Enter the next dimension of fun: Discover how the Hologram Zoo is revolutionising your wildlife experience

In the heart of Brisbane, a revolutionary family attraction has emerged, offering an immersive experience that is transforming the future of entertainment.

Welcome to the world's first Hologram Zoo, where animals spring to life before your eyes and majestic whales glide gracefully through the air.

This isn't your typical zoo visit; it's an augmented-reality adventure that redefines how we interact with wildlife.

Axiom Holographics, the innovative company behind this groundbreaking concept, opened the Hologram Zoo in July 2023.

Visitors are treated to life-like holograms of hundreds of animals projected with astonishing realism.

Screenshot 2024-02-08 123935.png
Axiom Holographics opened the Hologram Zoo in July 2023. Image source: @hologramzoofficial/Instagram

From walking through African savannahs to marvelling at Arctic animals, the zoo offers a range of experiences that far exceed the capabilities of a traditional zoo.

Visitors can even journey back to prehistoric terrains and come face-to-face with dinosaurs!

The Hologram Zoo is the brainchild of Axiom CEO Bruce Dell, who firmly believes that hologram centres are the future of entertainment.

'When a giant whale swims past you, everyone goes into a reverence. You see things that you've never seen before,' Mr Dell said.

The technology behind the Hologram Zoo is nothing short of revolutionary. Axiom developed a proprietary 'depth' technology that was voted one of the Best Inventions of 2023 by Time Magazine.

Screenshot 2024-02-08 125416.png
Axiom developed a proprietary 'depth' technology for the Hologram Zoo. Image source: @hologramzoofficial/Instagram

The zoo projects holograms into the air using laser light, and visitors—equipped with special position-tracked glasses—perceive the animals correctly and in full depth, no matter where they move.

‘People at first think, "Oh, that's nice, the animals are coming up to the wall." But then the animals walk through the wall and into the tunnel with them,’ Mr Dell stated.

‘If you can imagine—a dinosaur putting his head through the wall coming out to eat you. That's where people go, "Wow, this is a long way ahead of anything I thought I was ever going to see,”’ he continued.

The Hologram Zoo is not just about visual spectacle—it also incorporates a 4D element. Wind, temperature, and smells are introduced to heighten the experience, making it a truly multi-sensory adventure.

More than that, the zoo's design also offers unique vantage points visitors would never experience in a traditional zoo.

'You go under what we call a sky roof because we realise that sometimes the best view is actually underneath. To get a sense of a brontosaurus, if you are looking up and he's walking over the top of you—people are really, really impressed by that view,' Mr Dell explained.

Despite the zoo's success, it has faced criticism from those who believe people should be experiencing the natural world outdoors rather than in a virtual reality setting.

Mr Dell, however, dismissed this idea.

‘I believe [many] zoos do excellent work in conservation. And I like the idea that humans are in touch with real animals,’ he said.

'But you can't see dinosaurs in the zoo. No aquarium has a tank big enough to have a blue whale. Cherry blossoms in snow do not fall on command. The elephants aren't going to charge you at the zoo. So we can be a little bit more creative. I think there's room in this world for both,' he added.

This revolutionary attraction is not just for the young; it's designed to entertain visitors of all ages.

Mr Dell shared: ‘We've had lots of 80 to 90-year-olds come. They say, "This is something we can do. You're not giving me an Xbox controller. All we do is walk.”’

The success of the Hologram Zoo has led to plans for international expansion.

While Mr Dell couldn't specify how many zoos are being launched or where, he hinted at several countries, including America and Japan.

'Keep an eye out,' he said, 'We're opening in different countries. There will be UK Hologram Zoos by the end of the year.'

Key Takeaways

• Hologram Zoo delivers a revolutionary immersive experience with life-like holographic animals interacting with visitors.
  • Developed by Axiom CEO Bruce Dell, the technology integrates 4D elements like wind and smells to enhance the experience.
  • The proprietary technology behind the Hologram Zoo has been recognised as one of the Best Inventions of 2023 by Time Magazine, using laser light and special glasses for depth perception.
  • Plans are in place for the Hologram Zoo to become an international franchise, with the expectation of UK locations opening by the end of the year.

What do you think of the Hologram Zoo, members? Have you visited it or will you visit it in the future? Share your thoughts and experience in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
I have been to the hologram centre that was on the Gold Coast before Covid. I took a class of students, and they had just finished doing a unit of work on the planets. They learnt more in a half hour session in the holographic walk-through then they had in the unit of work. To actually see in 3D, to be able to interact and walk around the planets and see how they relate to each other. Meant so much more to them. Let’s face it. ,they are growing up in a digital visual World, and that is what they know and remember. That is what they relate to. we also did dinosaurs and a fly around the Gold Coast. It was amazing and stunning. Their retention of the knowledge they learned in these experiences, lasted them so much longer than a traditional talk and chalk lesson..

It is a truly stunning experience, and you find yourself reaching out to Pat the creatures, and talk to them and Shop and frightened when they come at you! LOL. It would be well worth a visit.

Reactions: Ezzy and MariaG
Sounds fantastic I’ll definitely be going, can someone tell me where it is , and it’s address. Thank you.