Eggs-traordinary controversy: Social media chef scrambles traditional cooking with her recipe

In the digital age, social media platforms have become influential spaces for sharing innovative culinary techniques and recipes.

However, not all cooking methods garner universal acclaim, as evidenced by the recent controversy sparked by an online chef's unconventional approach to preparing a breakfast staple.

This incident highlights the intersection of traditional cooking practices and modern culinary trends, as well as the passionate reactions that arise when established norms are challenged.

The humble scrambled egg, a dish so simple yet so easy to get wrong, has been at the centre of a recent social media uproar.

Bethany, the American amateur chef behind the handle @lilsipper_official, shared a video that showcases her avant-garde approach to achieving what she claimed are the ‘fluffiest scrambled eggs’.

Her method? Boiling the eggs in water. Yes, you read that correctly. Instead of the traditional pan-fry that we're all accustomed to, Bethany poured whisked eggs into a pot of boiling water, instructing her followers to ‘let them cook gently’ until they reach the desired consistency.

photo (13).jpg
Bethany (@lilsipper_official), a social media chef, sparked controversy with her unique method of making ‘fluffy’ scrambled eggs. Credits: Tiktok / @lilsipper_official

The result, as depicted in the video, is a concoction that resembles a large omelette at first before transforming into what Bethany describes as a ‘dripping mountain of egg’.

‘It's almost impossible to overcook your eggs so you get the perfect eggs every time,’ she stated as she drained the water from her thoroughly soaked eggs.

‘It's like an egg drop soup technique, but you're actually making scrambled eggs.’

The reaction to this unorthodox recipe has been as mixed as the eggs themselves. While some viewers were intrigued by the novelty, others were downright horrified to see water dripping from the cooked eggs.

Comments range from the humorous—‘Not even salt and pepper?! Who hurt you?’—to the critical, with one user lamenting, ‘As someone who makes scrambled eggs almost every day, this hurts me.’

‘Is cooking oil that expensive that you have to use water?’ a third questioned.

Another quipped, ‘Boiled eggs scrambled unseasoned is diabolical.’

Despite the backlash, it's worth noting that Bethany is no stranger to the food scene.

With a cookbook under her belt and a food podcast titled Digest This, she amassed a following of 1.3 million on Instagram, where she promotes recipes aimed at ‘healthy’ and ‘digestive health’.

This also wasn’t the first time egg preparation methods caused a stir online.

Last summer, a video revealing how scrambled eggs are made in bulk at hotels—often from pre-made mixtures in plastic bags—left 20 million viewers with a bad taste in their mouths.

The video showed a cook microwaving and then baking the bagged eggs before serving them, prompting disgust and warnings from viewers to stick to fresh options.

In stark contrast to these controversial methods, Lee Holmes, a holistic chef, shared a more traditional and palatable recipe that was reportedly used to make scrambled eggs for the late Queen Elizabeth.

The Australian cook revealed that the recipe was given to her by a close friend who had worked as a royal chef.

This recipe included refined touches such as nutmeg, lemon rind, and chopped kippers, elevating the dish to a royal standard.

You can watch Bethany’s full video here:

Source: Tiktok / @lilsipper_official

The debate over unconventional cooking methods, as sparked by Bethany's unique scrambled egg recipe, has reignited interest in perfecting this breakfast staple.

While some techniques may raise eyebrows, others have earned widespread acclaim.

This brings us to the insights from Australian celebrity chef Dan Churchill, who shared his expert tips for making the perfect scrambled eggs.

By comparing these differing approaches, we can explore a range of strategies to elevate this classic dish.
Key Takeaways

• A social media content creator named Bethany (@lilsipper_official) sparked controversy with her unique method for making ‘fluffy’ scrambled eggs by boiling them in water.
  • The unusual technique involved pouring whisked eggs into boiling water and letting them cook until solid, which she claimed makes it nearly impossible to overcook the eggs.
  • Social media users expressed horror and disbelief at the method, especially due to the lack of seasoning and the appearance of waterlogged eggs.
  • Despite criticism, Bethany has a large following for her health-focused recipes aimed at digestive health, and she has authored a cookbook and hosted a food podcast.
Have you tried any unconventional cooking methods that have raised eyebrows but delighted your taste buds? Or do you believe in the sanctity of traditional cooking techniques? We invite you to share your thoughts on this egg-citing debate in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Sorry folks, but I do scrambled eggs the same way my Scottish grandmother made them, and it's not with oil or in a frying pan; it's in a pot with melted butter, whisked eggs and salt and pepper. You have to keep stirring so it doesn't stick to the pot. If you add grated cheese you get Welsh rarebit 😆 I'm 85, my grandmother was born in 1872 so I think she used the traditional method (no one used oil back then), which always turns out fluffy.
Pretty much how I cook them as well. My grandmother taught me

Whatever floats your boat….but I will be making my scrambled eggs 🍳 the traditional way….
Although I do prefer poached eggs over scrambled and will not eat fried eggs!!

Reactions: DLHM and Penny4
Whatever floats your boat….but I will be making my scrambled eggs 🍳 the traditional way….
Although I do prefer poached eggs over scrambled and will not eat fried eggs!!
Same as me. I must be odd though, as I've always used my Sunbeam egg cooker. Works perfectly every time.

My favourite cooked eggs are scrambled the way I do it, which is the common way, I think. Also I like fried, boiled and poached but the yolk must be cooked solid. Can’t stand runny yolks.🤢
Me too - No runny egg yolks or semi transparent yolks for me either. If I eat scrambled eggs out I ask for well-done and fried eggs have to be ‘dead’. And I actually ask for them in those words.

• Haha
Reactions: Littleboy8 and DLHM
The way we love our scrambled eggs at home - some melted butter to fry up an amount of very finely diced onion, some green chilli also finely diced and fried, then add the VERY well beaten eggs with a little milk and salt and pepper to taste. I do not like to see amounts of egg white separated from the yolk. AND, yes, it must be well cooked (dried up somewhat). Not everyone’s style but we love it.

Guess it’s each to his own, whatever floats your boat. No two people have the same tastes and likes in anything; my husband loves his fried eggs with runny yolks and it took me years to do that without breaking the yolks!

Reactions: DLHM
Don’t knock my version until you’ve tried it - to us it’s different but delicious.

Reactions: DLHM