Emotional 'A Current Affair' host Tracy Grimshaw announces she is leaving the show after 17 years

For years, we've enjoyed watching our favourite TV shows. And for years, we've gotten attached to the hosts who've made those shows possible.

After 17 years of hosting A Current Affair, 62-year-old TV legend Tracy Grimshaw has announced that she will bid farewell to the show.

The 62-year-old TV icon broke the news in a moving speech at the end of Monday's episode.

Grimshaw said: 'Normally right about now we’d be telling you what to expect tomorrow night but lately, I’ve personally been thinking long term, and I have some news that I wanted you to hear from me before you hear it from anyone else.'

'I’ve decided to finish up with A Current Affair this year.'

'It’s been a big decision and before the gossip websites start telling you rubbish, I want you to know it’s been my decision alone and I’m not being shoved out the door by the boys club because I’m too old.'

'I’m not too old, I’m just a bit tired. And for the record, both the boys and the girls have asked me to stay.'

Credit: YouTube/A Current Affair

Grimshaw said she's been thinking about her future lately and decided it's time to move on.

'I've been a shift worker for 26 years, driving to work before dawn for nine years on the Today Show, and the past 17 years driving home after dark here on A Current Affair and it's time for less of that daily obligation,' she told the viewers.

Grimshaw started her career on TV back in 1971, when she was just a kid. She's since interviewed people from all walks of life, and says she's been lucky to have such a long and successful career.

'You've let me indulge my love of interviewing here. I've talked to people who've made us all laugh and cry, who've shared their triumphs and their challenges and their wisdom and despair,' she said.

Grimshaw will be on the show until November, after which she plans to take a long holiday.

Director of News and Current Affairs at Nine, Darren Wick, referred to Grimshaw as 'an inspiration' to work with.

Mr Wick said: 'Tracy has decided now is the perfect time to leave the program.'

'She is doing it on her own terms on her own timetable. Just as she has done throughout her whole career. And sadness because she is irreplaceable.'

'I know we work in an industry where it’s often said that anyone can be replaced. But that’s not true with Trace. She is one of a kind.'

JgX6RT-RXH5TxnLd2LcfurrgiMjjH30OHbtYM-3YtvFRLaQbti0j8UuTR6SiiKFx-F6g-BFt-dGN3DAySVlBbXH3vn9jAjj9fA2WmhMmrGuC9g2bMMwaRAQmfdYHVm1pBcYeFpiOqWIbQJ2lVSOjo1nGDYnaoYWNuvu64tUbl9bPRY8SLSPM0WpC

Tracy Grimshaw has been hosting the show for 17 years. Credit: Channel Nine.

Grimshaw confirmed that she plans to resume working after returning from her extended vacation.

It's always emotional when those hosts leave the show. We can't help but feel a sense of loss, as if a part of our family has been taken away. We will miss you, Tracy!

Sponsored
For years, we've enjoyed watching our favourite TV shows. And for years, we've gotten attached to the hosts who've made those shows possible.

After 17 years of hosting A Current Affair, 62-year-old TV legend Tracy Grimshaw has announced that she will bid farewell to the show.

The 62-year-old TV icon broke the news in a moving speech at the end of Monday's episode.

Grimshaw said: 'Normally right about now we’d be telling you what to expect tomorrow night but lately, I’ve personally been thinking long term, and I have some news that I wanted you to hear from me before you hear it from anyone else.'

'It’s been a big decision and before the gossip websites start telling you rubbish, I want you to know it’s been my decision alone and I’m not being shoved out the door by the boys club because I’m too old.'

'I’m not too old, I’m just a bit tired. And for the record, both the boys and the girls have asked me to stay.'

Grimshaw said she's been thinking about her future lately and decided it's time to move on.

'I've been a shift worker for 26 years, driving to work before dawn for nine years on the Today Show, and the past 17 years driving home after dark here on A Current Affair and it's time for less of that daily obligation,' she told the viewers.

Grimshaw started her career on TV back in 1971, when she was just a kid. She's since interviewed people from all walks of life, and says she's been lucky to have such a long and successful career.

'You've let me indulge my love of interviewing here. I've talked to people who've made us all laugh and cry, who've shared their triumphs and their challenges and their wisdom and despair,' she said.

Grimshaw will be on the show until November, after which she plans to take a long holiday.

Director of News and Current Affairs at Nine, Darren Wick, referred to Grimshaw as 'an inspiration' to work with.

'She is doing it on her own terms on her own timetable. Just as she has done throughout her whole career. And sadness because she is irreplaceable.'

'I know we work in an industry where it’s often said that anyone can be replaced. But that’s not true with Trace. She is one of a kind.'

JgX6RT-RXH5TxnLd2LcfurrgiMjjH30OHbtYM-3YtvFRLaQbti0j8UuTR6SiiKFx-F6g-BFt-dGN3DAySVlBbXH3vn9jAjj9fA2WmhMmrGuC9g2bMMwaRAQmfdYHVm1pBcYeFpiOqWIbQJ2lVSOjo1nGDYnaoYWNuvu64tUbl9bPRY8SLSPM0WpC

Grimshaw confirmed that she plans to resume working after returning from her extended vacation.

It's always emotional when those hosts leave the show. We can't help but feel a sense of loss, as if a part of our family has been taken away. We will miss you, Tracy!

Sorry, but how is this a ‘shocking’ announcement?????? The woman is 62 & has had enough! All that needs to be said really!!

Hats off to anyone working in the media, you have to live your life in a goldfish bowl, everyone feels they know you as you're in their lounge rooms every day and that it's therefore ok to intrude into your downtime. Woe betide you if you look anything less than your best, there's always someone willing to put you down.;)

Good luck with your future endeavours Tracy, ACA will not be the same without you. You have proved you don’t need to be young and a model to be the best on tv. Thank you 💐

Reactions: Ricci
When I was working over the age of 60 people asked me if I was going to retire. I told them my body would tell me when I am ready. 2 years later it told me ! Tracy’s body is talking to her ! Good luck Tracy and enjoy your retirement. 💐💐

Sorry, but how is this a ‘shocking’ announcement?????? The woman is 62 & has had enough! All that needs to be said really!!
I think she didn't come across announcing it as a shock announcement but rather wanting to let everyone know that after 17 years that she needed to step down.

When you are in media like she is rumours start , she was fired ! She us sick and so on I think it was great she announced it herself before stupid rumours started.

It also gives the people who watch her time to applaud her for the work she has done

Reactions: Ricci