Buckingham Palace reveals King Charles' cancer diagnosis

In a shocking revelation that has sent ripples across the globe, Buckingham Palace has announced that King Charles has been diagnosed with cancer.

The 75-year-old monarch is already undergoing treatment for the disease. This unfortunate development will necessitate a temporary step back from public duties, but the King remains committed to his royal duties.

The Palace has not disclosed the specific type of cancer the King is battling, but it has confirmed that it is not prostate cancer.

The diagnosis came to light during a recent treatment at the London Clinic for a benign enlarged prostate.

GFl-ZedWkAAaPdu.jpg
Buckingham Palace announced King Charles’ cancer diagnosis. Image source: @Dexerto/X (Twitter)

Despite the gravity of the situation, the Palace has assured the public that the King is ‘wholly positive about his treatment’.

The announcement read: ‘During the King’s recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted. Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer.’

‘His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties,’ the statement from the Palace said.

King Charles, who began his outpatient treatments on Monday, has personally informed his sons, the Prince of Wales and Duke of Sussex, of his diagnosis.

His three siblings, the Princess Royal, Duke of Edinburgh, and Duke of York, have also been informed.

Prince Harry, who is currently residing in the US, is expected to travel to the UK to see his father in the coming days. The Duchess of Sussex will remain in the US with their two children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet.

The King's diagnosis has led to a postponement of his public-facing engagements.

However, he will continue his constitutional role as head of state, including paperwork, his red boxes, and private meetings.

The Palace has stated that the King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible. He returned to London from Sandringham on Monday morning to begin treatment as an outpatient.

The statement from the palace said: ‘His Majesty has chosen to share his diagnosis to prevent speculation and in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer.’

The Palace has confirmed that there are no plans to appoint counsellors of state, who can be called on to stand in if the monarch is incapacitated.

At present, these include Queen Camilla, Prince William, Princess Anne, and Prince Edward. Prince Harry and Prince Andrew are no longer classified as working royals.

The King's weekly audience with the Prime Minister may be adjusted based on doctors' advice to minimise any in-person contact.

The King was last seen in public at Sandringham in Norfolk on Sunday, where he attended a church service with the Queen.

The King's diagnosis comes at a challenging time for the monarchy, with Catherine, Princess of Wales, also recovering from planned abdominal surgery. With the King and the Princess of Wales temporarily out of action, the monarchy faces a significant reduction in the number of working royals.

The news of the King's diagnosis has been met with an outpouring of support from political leaders and the public alike. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, Labour leader Keir Starmer, US President Joe Biden, and former US President Donald Trump are among those who have sent their well wishes.

Prime Minister Albanese also extended his well-wishes. In an interview, he stated: ‘We wish him very much a speedy recovery. I will be sending a message to the Palace this morning and we hope that King Charles has a speedy recovery and a return to his duties as soon as possible.’

King Charles and Queen Camilla were scheduled to visit Australia in October for their first trip since becoming monarchs. Albanese said he ‘sincerely’ hoped the royals could still make the trip.

‘We, of course, look forward to the Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting that will be held in our region. And of course, we have invited King Charles to visit Australia, and we sincerely hope that can occur,’ he added.

Cancer is a group of diseases characterised by the uncontrolled growth and spread of abnormal cells. There are over 100 types of cancer, including breast cancer, skin cancer, lung cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, and lymphoma. The symptoms vary depending on the type.

Cancer's impact on the individual and their family can be significant. Physical health, mental well-being, and financial stability can all be affected.

Treatment options for cancer include surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, targeted therapy, hormone therapy, stem cell transplant, and precision medicine. The choice of treatment depends on the type and stage of cancer, possible side effects, and the patient's overall health, preferences, and personal circumstances.

As the King embarks on his treatment journey, his courage and resilience will undoubtedly inspire others facing similar health challenges.

His decision to share his diagnosis publicly may also help to raise awareness about cancer and the importance of early detection and treatment.

You can watch 9 News Australia’s report here:

Key Takeaways

• King Charles has been diagnosed with cancer and is receiving treatment that has postponed his public duties.
  • Buckingham Palace has stated the type of cancer is not prostate cancer, and the monarch remains positive about his treatment.
  • The King is continuing with his constitutional role and paperwork, with plans to return to full duties as soon as possible.
  • Messages of support and well-wishes have poured in from political leaders, public figures, and the royal family.

We join the world in wishing King Charles a speedy recovery.

What are your thoughts on this story, members? Share them in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
I too will soon be having a test to see if l have an enlarged prostate or a bladder problem. My younger brother had prostate cancer a while ago ,and after extensive treatment is now cancer free. The King and I are the same age. It pays to have regular checkups and any necessary tests early. Hopefully the kings cancer has been found early enough for successful treatment.

There is a lot of health Problems affecting the Royal Family.
They all need our prayers, every one of them, as in every family, there are many and various problems..
They have been aired over time..Help all by being compassionate, caring, thoughtful and kind.

I too will soon be having a test to see if l have an enlarged prostate or a bladder problem. My younger brother had prostate cancer a while ago ,and after extensive treatment is now cancer free. The King and I are the same age. It pays to have regular checkups and any necessary tests early. Hopefully the kings cancer has been found early enough for successful treatment.
Good luck with it I hope all goes well for you.😊

Reactions: magpie1
And why exactly would the world be in shock. No one is in shock coz one of my close family members has just been diagnosed with Prostrate Cancer. It's a male thing, can happen to anyone man so why the big deal, seriously no one cares, they are way to busy dealing with their own families medical problems.

And why exactly would the world be in shock. No one is in shock coz one of my close family members has just been diagnosed with Prostrate Cancer. It's a male thing, can happen to anyone man so why the big deal, seriously no one cares, they are way to busy dealing with their own families medical problems.
We don’t know you and you haven’t told anyone until now😊

Reactions: Jo Piper3
I do wish you would get your facts straight. The king has 3 siblings. The third is the Duke of York not the Duke of Sussex as you write. Sussex is his son for what good he is after all the damage he has done he doesn’t deserve the title let alone his wife. The Queen was outraged that he used her private pet name for his daughter. “She stated that that had been stolen as well”. As usual he never asked her before posting what a tribute he was making! Typical Harry.

As a former cancer survivor patient three years ago I was always a positive person and to this day I believe that’s the way to go. All the best your majesty love to you and family. Love from Adelaide Australia but born in Birmingham UK xx

I do wish you would get your facts straight. The king has 3 siblings. The third is the Duke of York not the Duke of Sussex as you write. Sussex is his son for what good he is after all the damage he has done he doesn’t deserve the title let alone his wife. The Queen was outraged that he used her private pet name for his daughter. “She stated that that had been stolen as well”. As usual he never asked her before posting what a tribute he was making! Typical Harry.
Your tone is a little harsh. Everyone makes mistakes and the staff at SDC try hard to bring us the latest news.

How do you know the Queen was angry about the name . I actually read that he spoke to the Queen before giving their daughter the name and asking the Queen for permission and she was very happy

'Left the world in utter shock ' - not likely, I think of all that money wasted on the coronation to be spent again in less than a year... ridiculous. Get rid of The royal family. They're a blight on society...... 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

My husband had Prostate Cancer. It was caught early and he had it removed. He is all good now. It pays for all of us to get regular blood tests and skin cancer tests. It could save your life. I had a melanoma which was caught early got it cut out and I am all good too. Both of ours were stage 1 cancer