Duchess of York shares shocking health update amid aggressive skin cancer battle

Sarah Ferguson, popularly known as Fergie and the Duchess of York, shocked royal watchers with not one but two cancer diagnoses within a year.

Her story serves as a valuable reminder of the importance of regular health checks and the grim reality of cancer—a disease that spares no one, irrespective of their social or financial status.

While visiting Melbourne, Australia, for the Global Citizen Now Summit, the 64-year-old royal used her platform to share a health update and advocate for preventative healthcare measures.

Joining Matt Shirvington and Global Citizen CEO Hugh Evans on Sunrise, Fergie declared, 'Two days ago, I got the all clear (that it hasn’t spread).'

428647662_958708072486233_7643232086865426899_n.jpg
The Duchess of York has shared a health update after her skin cancer diagnosis earlier this year. Image source: Facebook/Sarah Ferguson.

This good news came after her dermatologist examination, shining a rare beam of light in a year ridden with health battles.

Ferguson's journey with cancer began last year when she was persuaded by her sister, Jane, to get a mammogram, a diagnostic test for breast cancer.

Little did she know, this decision would save her life.

Faced with a breast cancer diagnosis, she underwent a single mastectomy and reconstructive surgery.

'I didn't want to go, but I did. Of course, she saved my life because I had a check,' said the Duchess.

'I’m asking anyone to go have a mammogram [or a] check-up, because I’m here, I’m fine. I call them (my breasts) Derrick and Eric, and they’re fine…only had a single mastectomy…Eric’s rather upset because he is not as bouncy.'

Ferguson also spoke about King Charles III’s own battle with cancer, after his shock diagnosis earlier this year.

'One person who stood and fought…for so many years is the King,' she said of her former brother-in-law.

'If he’s watching or listening, just that we’re out here championing the work that he has tirelessly done. We wish him so well. He’s such a great man.'

Barely recovered from her breast cancer battle, Fergie found herself grappling with a melanoma diagnosis, the most serious kind of skin cancer.

Her brave decision to go public with her successive cancer battles earlier this year stressed the importance of keeping an eye on one's health and against procrastination when it comes to health checks.

Ferguson took to social media and urged her followers to monitor any changes in their skin.

'I have been taking some time to myself as I have been diagnosed with malignant melanoma, a form of skin cancer, my second cancer diagnosis within a year after I was diagnosed with breast cancer this summer and underwent a mastectomy and reconstructive surgery,' she said.

'It was thanks to the great vigilance of my dermatologist that the melanoma was detected when it was.'

'Naturally, another cancer diagnosis has been a shock, but I’m in good spirits and grateful for the many messages of love and support.'

The Duchess highlighted the often underestimated importance of watchfulness in the early detection of skin cancer.

She stressed vigilance, especially for changes in the size, shape, colour, texture, or emergence of new moles that can indicate melanoma.

She expressed her gratitude to the medical team at the Luxury Austrian Clinic, MAYRLIFE, where she spent her time recuperating after her diagnosis.

Ferguson and Prince Andrew got divorced in 1996, after ten years of marriage and two children. The two, however, still lived together on the Windsor estate.

Despite the divorce, Ferguson also maintained a strong friendship with the late Queen Elizabeth. She even adopted one of the Queen’s corgis after Queen Elizabeth’s passing in September 2022.

She was also known to be a good friend of the late Princess Diana, having bonded during their younger years before marrying into the royal family.
Key Takeaways
  • Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York, has received the all clear after being diagnosed with an aggressive form of skin cancer.
  • She urged women to undergo health checks like mammograms, sharing her experience with breast cancer and a subsequent mastectomy.
  • The Duchess discussed King Charles III’s battle with cancer and praised his fighting spirit.
  • She also highlighted the importance of vigilance in detecting skin cancers early and thanked her medical team for their care during her recovery.
What are your thoughts on this latest update? Are you scheduled for a health check soon? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
There has been a lot of focus on Women's health, particularly breast cancer. My wife has just had her penaltenate mamagram and ultrasound, having had a cancer scare several years ago. Fortunately all's well. However more attention is being directed towards men's health, how important it is to have regular check up's. Things develop without symptoms and only detected by blood tests, as happened with me. Medication has helped , but will need an operation to fix. Ignore nothing. Don't be afraid of doctors. Prevention is better than cure.

One of the few Royals who I thought of as a regular type of person.
All the rubbish she was put through when in the Royal mix, and she still comes out of it showing empathy for the King and anyone else who is suffering the big C.
The frailty of life affects everyone, doesn't matter how entitled they may be.
Someone like Fergie coming along and just being herself is good to see. I hope her recovery continues.

There has been a lot of focus on Women's health, particularly breast cancer. My wife has just had her penaltenate mamagram and ultrasound, having had a cancer scare several years ago. Fortunately all's well. However more attention is being directed towards men's health, how important it is to have regular check up's. Things develop without symptoms and only detected by blood tests, as happened with me. Medication has helped , but will need an operation to fix. Ignore nothing. Don't be afraid of doctors. Prevention is better than cure.

Reactions: Ezzy
Andrew I agree with you 'prevention is better than a cure'. My husband who is 78 in a few months has his blood test each year and also takes a supplement 'Prostrate Health' which helps to maintain a healthy prostrate function.

Reactions: Ezzy
Is she not divorced from the name? As such, is she not just another Duchess and not royal?

I receive a skin check twice a year. I had a melanoma removed from my chin 2 years ago. All OK now. Please people get a skin check because you can't do it yourself.

Reactions: Jersey Girl
1 in 6 males get prostate cancer. It is more-or-less painless until one starts pissing blood or maybe chooses to see the GP because the urinary tract appears constricted.

And that is about the time when it has begun its spread to one's bones.

If you a bloke older than 50, get the GP's finger-up-the bum check once a year. Otherwise the medication will wreck the remainder of your sex life.