Elderly couple's $47,000 holiday nightmare leads to a ban from Flight Centre

Everyone knows that travel can sometimes have its hiccups. Delayed flights, lost luggage, booking issues—we've heard it all. However, the story we're about to share truly takes the cake, showing us that even a trip worth $47,000 can go horribly wrong.

Avid travellers Mary and Cliff Johnson—aged 79 and 81, respectively—found themselves in a distressing situation when the tours they booked were cancelled, which led to an unexpected ‘ban’ from Flight Centre.

The Johnsons, who have been loyal customers of Flight Centre for about a decade, had planned an extensive four-month trip to Canada, the US and Turkey, which cost $47,000.

However, the cancellation of the latter two tours left them stranded in unwanted locations for extended periods of time. The couple had to scramble to make alternative arrangements, adding stress to what should have been a relaxing holiday.

vidar-nordli-mathisen-loTTPqOed7c-unsplash.jpg
Mary and Cliff Johnson booked three tours costing $47,000 with Flight Centre, but two were cancelled. Credit: Vidar Nordli-Mathisen/Unsplash

Flight Centre initially informed the couple that they had opted for 'non-guaranteed departures' for the tours, which meant they were 'accepting the risk of the tour being cancelled by the tour company'.

However, Mrs Johnson vehemently denied this, stating they had 'no idea' about this risk and were 'never told'. She added that they would not have spent $26,000 on tours that weren't guaranteed.

The trip was a 'very big disappointment' for the Johnsons, and the subsequent months were filled with stressful negotiations with Flight Centre to secure refunds.

But, the real shock came in October when they received an email from a senior member at Flight Centre Tweed City. The email suggested it would be 'best for all parties' if the Johnsons used their credit at another store.

The email read:

Hi Mary,

I hope you and Kip are well. I have processed your refund, and once you complete the details, it will be in your account within 5 days. We feel it’s best for all parties that you use your credit at a different Flight Centre, so unfortunately, the team at Tweed will be unable to help [with] any future bookings.

I will be more than happy to recommend another store for you, though.

Kind regards,
The email was an 'absolute surprise' to the couple, who hadn't visited the store since returning from their trip in August. All their communication with Flight Centre had been via email and phone. Mrs Johnson felt that she and her husband were being discriminated against.

The situation took a turn when journalists approached Flight Centre for comment. The Johnsons received an email from another senior member at the Tweed City store, retracting the decision not to assist the couple with future bookings.

‘I’m sorry if there was any confusion on you being able to book in-store with us—we thought that you would prefer to deal with another store, but we would love the opportunity to help you with your next booking,’ the email stated.

However, the Johnsons were left confused when the team member introduced themselves as the travel agent who helped them book their last trip to New Zealand, a country the couple had never visited.

In a statement, Flight Centre Australia General Manager Brent Novak apologised on behalf of the staff member who had directed the Johnsons to book their future travel with another Flight Centre store.

‘This is not our company policy, Flight Centre would only bar people from a store in exceptional circumstances. We regret that this communication was made and the hurt it understandably caused the Johnsons,’ he said.

Adam Glezer of Consumer Champion, advocating for the Johnsons, said he had 'never seen anything like this'. He criticised Flight Centre for only reaching out to the Johnsons when contacted by a news source and found it 'disconcerting' that the store workers claimed the Johnsons had been confused.

‘Treating anybody like this, let alone elderly people is unconscionable,’ Glezer stated. ‘They have spent a significant amount of money on a trip, and all they wanted was answers.’

He added: ‘They have been loyal to the Flight Centre store for 10 years and out of the blue were told they were not welcome, for no good reason.’

Glezer urged the company to conduct a full investigation on the matter.

The Johnsons' ordeal raised several questions about the travel industry's practices and how they impact consumers. How common are 'non-guaranteed departures'? What rights do consumers have when tours are cancelled? How can travel companies improve their communication and customer service? These are issues that deserve further exploration and discussion.

Key Takeaways
  • An elderly Australian couple were told not to return to their local Flight Centre after a $47,000 trip was filled with issues.
  • The couple booked three tours across Canada, the US and Turkey, however, the latter two were cancelled, leading to other arrangement issues.
  • The couple received an email in October 'banning' them from booking future trips at their local store.
  • After a news source approached Flight Centre for comment, the couple received an email from a senior member at the store reversing the decision and offering to help with their next booking.

What are your thoughts on this situation, members? Have you ever experienced something similar? Share your experiences and insights in the comments below.

Sponsored
Everyone knows that travel can sometimes have its hiccups. Delayed flights, lost luggage, booking issues—we've heard it all. However, the story we're about to share truly takes the cake, showing us that even a trip worth $47,000 can go horribly wrong.

Avid travellers Mary and Cliff Johnson—aged 79 and 81, respectively—found themselves in a distressing situation when the tours they booked were cancelled, which led to an unexpected ‘ban’ from Flight Centre.

The Johnsons, who have been loyal customers of Flight Centre for about a decade, had planned an extensive four-month trip to Canada, the US and Turkey, which cost $47,000.

However, the cancellation of the latter two tours left them stranded in unwanted locations for extended periods of time. The couple had to scramble to make alternative arrangements, adding stress to what should have been a relaxing holiday.

View attachment 34501
Mary and Cliff Johnson booked three tours costing $47,000 with Flight Centre, but two were cancelled. Credit: Vidar Nordli-Mathisen/Unsplash

Flight Centre initially informed the couple that they had opted for 'non-guaranteed departures' for the tours, which meant they were 'accepting the risk of the tour being cancelled by the tour company'.

However, Mrs Johnson vehemently denied this, stating they had 'no idea' about this risk and were 'never told'. She added that they would not have spent $26,000 on tours that weren't guaranteed.

The trip was a 'very big disappointment' for the Johnsons, and the subsequent months were filled with stressful negotiations with Flight Centre to secure refunds.

But, the real shock came in October when they received an email from a senior member at Flight Centre Tweed City. The email suggested it would be 'best for all parties' if the Johnsons used their credit at another store.

The email read:

The email was an 'absolute surprise' to the couple, who hadn't visited the store since returning from their trip in August. All their communication with Flight Centre had been via email and phone. Mrs Johnson felt that she and her husband were being discriminated against.

The situation took a turn when journalists approached Flight Centre for comment. The Johnsons received an email from another senior member at the Tweed City store, retracting the decision not to assist the couple with future bookings.

‘I’m sorry if there was any confusion on you being able to book in-store with us—we thought that you would prefer to deal with another store, but we would love the opportunity to help you with your next booking,’ the email stated.

However, the Johnsons were left confused when the team member introduced themselves as the travel agent who helped them book their last trip to New Zealand, a country the couple had never visited.

In a statement, Flight Centre Australia General Manager Brent Novak apologised on behalf of the staff member who had directed the Johnsons to book their future travel with another Flight Centre store.

‘This is not our company policy, Flight Centre would only bar people from a store in exceptional circumstances. We regret that this communication was made and the hurt it understandably caused the Johnsons,’ he said.

Adam Glezer of Consumer Champion, advocating for the Johnsons, said he had 'never seen anything like this'. He criticised Flight Centre for only reaching out to the Johnsons when contacted by a news source and found it 'disconcerting' that the store workers claimed the Johnsons had been confused.

‘Treating anybody like this, let alone elderly people is unconscionable,’ Glezer stated. ‘They have spent a significant amount of money on a trip, and all they wanted was answers.’

He added: ‘They have been loyal to the Flight Centre store for 10 years and out of the blue were told they were not welcome, for no good reason.’

The Johnsons' ordeal raised several questions about the travel industry's practices and how they impact consumers. How common are 'non-guaranteed departures'? What rights do consumers have when tours are cancelled? How can travel companies improve their communication and customer service? These are issues that deserve further exploration and discussion.

Key Takeaways

• An elderly Australian couple were told not to return to their local Flight Centre after a $47,000 trip was filled with issues.
  • The couple booked three tours across Canada, the US and Turkey, however, the latter two were cancelled, leading to other arrangement issues.
  • The couple received an email in October 'banning' them from booking future trips at their local store.
  • After a news source approached Flight Centre for comment, the couple received an email from a senior member at the store reversing the decision and offering to help with their next booking.

What are your thoughts on this situation, members? Have you ever experienced something similar? Share your experiences and insights in the comments below.

I too had problems with my local Flight Centre store. The price given for flights was increased by more than 10% as I did not confirm it before the end of day. This condition was not told to me, even though I said that I had to check the dates with other travellers before booking. Details were sent twice to the wrong email address which made it impossible for me to confirm within the time frame. The second one was after I had given the correct email again. The store would take no responsibility for the error. My response is to deal now with a different company.

View attachment 34501

The email read:

Key Takeaways

We lost flights we paid for pre COVID that we couldn’t take due to covid, when we asked for a refund they told us that they had expired. We were never notified that the flights had a use by date… we couldn’t use them during COVID and they where refundable flights.

We had a really bad experience with our local Flight Centre and, when they finally reimbursed our money…which took 12 months….the manager of that store accidentally deposited the amount into our account twice and she rang and demanded I transfer the amount back immediately or she would take action! The whole experience, from what happened while we were away to receiving our refund, was traumatic and we would not and have not ever used or recommended Flight Centre to anybody again.

Things can clearly go wrong when you make travel plans from time of booking to time of travel. But what this type of case highlights is the total lack of respect for the customer by the agency. No customers no agency no job is the bottom line.
After their total gaff, and it would appear they may have confused them in the end with another customer, I would not be dealing with Flight centre again. Refund please and I will find another travel agent who is happy to do business with us.

Reactions: BRIAN KK and Ezzy
Having met a member of Flight Centre's senior management through a mutual friend years ago, I would not trust this organisation to book a train ticket from Dandenong to Clayton. The woman was a total tosser whose entire conversation revolved around how great Flight Centre is as a company to the extent that she was a walking talking advertisement. She even mentioned that Alan Joyce was gay "but don't tell anybody I told you". Thanks for the scoop....the media reported on this when Joyce first become Jetstar's CEO over 20 years ago.

Like many suspect organisations, Flight Centre brainwashes and indoctrinates their staff during training. Having been employed by such an entity in the past, I gladly accepted my dismissal by refusing to bow down to their ways and whims. That company was Amazon who hired me as a contractor during the setup of their south eastern Melbourne warehouse.

Avoid Flight Centre like the plaque.

We had a really bad experience with our local Flight Centre and, when they finally reimbursed our money…which took 12 months….the manager of that store accidentally deposited the amount into our account twice and she rang and demanded I transfer the amount back immediately or she would take action! The whole experience, from what happened while we were away to receiving our refund, was traumatic and we would not and have not ever used or recommended Flight Centre to anybody again.
so did you also take 12mths to refund the over payment?

There are 2 sides to this story. Did the couple have travel insurance? Surely if you book a holiday for that amount of money you would have the best travel insurance. Being the age they are, I know travel insurance would have been expensive. If they had travel insurance they could have got the money back through them. Having tours cancelled, it seems strange that Flight Centre didn't try to get them another 2 tours or return home flights and return them some of the money. It's like we are only getting a small portion of this story.

Reactions: AlanQ
There are 2 sides to this story. Did the couple have travel insurance? Surely if you book a holiday for that amount of money you would have the best travel insurance. Being the age they are, I know travel insurance would have been expensive. If they had travel insurance they could have got the money back through them. Having tours cancelled, it seems strange that Flight Centre didn't try to get them another 2 tours or return home flights and return them some of the money. It's like we are only getting a small portion of this story.
Not sure if one of them was 81 then or now, if then, would find it difficult to find travel insurance coverage if there are any underlying (pre existing) health issues. But totally agree, there's more to this than being shown here. Possibly didn't understand what was meant by the non guaranteed departures clause.

Reactions: Babbie

View attachment 34501

The email read:

Key Takeaways

In all my travels I have done everything myself. and to date no dramas.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
I was booked on the wrong flight with Flight Centre. Luckily i noticed it before we flew. However they took no responsibility for the blunder and we had to pay an extra $250 each to change the flights.

• Wow
Reactions: BRIAN KK

View attachment 34501

The email read:

Key Takeaways

View attachment 34501

The email read:

Key Takeaways

There are other travel agents better as I found after the Mentone VIC agent I found after canceling a very big travel itinerary I think some of the people employed are not suitable for Flight Centre

During Covid Flight Centre was one business that was mentioned on several occasions. They refused refunds to many people who had booked holidays and were cancelled due to Covid. After that I wouldn't even consider booking a holiday through them.

Reactions: Ezzy
We lost flights we paid for pre COVID that we couldn’t take due to covid, when we asked for a refund they told us that they had expired. We were never notified that the flights had a use by date… we couldn’t use them during COVID and they where refundable flights.
I am in the same position I have to use my flight credit within the next month. I asked if I could use for a up grade in January, NO, purchase something through Virgin NO, I looked into doing a quick weekend trip but the extra costs is not worth it this time of year plus acc & car hire.

View attachment 34501

The email read:

Key Takeaways

I won’t deal with Flight Centre anymore. I too have been caught in their web of smoke and mirrors. They have sneaky ways of keeping your money when things go awry which causes upset and angst having to fight to get the money back. Those poor people having to worry about that large sum of money and then the lies as well. Bad bad attitude Flight Centre.

• Angry
Reactions: Caroline257