Entrepreneur mum shares ‘uncomfortable’ market tactic customers do

The Aussie market scene is among the liveliest and most vibrant in our cities and towns. Visiting the local farmers market or community fair is a treasured tradition.

You will also encounter small businesses in the market, and they are surely worth patronising for their uniqueness and diversity of products and services.

However, a small business owner voiced concern over one ‘tactic’ that seemed ‘uncomfortable’ for her.

Emma Kenney, owner of baby and toddler brand Angus the Label, recently expressed her dislike of people haggling with her at markets in a video online.

Haggling is a ‘tactic’ where people—most often insistently—ask for discounts on items being sold.

'I understand their point of view that this is obviously my business, and I do have the power to give them a discount if I choose to,' Emma said.

photo (2).jpg
Small business owner Emma Kenney shared her thoughts about haggling. Credit: @angusthelabel / TikTok

'There is also the mentality that if you don't ask, you don't receive. But, pushing for a discount from the business owner when the discount is not offered just makes everyone uncomfortable, particularly when the owner has clearly put so much passion into their business.'

It was a divisive opinion that struck a chord with Aussies, with many sympathising with Emma's point of view, saying that they don’t haggle in supermarkets like Woolworths, so they won’t also haggle with small business owners.

'I could never haggle. It’s so rude, plus would make me feel so uncomfy!' one person said.

'Like, do you haggle at the grocery store? No,' another person commented.

Another added, 'I've owned retail businesses and people like this get ignored if not banned.’

On the other hand, others felt that haggling is to be expected when you shop at markets.

'Isn't haggling the basis of markets? Isn't it meant to be a trade centre for the community?' one person asked.

'Boohoo, that’s the whole point of markets. Don’t like it, sell online or in a store,' said another.

Emma responded after all the feedback she received. She said that while she doesn't mind a bit of haggling in 'some circumstances', she does feel uncomfortable when 'people really push it or are impolite'.

'What I'm learning now is that I actually don't mind when people haggle, what I would appreciate is if people could haggle with a bit more knowledge about how small businesses work,' she said in her follow-up video online.

She advised people thinking of haggling to ‘haggle with education’—meaning they should factor in the costs to ‘consider’ how an item costs. Emma mentioned the following factors:

• Time for design or creation
  • Shipping costs
  • Packaging costs
  • Wages
  • Market stall fees
  • Product insurance
  • Public liability insurance
  • Subscriptions, like Adobe and accounting software

If you’re new to the concept of haggling but want to save a few bucks, you should check out our previous story! A retail worker revealed five simple words that could help you save more money on your next purchase. Read more about it here.

Key Takeaways

• Emma Kenney, owner of Angus the Label, expressed her discomfort when people haggle at her market stalls.
  • She stated that while she can offer discounts, haggling can be intrusive, especially as she puts in long hours to run her business.
  • Some users agreed with her, arguing people don't haggle at big supermarkets, so it shouldn't be expected of small businesses.
  • Others defended the practice, arguing that haggling is a basic part of markets.
  • Kenney concluded that she does not mind haggling in 'some circumstances' but wishes for more understanding of how small businesses operate.

Members, have you ever haggled at the markets? Do you think it's acceptable? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorro56 and BJM
Sponsored
My suggestion - increase your prices by 10% then offer a 5% discount to hagglers. They will think they got a bargain & you will have marginally increased your profits. For those who don't haggle you can just offer to sell at what was your original price & they'll go away thinking they got a bargain also.

I’m definitely not a haggler but I would be more inclined to ask for a better price at a big store eg jewellery or appliance rather than query a small business like Emma’s.
It’s okay to ask but accept the answer and if you don’t like it, move on and buy something else.

I don't go to markets. Not fond of trudging around looking at things I don't need.
I'm the worst person I know for haggling. By saying that, I mean I am totally inept. Just not me.
I do however, ask bigger stores, like Harvey Norman or Good Guys, if that's the best they can do because I know they will look for a reduction to get the sale. Also, I have no problem asking for price matching. Some stores honour that, and, offer a further discount as well. Those sorts of things are ne.

The Aussie market scene is among the liveliest and most vibrant in our cities and towns. Visiting the local farmers market or community fair is a treasured tradition.

You will also encounter small businesses in the market, and they are surely worth patronising for their uniqueness and diversity of products and services.

However, a small business owner voiced concern over one ‘tactic’ that seemed ‘uncomfortable’ for her.

Emma Kenney, owner of baby and toddler brand Angus the Label, recently expressed her dislike of people haggling with her at markets in a video online.

Haggling is a ‘tactic’ where people—most often insistently—ask for discounts on items being sold.

'I understand their point of view that this is obviously my business, and I do have the power to give them a discount if I choose to,' Emma said.

View attachment 34104
Small business owner Emma Kenney shared her thoughts about haggling. Credit: @angusthelabel / TikTok

'There is also the mentality that if you don't ask, you don't receive. But, pushing for a discount from the business owner when the discount is not offered just makes everyone uncomfortable, particularly when the owner has clearly put so much passion into their business.'

It was a divisive opinion that struck a chord with Aussies, with many sympathising with Emma's point of view, saying that they don’t haggle in supermarkets like Woolworths, so they won’t also haggle with small business owners.

'I could never haggle. It’s so rude, plus would make me feel so uncomfy!' one person said.

Another added, 'I've owned retail businesses and people like this get ignored if not banned.’

On the other hand, others felt that haggling is to be expected when you shop at markets.

'Isn't haggling the basis of markets? Isn't it meant to be a trade centre for the community?' one person asked.

'Boohoo, that’s the whole point of markets. Don’t like it, sell online or in a store,' said another.

Emma responded after all the feedback she received. She said that while she doesn't mind a bit of haggling in 'some circumstances', she does feel uncomfortable when 'people really push it or are impolite'.

'What I'm learning now is that I actually don't mind when people haggle, what I would appreciate is if people could haggle with a bit more knowledge about how small businesses work,' she said in her follow-up video online.

She advised people thinking of haggling to ‘haggle with education’—meaning they should factor in the costs to ‘consider’ how an item costs. Emma mentioned the following factors:

• Shipping costs
  • Packaging costs
  • Wages
  • Market stall fees
  • Product insurance

If you’re new to the concept of haggling but want to save a few bucks, you should check out our previous story! A retail worker revealed five simple words that could help you save more money on your next purchase. Read more about it here.

Key Takeaways

• Emma Kenney, owner of Angus the Label, expressed her discomfort when people haggle at her market stalls.
  • She stated that while she can offer discounts, haggling can be intrusive, especially as she puts in long hours to run her business.
  • Some users agreed with her, arguing people don't haggle at big supermarkets, so it shouldn't be expected of small businesses.
  • Others defended the practice, arguing that haggling is a basic part of markets.
  • Kenney concluded that she does not mind haggling in 'some circumstances' but wishes for more understanding of how small businesses operate.

Members, have you ever haggled at the markets? Do you think it's acceptable? Let us know in the comments below!

I once tried haggling at Myers over a watch price, and nearly won until the salesperson jacked up and objected to my doing so: "You can't do that here!"

• Haha
Reactions: mjdm and KaraJenna
I wouldn't haggle at markets. I have friends who have their own small businesses and I've seen how tough it's been for them to keep going over the past few years, it just doesn't seem right to haggle. However in stores I always ask if they offer a Seniors Card discount. Quite a few times they say, "No, we don't do Seniors Card, but I can offer you a 5% discount", or something similar.

Recently I have had to replace both my dishwasher and washing machine, within a month of each other. Purchased both from the same store!!
I asked when it was time to pay “is that the best price you can do”…..no sure if it was my lucky day but I received $100.00 off the price of the dishwasher and $200.00 off the price of the washing machine.
It does not hurt to ask, if the request is refused, leave it at that.

View attachment 34104

• Shipping costs
  • Packaging costs
  • Wages
  • Market stall fees
  • Product insurance

Key Takeaways

I agree with Emma, ... but one could offer them 1,2 or 3 cents then the round up would bring it back up or event to the dollar and most wouldnt notice... or have the price a little higher just like most big retailers do when they have their sales

Recently I have had to replace both my dishwasher and washing machine, within a month of each other. Purchased both from the same store!!
I asked when it was time to pay “is that the best price you can do”…..no sure if it was my lucky day but I received $100.00 off the price of the dishwasher and $200.00 off the price of the washing machine.
It does not hurt to ask, if the request is refused, leave it at that.
But you were spending somewhere in the vicinity of $2000 & in a large store. That's a lot different to haggling with a small market stall holder whose profit margin in very little when you consider all the costs to set up a stall. I used to do markets until it became financially unviable with cost of fuel, cost of electricity to create the products for my stall, market stall insurance (extremely high), site cost etc. etc. etc.

I have always thought that haggling at markets was not only the Australian way but expected. I agree with Elaine41 put your prices up and then people will think they got a bargain if you reduce the price for them. No one shopping for a bargain at a market thinks about your costs. At this time when money is short everyone wants to save money when spending. The other alternative would be to put up a sign saying prices as marked no exceptions and refer customers to the sign.

A business's prices should be the best price that the business can offer. Another business might be able to offer lower prices (due to being more efficient, or by cutting corners). If you don't like the price here, go somewhere else and try your luck and see if you get the same value for money, is the way I've always thought about discounts. Giving discounts slides into dishonesty, becauseit makes one wonder how much the real price has been jacked up.

View attachment 34104

• Shipping costs
  • Packaging costs
  • Wages
  • Market stall fees
  • Product insurance

Key Takeaways

I am very selective who I haggle with. If you understand how much markup a business has on their product, it helps a lot. I am much more likely to haggle at Cashies than with a one man operation simply because I know the markup at Cashies is massive, and they have room to move, especially as most of their products are secondhand. I am less likely to haggle over new products than secondhand ones. I am always respectful when haggling, and backoff if I can see that the retailer is unlikely to reduce the price. I always finish with, " I hope you are not offended, but I had to ask".

I know people haggle with tradies prior to getting a quote, sometimes even after. Recently we got a quote for hearing aids, way over the top. We went and got two more quotes, left a deposit, only to get the first retailer come back to us and state he would do a once only price match. Too late - lost the business, and future maintenance consultations.