Easy tricks to keep your snacks from going stale, including one nifty kitchen gadget

There is no worse experience than biting into a stale chip that you’ve been saving for since last night. It can leave you wondering where you went wrong, asking questions like: did I leave the bag open? Should I have stored it in the fridge? I don’t have chip clips, does the roll-up method not work anymore?

We know all too well the experience of losing the leftovers of your favourite snack to the stale plague, so that’s why we shared this tried-and-tested hack of freshening up stale bread today.

This time, we’re about to reveal a nifty kitchen gadget that has one job, and it does it well. Introducing the mini bag sealer!

toJsynZLqPeBx58HgEUcMdpZF8k_Go1z7Yu7ZHwuR_iw3Qb1uV3H7Gxavo3ZFUyUrfO9zS1ZwH66wnIGnShe_oAvhDDMM8i2fAyLn6M_-iRmgLnp4-xNURXEzwc5X604amBO0xhX

This stapler-like device seals your chip bags. Credit: TikTok/@lindsayroggenbuck.

Earlier this month, one TikTok user shared a video to her 780,000 followers about a kitchen gadget designed to save your favourite snacks from going stale.

“This is the coolest thing, you’re gonna love this,” said Lindsay, showing the 2-in-1 portable handheld bag sealer and cutter she bought from Amazon.

The mini bag sealer works by heating up a part of the snack bag so you can stop the chips from going stale. Perfect for those who can’t finish the whole bag in one sitting! Or, you know, those grandkids who are itching to open the bag, only for most of them to go to waste…

On the other side, it has a mini blade that can be used to perfectly open snack bags. No more exploding chips!

But if you can’t wait for your order to come home and you want to save your chips now at this moment, here are a few hacks to save them from going stale!

The first tip is to make sure you roll your chip bag right.

If you have been simply rolling up the bag's opening without any sort of thought, it turns out there is a better way to do it – all you need is a paper binder clip.

By pressing down the bag before folding, you’re making sure there is the least amount of air possible inside.

Then, fold the opening into a triangle in the middle. After this, you just fold the tip over and over until the bag’s tightly sealed. Finish by clipping the binder clip in the middle.

But if you don’t have any extra office clips lying around the house, you can follow this video below!

Credit: SmartLife.

Now that your bag of chips is all rolled up and sealed, it’s now ready for storage. And nope, it’s not where you think it should be.

If you’re looking to enjoy your chips (especially those family-sized ones) for a longer period of time, the kitchen pantry may not be the best place to store them. You might want to consider putting them in the freezer.

Yes, the freezer! It might seem odd at first, but it’s probably the driest place in your kitchen, and chips sure love dry places.

Don’t worry, your chips won't totally freeze; they'll just get really cold. They are dried and moisture-less, after all, so any water left in there won’t be enough to ‘freeze’ them, per se.

At this point, you’re probably wondering: “All of these tricks are to prevent my chips from going stale. But what if they already are?”

The solution’s pretty simple, actually. Just pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds on High and all the moisture that made your chips stale will dry out, returning your chips to the state they were when you first opened the bag!

Do you have more chip-saving hacks and tricks? Share them with us and some of our members might just use them come movie night!

Sponsored
It seems counter intuitive to put chips in the freezer but I'm willing to give it a go next time I have an open packet, and I never knew about nuking them if they were stale.

Whatever happened to good old Tupperware, works every time for us, buy the large bags (cheaper) store excess in sealed container, then good for days. :p

Reactions: Ricci