Ex-pat shocked by Aussie cafe: 'This has never happened to me!'

As an ex-pat who recently arrived in Australia from the Netherlands, Max was excited about sharing his new life Down Under on social media.

The Dutch moved to Sydney just a few months ago and started sharing videos of himself exploring different parts of the city and trying new things. He's been documenting his journey on TikTok, where he has amassed a following of over 50 thousand people.

In one of his latest videos, Max details a rather bizarre – but very Aussie – café culture shock that he experienced.

In the clip, he recalls that he went to visit a cafe in Surry Hills called 'Single O' for coffee and something to eat. But when he got there and tried to pay for his order with cash, he was told that they only accept card payments.

Unfortunately for him, his bank cards hadn't arrived in the mail yet, so he couldn't pay with a card either.

mYzUMDuN78-M-mqHjErktBfJTkuWRJFbZjfp9P1skRZ0ZFhFP14E_kCBDWSWf54tqadPu3ZwTfwa7XYHUr__4yiNkarvY2tx37YIchVfzqHIZE3iaYBHU7Iy4Ff29P2dO3_26bEK1WBKc_wSl_kDLtwrUlDfFrhv7MgNyii-IArozrcED8w64dDs9g

An ex-pat was shocked at Australia's cafe culture. Credit: iStock. (Stock photo)

So what exactly did they do? The cafe staff simply told him not to worry about it, just come back tomorrow when he had his cards sorted out.

Yes – you read that right, members; they let him walk away without paying (on the condition that he would return tomorrow) because they completely trusted him.

'Okay, cool…' said Max in the clip. 'This has never happened to me!'

It was no surprise that Max was flabbergasted by what happened. In all his years of living in various countries around the world, he had never once experienced anything like that happen before. Surely, he must have thought this type of thing only happens in movies…

But apparently not, because as it turns out – this is (mostly) standard cafe protocol here in Australia! After asking around, he found that many people had experienced similar situations before, especially those who live in major cities like Sydney or Melbourne, where there's such a big cafe culture.

In the comments section of his video, many of his followers said they weren't surprised by the overly generous offer by the Aussie cafe. 'Because Aussies are generally very laid back and trusting. Make it your regular coffee shop,' said one user.

Another added: 'Because a caffeinated and fed society is a happy and healthy society. Welcome to Australia!'

A fellow ex-pat saw his video and shared that they, too, just had a similar experience. 'That happened to me two weeks ago in Brisbane! I live in the USA, and I was like: "Huh?"'

Max replied by saying: 'I've lived in the US for about two years myself, and yeah; I can't imagine that happening over there. The culture shock is real.'

Don't worry, folks – Max later made clear in the comments section that he did go back to the cafe and paid his bill. He even added a generous tip!

So what do you think, members? Do you agree? And can you imagine something like this happening anywhere else in the world?

Probably not… which is why this little incident perfectly sums up everything we love about Australian culture: laid back vibes, relaxed attitude, and of course, great coffee!

Sponsored
My son took his two kids to a Cafe in Sydney a couple of weeks ago .
My grandson has autism .
When my son went to pay the bill they said it's on them.
My son looked shocked and they replied , you're doing a good job with your boy, and they wanted to do something little for my son.

Now that's our Aussiee Spirit !

Last edited:
When we were in Turkey albiet 38 years ago we had two instances of this happening. I wanted to buy a News Week but did not have enough cash at the time and the shop owner gave me the magazine and told me to pay later. Another time we were in a village and we bought a carpet and said we would come back tomorrow when we had been to the bank to get some cash. He wrapped up the carpet gave it to us and said see you tomorrow. WOW

Can we go back to the fact that the cafe refused to take cash? Cash is still legal tender here and (outside of Covid) I believe retail outlets who do not accept cash are breaking the law. I refuse to pay by card for such small amounts as coffee. And some restaurants add a surcharge if you pay by card. It’s so wrong. I understand the owners have to pay for using credit and eftpos facilities, but surely that’s part of what owning a business entails.

I am glad about the trust shown by the Café. It doesn't happen much anywhere else. And I like the decency of the person to go back and pay for it later. Lets not some bad apples get in the way of decency for our society.
I haven't encountered cash being rejected yet but I am sure I will. By the way, you can often pay using card from your savings account if that is appropriate for you. I am not sure if there is a surcharge for that.

As an ex-pat who recently arrived in Australia from the Netherlands, Max was excited about sharing his new life Down Under on social media.

The Dutch moved to Sydney just a few months ago and started sharing videos of himself exploring different parts of the city and trying new things. He's been documenting his journey on TikTok, where he has amassed a following of over 50 thousand people.

In one of his latest videos, Max details a rather bizarre – but very Aussie – café culture shock that he experienced.

In the clip, he recalls that he went to visit a cafe in Surry Hills called 'Single O' for coffee and something to eat. But when he got there and tried to pay for his order with cash, he was told that they only accept card payments.

Unfortunately for him, his bank cards hadn't arrived in the mail yet, so he couldn't pay with a card either.

mYzUMDuN78-M-mqHjErktBfJTkuWRJFbZjfp9P1skRZ0ZFhFP14E_kCBDWSWf54tqadPu3ZwTfwa7XYHUr__4yiNkarvY2tx37YIchVfzqHIZE3iaYBHU7Iy4Ff29P2dO3_26bEK1WBKc_wSl_kDLtwrUlDfFrhv7MgNyii-IArozrcED8w64dDs9g

An ex-pat was shocked at Australia's cafe culture. Credit: iStock. (Stock photo)

So what exactly did they do? The cafe staff simply told him not to worry about it, just come back tomorrow when he had his cards sorted out.

Yes – you read that right, members; they let him walk away without paying (on the condition that he would return tomorrow) because they completely trusted him.

It was no surprise that Max was flabbergasted by what happened. In all his years of living in various countries around the world, he had never once experienced anything like that happen before. Surely, he must have thought this type of thing only happens in movies…

But apparently not, because as it turns out – this is (mostly) standard cafe protocol here in Australia! After asking around, he found that many people had experienced similar situations before, especially those who live in major cities like Sydney or Melbourne, where there's such a big cafe culture.

In the comments section of his video, many of his followers said they weren't surprised by the overly generous offer by the Aussie cafe. 'Because Aussies are generally very laid back and trusting. Make it your regular coffee shop,' said one user.

Another added: 'Because a caffeinated and fed society is a happy and healthy society. Welcome to Australia!'

A fellow ex-pat saw his video and shared that they, too, just had a similar experience. 'That happened to me two weeks ago in Brisbane! I live in the USA, and I was like: "Huh?"'

Max replied by saying: 'I've lived in the US for about two years myself, and yeah; I can't imagine that happening over there. The culture shock is real.'

Don't worry, folks – Max later made clear in the comments section that he did go back to the cafe and paid his bill. He even added a generous tip!

So what do you think, members? Do you agree? And can you imagine something like this happening anywhere else in the world?

Probably not… which is why this little incident perfectly sums up everything we love about Australian culture: laid back vibes, relaxed attitude, and of course, great coffee!

Cash is still legal tender & has to be accepted by businesses everywhere to pay for goods - even a cup of coffee. I would never pay for a cup of coffee by using my card. It's kept for bigger purchases which are more than the amount of cash I feel comfortable carrying,

I looked up about businesses not accepting cash, they can refuse cash as long as they have a sign that people can read before the person makes a transaction ie in this case ordering a coffee.

Reactions: paulamc52 and Ricci
Not accepting cash started during the Covid pandemic. Cafes owners and staff did not want to risk catching Covid from notes or coins. Some cafes have kept it up for the same reason. If you hadn't realised, people still catch Covid! I am writing from the isolation of my home. Yes, Day 4 of isolation. Sigh. I know of one cafe in Perth which doesn't accept cash, and they have signs saying this. It is always very busy.

given that the coffee would be discarded what fantastic pr . great training

Reactions: paulamc52
I am glad about the trust shown by the Café. It doesn't happen much anywhere else. And I like the decency of the person to go back and pay for it later. Lets not some bad apples get in the way of decency for our society.
I haven't encountered cash being rejected yet but I am sure I will. By the way, you can often pay using card from your savings account if that is appropriate for you. I am not sure if there is a surcharge for that.
I don’t actually have a credit card - when paying by card I use a debit card, which is what you’re talking about. I ate in a cafe recently which also had a surcharge on debit cards! And I’ve had cash rejected many times lately: in a city theatre, trying to pay for a single soft drink, at the Home Show for a coffee, in a winery and in several cafes.

Reactions: paulamc52

At my church cafe were have suspended coffees where customers will pay forward a coffee for those that could do with a coffee but don't have money or perhaps don't have money on them at the time. We have so many paid forward coffees that rarely get taken.

At my church cafe were have suspended coffees where customers will pay forward a coffee for those that could do with a coffee but don't have money or perhaps don't have money on them at the time. We have so many paid forward coffees that rarely get taken.

My son took his two kids to a Cafe in Sydney a couple of weeks ago .
My grandson has autism .
When my son went to pay the bill they said it's on them.
My son looked shocked and they replied , your doing a good job with your boy, and they wanted to do something little for my son.

Now that's our Aussiee Spirit !
you're not your (sorry can't help it)