Emotional runway: Kmart's Family Day show brings tears to shopper's eyes

Kmart has always been a beacon of affordable fashion, and their Family Day runway event at the Melbourne Fashion Festival did something extraordinary that moved one woman to tears.

In a world where the fashion industry is often criticised for its narrow standards of beauty, Kmart's runway show stood out as a celebration of diversity and inclusivity in a story that's sure to warm the hearts of many.

The emotional response from one attendee, Claudia Poposki, who found herself overwhelmed with joy, was a testament to the power of representation.

As an average-sized woman, she said she was accustomed to the frustration of being overlooked by fashion brands that typically cater to smaller sizes.

‘It’s rare to see people who look like me on runways around the world as a size 16; despite it being the average size of Aussie women,’ she said.

‘Yet I am routinely let down by brands who simply do not cater to me.’

417561853_793597376134276_2290268536941454943_n.jpg
Kmart held an inclusive fashion show at the Melbourne Fashion Festival featuring everyday Australians with different body types, ethnicities, and abilities. Credits: Facebook / Kmart Australia

Claudia explained that this exclusion could be deeply disheartening.

‘We are an afterthought, relegated to buying clothes online because they don’t stock beyond a size 12 or 14 in stores,’ she said.

Grace O'Malley, a podcast host on Plan Bri, shared a relatable story on social media about her struggle to find a dress for the People's Choice Awards.

Her experience of being turned away by stores and feeling a lack of confidence even after finding a dress resonated with many like Claudia who have faced similar challenges.

‘It’s an experience I have had countless times, so now I only shop at brands that show people who look like me,’ she said.

‘But it’s even rarer to see people who look like my friends and the world around me.’

According to Claudia, Kmart's runway show painted a different picture—one where everyone is worthy of fashion and feeling good about themselves.

‘Kmart had a runway cast that featured kids, grandparents, pregnant women, people with different abilities, a woman wearing a hijab, Indigenous Australians, people of all different body types and ethnicities,’ she said.

What made the show even more special for her was that many of the models were Kmart team members and their families, emphasising that these were not professional models, but everyday Australians.

She felt that this approach not only showcased Kmart's clothing in a relatable way but also sent a powerful message about the value of seeing oneself in the media we consume.

The impact of this inclusivity was palpable.

‘It filled my heart with so much joy that it brought me to tears,’ Claudia said.

‘It may seem like such a small thing, but representation is one of the most important things. It creates inclusion and confidence. Most of all, it creates options.’

‘If you’ve been pigeonholed into a certain style because of how you look, you start to believe you can’t take risks. This showed the complete opposite of that.’

Another attendee remarked that it was her favourite aspect of the show, as it allowed her to envision herself in the clothes being presented.

Catherine Wringe, Kmart Australia's womenswear buyer, explained that the diverse runway was no accident.

‘At Kmart, our customers are at the forefront of everything we do, and we are inspired by the diversity of the communities we serve,’ she said.

‘We are passionate about authentically reflecting this diversity in how we show up as a brand to ensure that all customers, regardless of differences like gender, ethnicity, ability or age, can see themselves represented in our brand.’

‘Across the Family Runway presented by Kmart, our products are worn by a diverse cast of Kmart team members, their family, community members, dancers, and street cast models to reflect the communities that Kmart is so proud to be a part of,’ she added.

Last year, Target—now merged with Kmart—also launched its spring and summer collection, and was positively viewed due to its inclusive campaign featuring models of various sizes and cultural backgrounds.
Key Takeaways

• Kmart held a fashion show at the Melbourne Fashion Festival featuring a diverse range of models, reflecting different body types, ethnicities, and abilities.
  • One woman, moved to tears by the representation, discussed the fashion industry's tendency to exclude people who are size 16 and over—despite it being the average size of Australian women.
  • Kmart's runway featured everyday Australians, including team members, highlighting that everyone deserves to look and feel good.
  • Catherine Wringe, Kmart Australia’s womenswear buyer, emphasised the brand's commitment to reflecting the diversity of their customer base in their presentations.
Have you ever felt represented or misrepresented by the fashion industry? What changes would you like to see to make fashion more inclusive? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
16 is not plus size.
Ah, but some stores want to make it that way. I had recently been professionally fitted for undergarments & I was a size 16 when I went to one of the large clothing stores to try on a winter jacket & reached size 20 & still too small. When I commented that the sizes marked on garments they sold were inaccurate I was informed by the sweet young shop assistant that the size of undergarments which need to fit perfectly had nothing to do with the size of other garments. In more than 60 years of buying clothes with this as the standard for sizing I was stunned at this attitude by manufacturers. So, in this case I left the store without a new winter coat as I was definitely not going to try on a size 22 which would make me feel morbidly obese every time I saw the size on the tag when I put the coat on.

Ah, but some stores want to make it that way. I had recently been professionally fitted for undergarments & I was a size 16 when I went to one of the large clothing stores to try on a winter jacket & reached size 20 & still too small. When I commented that the sizes marked on garments they sold were inaccurate I was informed by the sweet young shop assistant that the size of undergarments which need to fit perfectly had nothing to do with the size of other garments. In more than 60 years of buying clothes with this as the standard for sizing I was stunned at this attitude by manufacturers. So, in this case I left the store without a new winter coat as I was definitely not going to try on a size 22 which would make me feel morbidly obese every time I saw the size on the tag when I put the coat on.
I don’t look at size tags anymore , if it fits it fits I wear size 16 - 20 depending on the garment & fit . Size is just a number if it worries you cut the size tag out .

I hope you haven't made people on this sight who might be a size 22, uncomfortable.

I don’t look at size tags anymore , if it fits it fits I wear size 16 - 20 depending on the garment & fit . Size is just a number if it worries you cut the size tag out .
Exactly,but sizing has changed drastically. I can still wear a size 14 blouse made in WA that is more than 20yrs old and great condition,but have to go 16 to 18 or higher on new buys

Me too ,sizing has gone bananas even with underwear. A size 14 blouse WA made years and years old I can still wear but have to go up a few sizes in new purchases

I don’t worry about sizes anymore because of the vast difference in different brands. I can wear a size 12 in some pants and a size 16 in others. I just go with what feels comfortable

Last edited:
16 is not plus size.
According to Marie Claire magazine, the Australian fashion industry considers anything over size 10 to be "plus size".

Just relaying a statement made by an "authority" on the subject.

For me, plus size means 16 or over. In saying that, I have been in intimate relationships with women who have been size 24! Hopefully I made the point that I'm not into "fat shaming" and I will come down like a tonne of bricks on those who engage in such behaviour.

End of rant....

That's why I don't buy clothing on-line.
Size 16 is on a lot of sites as plus listings. When you do measurement comparisons, a lot of times it is still not large enough.
I remember once, I ordered a top, 2 sizes larger than my normal, specifically geared to wear other clothing under it, like a long sleeve T shirt. It was a unique colour combination the same as my grandson's soccer team. You know ... trendy granny in team colours kind of thing.
This top came from Asia where I think the standard size is Minus 1. When I received it, I couldn't even fit it over my head. I was so peed of, it made me laugh out loud.
Not bothering to return this you beaut super special buy back overseas, I opted to chop it up and sew it onto a plain colour...same result.
After that, say 10 years ago, I have never bought clothing online again, no matter the price.

According to Marie Claire magazine, the Australian fashion industry considers anything over size 10 to be "plus size".

Just relaying a statement made by an "authority" on the subject.

For me, plus size means 16 or over. In saying that, I have been in intimate relationships with women who have been size 24! Hopefully I made the point that I'm not into "fat shaming" and I will come down like a tonne of bricks on those who engage in such behaviour.

End of rant....
I’ve found TEMU pretty good. In the reviews it lets you know if they are true to size and so far I’ve only had one pair of pants that I found a bit small. Everything else I’ve been more than happy with

I’ve found TEMU pretty good. In the reviews it lets you know if they are true to size and so far I’ve only had one pair of pants that I found a bit small. Everything else I’ve been more than happy with
Decent price range on that site. If you can find something that goes true to size, run with it and more power to you.

Reactions: Colette 3799