SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jarred Santos

Jarred Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 10, 2022
Etsy seller caught passing off marked-up Kmart shelf as ‘homemade’ - unbelievable!

We all love a good bargain, but there's nothing worse than feeling like you've been ripped off – especially when it comes to something you purchased online.

While we do our best to be savvy shoppers, sometimes we can't help but fall for a scam. And that appears to be exactly what happened to one TikTok user who found an unsettling listing on Etsy.

In a video posted recently, user ‘morgsmewtwo’ came across a trendy handmade wooden shelf on the popular online marketplace, where vintage, craft, and handmade products are sold.

‘This is why I don’t trust Etsy. Look at this shelf,’ she said while showing its listing on camera.

‘It looks cute, it’s $40, it’s from an Australian shop…’ she continued.

And then, the catch as she switches to another window on her computer: ‘It’s from f*****g Kmart…and more expensive!’

Screenshot_1.png
This ‘handmade’ wooden shelf was being sold for $40 on Etsy. Credit: TikTok/@morgsmewtwo

True enough, the listing posted by a seller named ‘DecorbytDesign’ was an exact copy of an embossed wooden shelf available at Kmart for only $25!

Clearly disappointed at her discovery, ‘morgsmewtwo’ said in her caption: ‘This is why we can’t have nice things.’

As of posting, her video has almost 200,000 views, over 9000 hearts (likes), and hundreds of comments.

Some blamed Etsy for the sad find, pointing out how the online marketplace isn’t doing anything to address the problem of users selling items that clearly aren’t their own.

‘I see so much of this on Etsy! It blows my mind!’ one user said.

‘Etsy does nothing about them,’ another added, ‘As someone who sells genuinely handmade stuff there, it is so frustrating.’

Some shared their own experiences as well.

One said: ‘I once found the Kmart wedding planner on Etsy was listed as "handmade", all they did was add the names of bride and groom.’

‘I bought a cute knitted baby toy at a market only to find it at Kmart the next day for like half the price, they had literally just cut the tag off.’ another added.

Aside from Kmart, items from the online shopping site AliExpress can often be found on Etsy too, according to other users.

kjgbsligf.png
‘Morgsmewtwo’ found Kmart’s Embossed Wooden Shelf being sold for $25. Credit: Kmart

Lastly, there were also people begging others to give legitimate Etsy sellers a chance.

‘Don’t let some Etsy sellers ruin it for all of us!’ one urged. ‘There’s a lot of great makers out there on Etsy.’

To her credit, ‘morgsmewtwo’ agreed: ‘Oh absolutely! I just wish there was some quality control being done so it wasn’t so hard to find the makers.’

Meanwhile, Etsy has disabled the account of ‘DecorbytDesign’. A glance at their reviews reveals other dissatisfied customers who also noticed their purchases were only resold items.

Key Takeaways

• TikTok user 'morgsmewtwo' flagged a seller on Etsy passing off a $25 wooden shelf from Kmart for almost double the price.
  • Etsy a marketplace for vintage, handmade and craft items.
  • Morgsmewtwo's post has been viewed more than 190,100 times and drew in hundreds of comments from frustrated shoppers as well as Etsy sellers
  • Etsy has since removed the seller's profile.
One review left by a user who bought a different shelf wrote: ‘Buyers be warned: This item is a Kmart product that is $12 online. There isn’t a clear reference to this in the item description or details so I thought I would just let interested people know.’

For those wondering, Etsy does allow reselling, but only for its vintage and craft supplies sections and not for items sold as handmade.

So, be sure to keep that in mind the next time you shop online.

And like ‘morgsmewtwo’, it’s worth doing some research before you purchase products online. You never know what you might find…

What is your reaction to this story? Have you had similar experiences with resellers on Etsy or other online shopping sites?

Do let us know in the comments section below!

Source: TikTok/@morgsmewtwo

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Etsy seller caught passing off marked-up Kmart shelf as ‘homemade’ - unbelievable!

We all love a good bargain, but there's nothing worse than feeling like you've been ripped off – especially when it comes to something you purchased online.

While we do our best to be savvy shoppers, sometimes we can't help but fall for a scam. And that appears to be exactly what happened to one TikTok user who found an unsettling listing on Etsy.

In a video posted recently, user ‘morgsmewtwo’ came across a trendy handmade wooden shelf on the popular online marketplace, where vintage, craft, and handmade products are sold.

‘This is why I don’t trust Etsy. Look at this shelf,’ she said while showing its listing on camera.

‘It looks cute, it’s $40, it’s from an Australian shop…’ she continued.

And then, the catch as she switches to another window on her computer: ‘It’s from f*****g Kmart…and more expensive!’

View attachment 7875
This ‘handmade’ wooden shelf was being sold for $40 on Etsy. Credit: TikTok/@morgsmewtwo

True enough, the listing posted by a seller named ‘DecorbytDesign’ was an exact copy of an embossed wooden shelf available at Kmart for only $25!

Clearly disappointed at her discovery, ‘morgsmewtwo’ said in her caption: ‘This is why we can’t have nice things.’

As of posting, her video has almost 200,000 views, over 9000 hearts (likes), and hundreds of comments.

Some blamed Etsy for the sad find, pointing out how the online marketplace isn’t doing anything to address the problem of users selling items that clearly aren’t their own.

‘I see so much of this on Etsy! It blows my mind!’ one user said.

‘Etsy does nothing about them,’ another added, ‘As someone who sells genuinely handmade stuff there, it is so frustrating.’

Some shared their own experiences as well.

One said: ‘I once found the Kmart wedding planner on Etsy was listed as "handmade", all they did was add the names of bride and groom.’

‘I bought a cute knitted baby toy at a market only to find it at Kmart the next day for like half the price, they had literally just cut the tag off.’ another added.

Aside from Kmart, items from the online shopping site AliExpress can often be found on Etsy too, according to other users.

View attachment 7874
‘Morgsmewtwo’ found Kmart’s Embossed Wooden Shelf being sold for $25. Credit: Kmart

Lastly, there were also people begging others to give legitimate Etsy sellers a chance.

‘Don’t let some Etsy sellers ruin it for all of us!’ one urged. ‘There’s a lot of great makers out there on Etsy.’

To her credit, ‘morgsmewtwo’ agreed: ‘Oh absolutely! I just wish there was some quality control being done so it wasn’t so hard to find the makers.’

Meanwhile, Etsy has disabled the account of ‘DecorbytDesign’. A glance at their reviews reveals other dissatisfied customers who also noticed their purchases were only resold items.

Key Takeaways

• TikTok user 'morgsmewtwo' flagged a seller on Etsy passing off a $25 wooden shelf from Kmart for almost double the price.
  • Etsy a marketplace for vintage, handmade and craft items.
  • Morgsmewtwo's post has been viewed more than 190,100 times and drew in hundreds of comments from frustrated shoppers as well as Etsy sellers
  • Etsy has since removed the seller's profile.
One review left by a user who bought a different shelf wrote: ‘Buyers be warned: This item is a Kmart product that is $12 online. There isn’t a clear reference to this in the item description or details so I thought I would just let interested people know.’

For those wondering, Etsy does allow reselling, but only for its vintage and craft supplies sections and not for items sold as handmade.

So, be sure to keep that in mind the next time you shop online.

And like ‘morgsmewtwo’, it’s worth doing some research before you purchase products online. You never know what you might find…

What is your reaction to this story? Have you had similar experiences with resellers on Etsy or other online shopping sites?

Do let us know in the comments section below!

Source: TikTok/@morgsmewtwo

I bought a table lamp from a seller on EBay and realised it was from KMart when it arrived. I checked their web side and the lamp was $25 cheaper than I paid. I messaged the seller and demanded a refund of the balance and got it.

A few years ago I saw for sale on E-bay a set of spark plug cups for a Toyota Y series engine. The seller wanted twice the price of buying from your local Toyota dealer.
E-bay can be a lifeline living in a rural area,but it is buyer beware.
Also, if you buy Blundstone boots or Mongeral boots online there is no warrantee, only if you buy from a bricks and mortar shop.

There are no rules for online selling.
Except things like if it isn't new you cant say the item is new, or if it is a designer label ...say it is a bag and say it's states that it is Chanel but it is a copy you can't do that.

People buy from second hand shops and then sell on line and that's ok as long as you state it's used.

You can buy from kmart.. target and then sell it .

Always pay using PayPal if you receive an item that isn't as described or don't receive an item you will be able to get a refund.

Last edited:
This is the main reason why a lot of the genuine makers closed their accounts on Etsy as they were competing with manufacturers and people that were reselling. Etsy hasn't previously and still doesn't monitor or do anything about the resellers. There are still genuine makers on there you just have to search for them.

Reactions: Ricci