Dyson alerts customers against following a trending TikTok cleaning hack – “Please DON’T do it!”

Not all viral TikTok hacks are equal. Some result in more harm than good, so it’s best to keep an eye out for all sorts of feedback to determine whether or not they are actually effective.

Dyson recently issued a warning after a TikTok video took the internet by storm, suggesting that owners of their vacuum cleaners should use ‘fake’ mop heads to clean their floors.

Content creator Christian Hull was the user behind the viral clip, demonstrating how to use the attachment to clean his floor.

“Life-changing find – an unofficial Dyson mop head attachment,” he can be heard saying in the footage. “Don’t mind me, just using the Dyson with a mop head attachment! Shut the front door.”

umjImJ64Ip44ettnw8PBC0Bro4uXGOJ-kwWlJtsa5lpJt7OvlBFODJ9pEO2VTWykyefnTLm5GyBVoP8EtgHzV0vLt-2-JSLQ4kllxiWg1LKnfs0uuZtbnc1fiAQ6_GPHfqdesilXMAKFHaMvdg
gkjxD0vLkyj6OL1XNZsNSYFsWlJMSaTu-11sxkFkGcvSmj65iEpz-MsJ-laDeADKezhdEvqpDMIsbXbJ0fZKlxSiuPWitoOTENDrTWgmqeqJ0X920CZgG1haYjlrF9gZR7PTfvKLeowbMCMTIA

The controversial counterfeit mop head. Image Credit: @christianmhull

He went on to explain that he had seen other people raving about the imitation attachment, adding that it works by taking out the vacuum’s regular brush head and replaces it with a mop that you can add water to.

“You fill the top little compartment with water and it just sort of drips,” he said. “You turn that little red switch and it starts dripping and you just use it.”

Hull rated the $65 mop head “an eight out of 10”, saying that he “really enjoyed this”.

Users were immediately drawn to the hack, expressing how ‘obsessed’ they were with the cleaning tip and that they needed to get their hands on the attachment ‘now’.

Trigger warning: The video contains strong language. We highly recommend you skip the video if this makes you uncomfortable or leave it on mute.

Video Credit: @christianmhull

But among thousands of positive comments on the video, which has clocked over 663k views, were dozens of people warning Hull to resist the urge to use the attachment again.

“Apparently they are really bad for the Dyson. I want to get one but lots of people have been saying that.” one shared.

“So many people’s Dysons no longer work from these,” added another, to which someone responded: “They’re not designed for wet vacuuming so this is 100 percent a bad idea.”

“I ruined mine. Please DON’T do it!” begged a third.

“These can get water into the main unit and void your warranty,” one person, who claimed that they used to work for the electrical store Good Guys, explained.

A spokesperson for Dyson confirmed that the company “is aware of third party accessories being sold.”

“We do not recommend the usage of any third party, non-genuine tool attachments with Dyson machines as they have not been tested to our reliability and safety standards,” the spokesperson said.

“Any damage caused by these non-genuine tools will not be covered under the Dyson guarantee.”

Ji6474t_Nz-n1u-KEB-Hm0VITmsDaj1jzuQIUusGyDiIRN-fOBDJI-dAepnQWa4fIhEFXWyducf-JwmCIbiJ-ITXn1-hUDVUzuo639Jw6Vbg1RrgYZI7CIzaZ2D0X-Ooc0AlY-pwAj5QttZdFg

Dyson disapproves of the ‘fake’ attachment. Image Credit: AliExpress

A quick way to spot fake Dyson products is by simply being aware that counterfeit dealers sell their products through fake websites or online marketplaces.

If you’ve been on the internet long enough, then chances are you’ve come across fake websites before. They are typically promoted on social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram and they usually don’t include any contact information on them whatsoever.

According to Dyson, counterfeit dealers will attempt to convince consumers that they are selling authentic products by:

1. Refusing to use images of the product they are actually selling (and hiding behind official Dyson imagery)
2. Offering suspicious discounts on the prices
3. Claiming that the product is genuine because it can be registered on Dyson’s website (or imitating Dyson language).

“Beware – if a deal seems too good to be true, it usually is. As with all online shopping, it’s important to exercise caution and only buy goods from trusted, secure websites.” they added.

“Checking if the URL of the webpage is ‘Dyson.com’ (or a local equivalent of the website and an authorised retail partner) is a good starting point.”

For further support or advice, you may reach out to the Dyson Customer Care team directly.

Don’t believe every hack you see on the internet, folks! What are your thoughts on this story? Share them with us in the comments!

Sponsored
I can see why people would want to try out this TikTok cleaning hack, but I think it's important to listen to Dyson's warning and avoid it. After all, using a fake mop head could damage your vacuum cleaner and even create a safety hazard. Speaking of TikTok, have you guys heard of the best hashtags for TikTok? I recently started using them to get more views on my videos and it's been working pretty well so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci