Dyson’s new air-purifying headphones are ingenious and strange – but also come at a hefty price

Here at the SDC, we're always on the lookout for new gadgets and devices that can make our lives a little easier – especially when it comes to products that promote good health and well-being.

So we were excited to hear about Dyson's latest invention, but do you think it’s worth the expensive price tag?

Dyson, a British tech company, just announced the release of its latest product – a pair of noise-cancelling headphones that also purify the air around you as you breathe.

The Dyson Zone is set to hit shelves in China in January and in March in the US, UK, Hong Kong SAR, and Singapore. There’s no scheduled date yet for its release here in Australia, but we have a pretty good idea of how much it will cost us...and it isn’t cheap.

The new Dyson Zone air-purifying headphones will set you back a whopping USD $949 (which converts to roughly AUD $1400), making them one of the most expensive pairs of headphones on the market.

dyson.jpg
It looks like the product came straight from a dystopian novel. Credit: Dyson

Tech fans have expressed their shock and disappointment at the exorbitant price tag, pointing out that this latest release from Dyson costs almost double the price of the latest Apple Airpods, (AUD $899).

While there's no guarantee that Australian shoppers will be charged the same price as our American counterparts, in the past, there has been very little difference in recommended retail prices between Dyson products in Australia and other countries.

Many shared their stance on the product, with some pointing out that nations across the globe were in the ‘grip of a cost-of-living crisis’, which caused basic goods to soar to terrifying prices.

‘What a ridiculous price in this climate,’ shared one.

But what does Dyson’s new product do, exactly? Well, here’s everything you need to know about the world’s first ‘air purifying’ headphones.

Battery life: Shoppers get a whopping 50 hours of charge on these headphones, which is like going on a flight around the world. However, if the air purification feature is turned on, the battery life goes down to 4 hours.

Noise cancelling: The product boasts 11 microphones, and eight of them are used to reduce external sounds by as much as 38 decibels.

Air filtration on the go: There’s a detachable visor that projects purified air straight to the wearer’s nose and mouth. It looks like a gadget straight from a dystopian novel but hey, the manufacturers say the filters can remove pollutants as small as 0.1 microns.

dyson2.jpg
The headphones are said to be ‘scientifically tuned’ to hear in ‘more detail’. Credit: Dyson

It is believed that Dyson created these headphones as a ‘response’ to the global pollution problem.

’Ninety-nine per cent of the world’s population live in areas that exceed the World Health Organisation’s safe levels for pollution,’ said the brand.

‘Noise pollution is also a problem,’ they added.

However, the scientific explanation has done very little to quell criticisms, and some stated that anyone willing to wear these will look ‘ridiculous’.

Others welcomed the invention, including those in the travel and automotive industries.

‘I know the Dyson Zone looks incredibly stupid to most people. However, for those who work in the automotive industry, such as myself, this is amazing,’ explained one.

Dyson first announced their invention a couple of months ago. You can watch their launch video below:

Key Takeaways

• Dyson's new air-purifying headphones are set to be released in January in China and March in the US, UK, Hong Kong SAR and Singapore.
  • The price of the divisive product has been kept under wraps but has now been disclosed in the US, and it’s caused a few jaws to drop.
  • The air purifying headphones will cost American buyers $US949 – which at current exchange rates equates to roughly $1400 in Australia.
  • Many felt outraged at the price, especially since there is a global inflation crisis that’s causing basic goods and services to rise to terrifying amounts.
  • Others, especially those who work in the automotive and travel industries, are looking forward to the new invention.
What can you say about this gadget, members? Do you think the air purifying aspect is worth the headphones’ price tag? Or would a headphones plus mask combo do the job for you?

Sponsored
I wouldn't buy it. I spent almost $1000 on a Dyson vac a few years. To vac the carpets you need to put it up to the higher power level which lasts about 7 mins and then takes hours to recharge.
My daughter-in-law's $100 vac from Big W does a better job.
Agreed, my stick dyson doesn't do nearly as good a job as my old electrolux

Reactions: Ricci and Penny4
My Bose Quiet Comfort noise cancelling headphones cost me $200 and I thought that was OTT. The ones from Dyson look totally ridiculous, I wouldn't be game enough to wear them! ;)

Reactions: Gaena and Penny4
Agreed, my stick dyson doesn't do nearly as good a job as my old electrolux
Dyson rely on their name and reputation for good/well made products to entice people to pay over the top prices for something that probably will not work any better than a cheaper product. I gave my husband my last Dyson vacc for use in his shed it was hopeless at cleaning the carpets so out it went. I have seen and heard more bad things than good about Dyson products so will now stay well clear of them. And those Headphones you have to be kidding me!! The designers are watching too much science fiction.

Reactions: Ricci
Dyson rely on their name and reputation for good/well made products to entice people to pay over the top prices for something that probably will not work any better than a cheaper product. I gave my husband my last Dyson vacc for use in his shed it was hopeless at cleaning the carpets so out it went. I have seen and heard more bad things than good about Dyson products so will now stay well clear of them. And those Headphones you have to be kidding me!! The designers are watching too much science fiction.
Okay, so which brands are reputable when my Dyson dies for me to buy?

I have started using LG and Miele really happy with the performance of both, bit pricy though
Yes, I won't buy Miele as some people have issues as well as Dyson with their well known name too. I will ask one of my friends who owned a Miele stick vac though.
But will look into LG thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaena and Ricci
Here at the SDC, we're always on the lookout for new gadgets and devices that can make our lives a little easier – especially when it comes to products that promote good health and well-being.

So we were excited to hear about Dyson's latest invention, but do you think it’s worth the expensive price tag?

Dyson, a British tech company, just announced the release of its latest product – a pair of noise-cancelling headphones that also purify the air around you as you breathe.

The Dyson Zone is set to hit shelves in China in January and in March in the US, UK, Hong Kong SAR, and Singapore. There’s no scheduled date yet for its release here in Australia, but we have a pretty good idea of how much it will cost us...and it isn’t cheap.

The new Dyson Zone air-purifying headphones will set you back a whopping USD $949 (which converts to roughly AUD $1400), making them one of the most expensive pairs of headphones on the market.

View attachment 10319
It looks like the product came straight from a dystopian novel. Credit: Dyson

Tech fans have expressed their shock and disappointment at the exorbitant price tag, pointing out that this latest release from Dyson costs almost double the price of the latest Apple Airpods, (AUD $899).

While there's no guarantee that Australian shoppers will be charged the same price as our American counterparts, in the past, there has been very little difference in recommended retail prices between Dyson products in Australia and other countries.

Many shared their stance on the product, with some pointing out that nations across the globe were in the ‘grip of a cost-of-living crisis’, which caused basic goods to soar to terrifying prices.

‘What a ridiculous price in this climate,’ shared one.

But what does Dyson’s new product do, exactly? Well, here’s everything you need to know about the world’s first ‘air purifying’ headphones.

Battery life: Shoppers get a whopping 50 hours of charge on these headphones, which is like going on a flight around the world. However, if the air purification feature is turned on, the battery life goes down to 4 hours.

Noise cancelling: The product boasts 11 microphones, and eight of them are used to reduce external sounds by as much as 38 decibels.

Air filtration on the go: There’s a detachable visor that projects purified air straight to the wearer’s nose and mouth. It looks like a gadget straight from a dystopian novel but hey, the manufacturers say the filters can remove pollutants as small as 0.1 microns.

View attachment 10320
The headphones are said to be ‘scientifically tuned’ to hear in ‘more detail’. Credit: Dyson

It is believed that Dyson created these headphones as a ‘response’ to the global pollution problem.

’Ninety-nine per cent of the world’s population live in areas that exceed the World Health Organisation’s safe levels for pollution,’ said the brand.

‘Noise pollution is also a problem,’ they added.

However, the scientific explanation has done very little to quell criticisms, and some stated that anyone willing to wear these will look ‘ridiculous’.

Others welcomed the invention, including those in the travel and automotive industries.

‘I know the Dyson Zone looks incredibly stupid to most people. However, for those who work in the automotive industry, such as myself, this is amazing,’ explained one.

Dyson first announced their invention a couple of months ago. You can watch their launch video below:

Key Takeaways

• Dyson's new air-purifying headphones are set to be released in January in China and March in the US, UK, Hong Kong SAR and Singapore.
  • The price of the divisive product has been kept under wraps but has now been disclosed in the US, and it’s caused a few jaws to drop.
  • The air purifying headphones will cost American buyers $US949 – which at current exchange rates equates to roughly $1400 in Australia.
  • Many felt outraged at the price, especially since there is a global inflation crisis that’s causing basic goods and services to rise to terrifying amounts.
  • Others, especially those who work in the automotive and travel industries, are looking forward to the new invention.
What can you say about this gadget, members? Do you think the air purifying aspect is worth the headphones’ price tag? Or would a headphones plus mask combo do the job for you?

There’s no scheduled date yet for its release here in Australia, but we have a pretty good idea of how much it will cost us...and it isn’t cheap. Have you ever heard the expression where the monkey sticks it's nuts?