EV charging bay's theme park switch sparks shock and charge controversy among owners!

The electric vehicle (EV) revolution is upon us, and with it comes the need for infrastructure that can keep pace with the growing demand for clean energy transportation.

Many are embracing this shift, either considering purchasing an EV or already cruising the streets in one.

However, as we all know, with new technology comes new challenges.

In a recent turn of events that has left Australian EV owners perplexed and frustrated, a Queensland EV owner voiced his dismay over decommissioning a set of charging stations in inner-city Brisbane.

According to the developers, Northshore Brisbane, the temporary charging bays at 281 MacArthur Avenue, part of the Queensland Electric Super Highway, were removed on May 25 to ‘facilitate the new Bluey’s World attraction and development’.

Bluey's World, a theme park devoted to the immensely beloved children's animated series, will debut in August.

image (21).png
A Queensland EV owner was surprised to discover that charging stations in Brisbane were decommissioned to make way for a children's theme park. Credits: Facebook

The decision to replace the charging stations with a theme park attraction sparked a heated debate among the EV community.

The Queensland-based EV owner, who stumbled upon the surprising sign announcing the decommissioning, branded the move as ‘so stupid’, expressing the belief that authorities ‘have no idea what they're doing’ and ‘are just throwing money around at this charging issue’.

‘Can anyone imagine a government department getting something so wrong in such a short time?’ the EV owner questioned.

‘These superchargers were installed two years ago. One can only imagine at what cost, and always used by locals.’

Some of those who replied to his post echoed his sentiments.

‘In many cases, the locations of chargers are based on what was available at the time. You’ll probably find that the development application for the site was well underway when the charger was installed,’ one commenter explained.

‘Real estate is a ruthless market, and for EV chargers this is compounded by the availability of electrical infrastructure. It shows the amount of or lack of diligence done in the first place. In identifying the best product. The best location,’ another agreed.

However, not everyone sees the situation in the same light. Some online commenters pointed out that the charging site was always intended to be temporary.

‘The sign says that this was a temporary site, I don’t see the issue,’ one pointed out.

This incident raises important questions about the planning and longevity of EV infrastructure.

It's clear that more foresight and commitment are needed to ensure that the transition to electric vehicles is smooth and sustainable.

The Electric Vehicle Council's latest data dispelled the ‘myth’ that EVs are only for wealthy inner-city dwellers, revealing a significant increase in EV orders from outer-suburban areas.

With Tesla and Chinese-owned Build Your Dream (BYD) leading the charge in EV sales in Australia, it's crucial that the infrastructure keeps up.

Northshore Brisbane stated, ‘The Queensland Government is supporting Yurika [a division of Energy Queensland, the largest, wholly government-owned electricity company in the country] in locating and maintaining a new charging site within the precinct.’

Meanwhile, a representative from TMR stated that they were actively seeking an alternative site for the chargers.

‘The Queensland Government is investigating suitable alternative sites in the Hamilton area and will inform motorists as soon as the new site is confirmed,’ they said.

‘The purpose of the MacArthur Avenue station was to act as a catalyst for private investment in similar charging infrastructure across Queensland. There are many public charging sites available in Brisbane and more are continuing to come online across Queensland including at shopping centres, car parks and tourist locations.’

As the debate over electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure unfolds, tensions are mounting among drivers and EV owners alike.

The recent uproar sparked by a controversial charging bay relocation underscored the challenges in accommodating the growing demand for EV facilities.

This incident serves as a poignant reminder of the need for effective communication and cooperation among all stakeholders in navigating the evolving landscape of transportation technology.

However, amidst these discussions, frustrations have surfaced among drivers encountering perceived entitled behaviour from some EV owners, further fueling the ongoing dialogue surrounding EV integration into public spaces.
Key Takeaways
  • A Queensland EV owner found it surprising that a set of charging stations in Brisbane were decommissioned for a children's theme park.
  • Northshore Brisbane stated the decommissioned Queensland Electric Super Highway site was to facilitate the new Bluey's World attraction.
  • The Queensland Government is in the process of locating and maintaining a new charging site in the area.
  • Data from the Electric Vehicle Council showed that the biggest increase in orders for electric vehicles came from outer-suburban areas, not just wealthy inner-city residents.
Have you experienced any challenges with EV charging stations? Do you think enough is being done to support the growth of electric vehicles in Australia? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
I have a hybrid (EV and fuel). Never have to recharge and average $45 for fuel every 5-6 weeks.
I was recently having a conversation with a Tesla owner. My reluctance to have a full EV is the limitation of range for each charge.
He said that it costs him around $40-$50 for each charge...not free. I asked him how he goes if he wants to go a distance. He has two cars. One with fuel for work and long distance and the Tesla EV for the lolly gag about use short range trips. So, I ascertained that the full EV's are only good if you don't regularly travel far afield. If you do, it's $50 each stop.
Don't worry Jennie...the Government is looking at charging EV drivers a yearly tax. Kind of defeats the purpose if one owns one to save money.

• Love
Reactions: DLHM and PattiB
About time EV owners charged their vehicles at home and paid their way in society. People with petrol and diesel cars don't get a free fill up when empty.
These chargers are NOT free. They are quite expensive to charge your battery. Obviously you don’t know a thing about EVs

Reactions: Nantes
I have a hybrid (EV and fuel). Never have to recharge and average $45 for fuel every 5-6 weeks.
I was recently having a conversation with a Tesla owner. My reluctance to have a full EV is the limitation of range for each charge.
He said that it costs him around $40-$50 for each charge...not free. I asked him how he goes if he wants to go a distance. He has two cars. One with fuel for work and long distance and the Tesla EV for the lolly gag about use short range trips. So, I ascertained that the full EV's are only good if you don't regularly travel far afield. If you do, it's $50 each stop.
Don't worry Jennie...the Government is looking at charging EV drivers a yearly tax. Kind of defeats the purpose if one owns one to save money.
Victoria was the first state to charge a per kilometre tax. This was deferred due to court case not in their favour. Other states watch the development? But due to some cars clocking up the kilometres in other states, this became complicated. Yep there will be a tax in the future, even though those who charge at home are already paying the price, plus GST

Reactions: MariaG and Nantes
These chargers are NOT free. They are quite expensive to charge your battery. Obviously you don’t know a thing about EVs
I have news for you mate. The ones in our area are free, the rate payers are paying the charge costs as the councils have put them in free. Come downnand have a look in the riverina.

Victoria was the first state to charge a per kilometre tax. This was deferred due to court case not in their favour. Other states watch the development? But due to some cars clocking up the kilometres in other states, this became complicated. Yep there will be a tax in the future, even though those who charge at home are already paying the price, plus GST
The rest of us, who mostly don't have the money for EV'S pay a road tax via the fuel we use. EV'S as a rule are heavier and do just as much damage to the roads as everyone else.

Reactions: Nantes
$45 every 5-6 weeks, $9 per week less than 6 litres of fuel @ $1.73pl . Sounds unlikely, that's not even 100 ks, if your motor is also recharging your battery the mileage would be less. I travel 80 ks plus just to do the shopping as do most people who are not on public transport routes.

I have news for you mate. The ones in our area are free, the rate payers are paying the charge costs as the councils have put them in free. Come downnand have a look in the riverina.
Yes I will come down soon. Too good an opportunity to miss. I bet next election they and the Councillors will be gone.

Yes I will come down soon. Too good an opportunity to miss. I bet next election they and the Councillors will be gone.
Unfortunately the people in Wagga have voted the same councillors in for years. I'm not in that council area and have asked why they do, the reply is usually, what can we do.

The rest of us, who mostly don't have the money for EV'S pay a road tax via the fuel we use. EV'S as a rule are heavier and do just as much damage to the roads as everyone else.
Our EV was cheaper than a second hand Pajero sports. So it made sense

Unfortunately the people in Wagga have voted the same councillors in for years. I'm not in that council area and have asked why they do, the reply is usually, what can we do.
Luckily the people of Katoomba changed local and state parties regularly. Made so much difference