Dusty barn car sells for stunning $230,000 at auction

When it comes to vintage car fanatics, 'barn finds'—cars or motorbikes that are discovered from storage, usually in rural locations—can be some of the most exciting finds.

What’s so special about these vehicles? Well, the fact they have been untouched for years and may even contain some collectible parts can make them jewels in the eye of collectors.

When their authenticity is confirmed, the prices they can reach at auctions can be astonishing.

Take one unique 1970 Ford XY Falcon GT, for example. Despite being covered in dust and gravel after sitting in the same spot since 1975, it was sold at an auction for a staggering $230,000!

The Grays auction drew crowds from all over Australia and attracted a whopping 400-plus bids.

In the end, the winning bidder was a man from San Souci in Sydney, who was driven enough to own this beauty that he was willing to pay top dollar.

Screenshot 2023-11-30 114052.png
The amazing find of 1970 Ford XY Falcon GT in a Brisbane barn! Image: Grays

According to the auctioneer Rian Gaffy, the man is a vintage Ford fan with a history with the model.

‘He’s pretty pleased with it. He had one similar when he was a young bloke.’

'He’s always wanted to buy another one, so when this one came up, he thought he’d jump on the chance,' the auctioneer said.

Gaffy said that the car attracted interest across Australia.

'I think that was a fair figure for the car,' he said.

'It’s a unique car but needing full restoration, so I think that’s a fair price.'

GT-HO-Phase3-b.jpg
The original look of the 1970 Ford XY Falcon GT. Image: Wikipedia

Gaffy also described it as a ‘one-of-one’ series—a ‘special build’ previously owned by the Ford Motor Company.

Clive Anderson, the car’s previous owner, lived in the Coorparoo, Queensland home where the unique Ford was stashed since 1960.

He had parked the vehicle under the house when he was given a work car, but as is typical with antique motor vehicles, it gradually stopped functioning over the years.

But now, it’s headed to Sydney for a long overdue restoration.

Key Takeaways
  • A 'one-of-one' 1970 Ford XY Falcon GT that was found covered in dust under a Brisbane house was sold at auction for $230,000.
  • The car had been under Clive Anderson's house in Coorparoo since 1975 and was won by a bidder in San Souci in Sydney.
  • The car, in need of full restoration, was described as a 'special build' initially owned by the Ford Motor Company.

Have you ever stumbled across an exciting barn find like the one we just mentioned? Are you working on restoring an old classic? Let us know your experience in the comments below!

Sponsored
Hubby's first car was a black Ford GT falcon. Unfortunately we needed to sell it to buy our first house.

I will dig out a photo and post later

Last edited:
When it comes to vintage car fanatics, 'barn finds'—cars or motorbikes that are discovered from storage, usually in rural locations—can be some of the most exciting finds.

What’s so special about these vehicles? Well, the fact they have been untouched for years and may even contain some collectible parts can make them jewels in the eye of collectors.

When their authenticity is confirmed, the prices they can reach at auctions can be astonishing.

Take one unique 1970 Ford XY Falcon GT, for example. Despite being covered in dust and gravel after sitting in the same spot since 1975, it was sold at an auction for a staggering $230,000!

The Grays auction drew crowds from all over Australia and attracted a whopping 400-plus bids.

In the end, the winning bidder was a man from San Souci in Sydney, who was driven enough to own this beauty that he was willing to pay top dollar.

View attachment 36227

According to the auctioneer Rian Gaffy, the man is a vintage Ford fan with a history with the model.

'He’s always wanted to buy another one, so when this one came up, he thought he’d jump on the chance,' the auctioneer said.

'It’s a unique car but needing full restoration, so I think that’s a fair price.'

View attachment 36228

Gaffy also described it as a ‘one-of-one’ series—a ‘special build’ previously owned by the Ford Motor Company.

Clive Anderson, the car’s previous owner, lived in the Coorparoo, Queensland home where the unique Ford was stashed since 1960.

He had parked the vehicle under the house when he was given a work car, but as is typical with antique motor vehicles, it gradually stopped functioning over the years.

Key Takeaways

• A 'one-of-one' 1970 Ford XY Falcon GT that was found covered in dust under a Brisbane house was sold at auction for $230,000.
  • The car had been under Clive Anderson's house in Coorparoo since 1975 and was won by a bidder in San Souci in Sydney.
  • The car, in need of full restoration, was described as a 'special build' initially owned by the Ford Motor Company.

Have you ever stumbled across an exciting barn find like the one we just mentioned? Are you working on restoring an old classic? Let us know your experience in the comments below!
I often think of the cars that I once owned and sold for only a few hundred dollars that are now fetching ridiculous prices since becoming collectible: e.g. a couple of Valiants and a HQ Holden amongst others.

Reactions: marni

A bit of time travelling happening here. Somehow, a 1970 XY Falcon made its way back to 1960. At least it wasn't a De Lorean....

By the way, I've never seen Back To The Future.

• Haha
Reactions: magpie1

View attachment 36227

View attachment 36228

Key Takeaways

I don’t understand- how can a 1970 Ford GT be stashed in a barn since 1960 ??? Whoever did this article didn’t fact check before publishing. Then later in the article the owner apparantly had the vehicle at his house in Coorparoo since 1975 😳

• Haha
Reactions: magpie1

A bit of time travelling happening here. Somehow, a 1970 XY Falcon made its way back to 1960. At least it wasn't a De Lorean....

Its a Good movie . You are very observant

Maybe that's why the Ford raised such an eye watering bid.....there's more to this '70's car that someone isn't telling us......Welcome to the Twilight Zone 🤣😉

I often think of the cars that I once owned and sold for only a few hundred dollars that are now fetching ridiculous prices since becoming collectible: e.g. a couple of Valiants and a HQ Holden amongst others.
we had a charger - wish we still had

we had a charger - wish we still had
I had a Valiant Charger 265 Hemi.....it was the first car that I ever bought on my 18th birthday...it was a show car and had 1400 miles on the clock and I bought it from the dealership for $1500 and it was ice blue in colour.....it really was a beautiful car to drive and had a lot of grunt....the only reason that I sold it about 5 years later was that I was given a company car from my employer....by then I think it still only had about 60,000 miles on the clock and I sold it for $2250.....it was in mint condition and I was really sorry to let it go.
HEY CHARGER !! 'V'✌ 😉😊

Reactions: Veggiepatch