX, AND IT WILL NEVER TARNISH! I've done this for 15 years.'

Hartt responded, ‘YOU ARE KIDDING!! I gotta try that!! THANK YOU!!’

Another person added, 'I just use an eraser (like for a pencil) and rub it off.'

Hartt said, ‘You’re kidding!! That works??’ to which the commenter replied, ‘Yep give it a try.’

‘Toothpaste and an old toothbrush. Amazing for silver and doesn't hurt stones fyi (for your information),’ another commenter said.

He wrote back, ‘Most stones I would avoid if they are not as hard as diamond.'

‘Or just use wipes dedicated to jewellery or a liquid for jewellery cleaning. You can buy them online,’ another commented.

‘Unless you're stuck in no man's land without it and have a date,’ Hartt quipped.

You can watch the video here:

One of Hartt's followers, Jenise, put his tips to the test with her jewellery.

She went through the same routine and had a successful result as Hartt did.

Her caption in the video said, ‘Had to try this out for myself!’

If Hartt's tricks aren’t working for your jewellery, give Mrs Meyer's Dish Soap mixed with hydrogen peroxide a try, which was tested by another social media personality.

A mum from Western Australia recommended trying some oven cleaner.

Jewellery cleaning costs can range anywhere from $80—so playing a game of trial and error with these tricks could work in your favour and save you some cash in the long run.

An Aussie retail worker explains her method of cleaning common pantry staples in cleaning your silver jewellery in minutes! You can check the story here to learn more.

Key Takeaways

• A former Tiffany & Co. worker, Hartt, shared a video on social media showing his method for removing discolouration from worn jewellery.
  • He demonstrated his trick, which involves using a container, tin foil, bicarb soda, boiling water, and a spoon to bring his tarnished pieces back to a sparkle.
  • The video, which provides a step-by-step guide on polishing jewellery at home, has received more than 8.2 million views and over 876,400 likes.
  • Some viewers tried the trick successfully, while others shared their methods for keeping jewellery clean.
Have you tried this trick for cleaning your jewellery? Do you have other ways of cleaning jewellery? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Cleaning your jewellery can be daunting, especially if you’re unsure which method will keep them from getting damaged.

But this former employee at a jewellery shop shared his method of reviving your jewellery with a few simple items at home!

A former Tiffany & Co. worker named Hartt has shared tips for removing discolouration from your worn jewellery and getting it shining like new.

In his video online, he said he was a former employee of the renowned jewellery store:’ I was a salesman.’

View attachment 35366
Hartt shared his method of making tarnished jewellery shine again. Credit: @hartboytray / TikTok

‘And this is how I polish my jewellery now if my sterling silver is tarnished,’ he said as he held his discoloured bracelet.

‘I put everything in [bicarb] soda...cover it [with] hot, boiling water,’ he explained.

‘Boom. It's nice, cause, you know, you could go to the store and do all this and take like a day to have it done, or just do it yourself.’

He used a spoon to mix the items and explained, ‘And then I just kind of move it around. There's a reaction.'

Hartt's video gained over 8.2 million views, 876,400 likes, and over 3,600 comments.

Fans took to the comments stress-testing the hack, and it seems to have held up pretty well.

‘Former Ops assistant! I'm still shocked that people who buy the nicest jewellery are shocked to learn you actually have to take care of it,’ a third said.

Hartt replied, ‘The number of people on comments that threw away pieces because it looked "dirty" or tarnished, blows my mind!’

Sadly, not everyone succeeded, and one person's jewellery worsened after trying the tip.

Other commenters chimed in with their hacks and tips on how to get your jewellery looking new again.

One person wrote: 'OR...PUT A PIECE OF CHALK IN YOUR JEWELRY BOX, AND IT WILL NEVER TARNISH! I've done this for 15 years.'

Another person added, 'I just use an eraser (like for a pencil) and rub it off.'

Hartt said, ‘You’re kidding!! That works??’ to which the commenter replied, ‘Yep give it a try.’

‘Toothpaste and an old toothbrush. Amazing for silver and doesn't hurt stones fyi (for your information),’ another commenter said.

‘Or just use wipes dedicated to jewellery or a liquid for jewellery cleaning. You can buy them online,’ another commented.

‘Unless you're stuck in no man's land without it and have a date,’ Hartt quipped.

If Hartt's tricks aren’t working for your jewellery, give Mrs Meyer's Dish Soap mixed with hydrogen peroxide a try, which was tested by another social media personality.

Jewellery cleaning costs can range anywhere from $80—so playing a game of trial and error with these tricks could work in your favour and save you some cash in the long run.

An Aussie retail worker explains her method of cleaning common pantry staples in cleaning your silver jewellery in minutes! You can check the story here to learn more.

Key Takeaways

• A former Tiffany & Co. worker, Hartt, shared a video on social media showing his method for removing discolouration from worn jewellery.
  • He demonstrated his trick, which involves using a container, tin foil, bicarb soda, boiling water, and a spoon to bring his tarnished pieces back to a sparkle.
  • The video, which provides a step-by-step guide on polishing jewellery at home, has received more than 8.2 million views and over 876,400 likes.
  • Some viewers tried the trick successfully, while others shared their methods for keeping jewellery clean.
Have you tried this trick for cleaning your jewellery? Do you have other ways of cleaning jewellery? Share them with us in the comments below!

my two favorite ingredients for most things are carb-soda and white vinegar. I don't even use softener in the wash......wash in woolwash and rinse in white vinegar and I don't iron anything. No need to.

View attachment 35366

Key Takeaways

I wouldn’t try this method with any soft stones such as opals or emeralds as boiling water may damage or crack the stone. Same applies for any abrasives such as oven cleaner etc

View attachment 35366

Key Takeaways

View attachment 35366

Key Takeaways

Has anybody got an idea of cleaning Coins without devaluing them.

Has anybody got an idea of cleaning Coins without devaluing them.
Hello @dingo10! I did a bit of looking and came across this website you might find useful: https://toolguider.com/how-to-clean-old-coins-without-devaluing-them/amp/

But like @Leenie said, the Royal Australian Mint actually discourages cleaning coins. Lifting a few lines from their website:

'It’s only natural to want to cherish and hold your favourite coins. But touching and cleaning your coins can hurt them and their value!'

'It’s never bath time for coins. No matter how dirty, worn or tarnished they are, the filth is part of their charm (aka value).

Over time, coins go through a natural process called ‘toning’. This is when oxygen or sulphur react with the metal but, it’s important to remember, the surface under the toning still contains the reflective quality known as ‘mint lustre’.

Cleaning products will remove the lustre and will add tiny scratches and fibres that render the coin worthless. Your numismatic treasure may as well be a blank.

If you’re worried about your coin’s condition, contact a professional coin dealer or conservator for advice.'

View attachment 35366

Key Takeaways

Also good for cleaning cutlery.

Reactions: Leenie