Dry, Itchy or Flaky Scalp? Dermatologist REVEALS Simple Trick to Get Rid of The Skin Condition for Good

Dandruff is a common problem that many people struggle to control. While it is usually not a serious issue, it can be embarrassing and difficult to get rid of.

There are many different theories about what causes dandruff, but the most likely culprit is a yeast called malassezia. This yeast lives on the scalp and causes inflammation, which leads to flaking.

It can’t be denied, however, that a lot of people dismiss the importance of getting rid of dandruff as it does not affect their health. They think that it is just a normal change in their skin and that it is not harmful.

But the truth is that dandruff is not just an ordinary skin change. It is actually a skin condition that can lead to serious problems, both physical and mental.

One of the physical problems that dandruff can cause is hair loss. This is because dandruff can weaken the roots of your hair and make them fall out.

Another physical problem that dandruff can cause is inflammation of the skin. This is because dandruff can cause your skin to become irritated and itchy.

The mental problems that dandruff can cause are just as serious as the physical ones. Dandruff can make you feel depressed and anxious through feelings of shame or embarrassment.

This is because dandruff can cause people to feel dirty and, for some, that they are not in control of their life.

So, how can one solve this issue?

In a recent YouTube video, dermatologist Muneeb Shah explained how flaking happens on the scalp.

Credit: YouTube/Doctorly

The viral clip, which has garnered more than 4.9 million views, started with a barber giving a man with a flaky scalp a ‘faded’ haircut, with the doctor watching from the background.

‘What? This is dandruff that he's fading which is actually caused by yeast on the scalp,’ Dr Shah explains.

‘That yeast causes inflammation and that inflammation causes flaking.’

According to the dermatologist, washing your hair more often will not get rid of dandruff.

Dr Shah then advises using an anti-fungal shampoo, which can help control the yeast and reduce the flaking.

The doctor also recommends looking for a shampoo that contains ketoconazole, zinc pyrithione, and selenium sulfide.

4Ykg6I74eenbgjU3Px4L3iOVGFLoEQuMhDn2OmCbSowqpwmQllfOOBQkqFtw0XzvgxeC8vuPBcaWskJGyF26Jv3Cpk203ubFtqp7O8kvKK9ZUlUersSbTxgso6jThi-yQPhmbbfVmzWFeMpBJs52fg
a1SGCZJSiN67KGQIHuUkR2MuiWRqDP6nyV-adklL0IBsBM-sXrnK9hznxn0hyT7HYrrHbYtJ7MnZcpH83c3osKb8J1q1csWdxh0RwlIFzcdLb-CY4S53PpJYzBmqe61MgkoOMtrTxy6vZNG5sQ_nNQ

Dermatologist Muneeb Shah explained the root cause of flaky scalp and how one can get rid of it. Credit: YouTube/Doctorly.

The video has captured the attention of millions of people, with many expressing their gratitude to the doctor for providing sound advice.

One person wrote: ‘Thank you! I am so annoyed with this flaky scalp.’

‘Dude for years I've tried getting this under control and thought it was impossible. Thank you!’ another exclaimed.

A third chimed in: ‘I hate how relatable this is. Shout out to my barber for not making a big deal out of my flaky head. Trying this tip!’

Others commended Dr Shah for recommending a solution to tackle the root cause of the problem as they claimed that many doctors refuse to acknowledge that yeast is the culprit for dandruff.

One comment read: ‘Good on you buddy for saying it's yeast fungus most doctors refuse to admit.’

‘I had no clue antifungal helped with dandruff,’ another added.

A third shared: ‘I'm fighting with this for 20 years and no dermatologist said it's this problem. Now I know, thank you!’

Meanwhile, several people took to the comments section to offer their own suggestions for getting rid of flaky scalp.

‘If you usually have dry skin that is prone to flaking regardless, it might also be good to look into very gentle and moisturizing shampoos, for example alternating with an antifungal shampoo,’ one user advised.

Another recommended: ‘Selenium sulfide works wonders. It even worked on my eczema too!’

Shout out to all the barbers and hairdressers out there who don't make a big deal out of dandruff! And thanks to the dermatologist in the video for sharing this helpful information.

So, there you have it, members! Will you be giving this tip a try? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below. Also, if you know other tips for getting rid of dandruff for good, don’t hesitate to share them with us! You might just help another member!

Sponsored
If your scalp itches and stings but there is no dandruff, you might be allergic to the foaming chemical in your shampoo, lauryl sulphate or laureth sulphate. Other indicators are a red rash on the back of your neck and a rash on the tops of your feet. Try a shampoo that has no sulphates. Chemist Warehouse has a range of these products. Baby shampoo also does not usually contain sulphates. I currently buy Sukin brand and have found that comfortable to use.

If your scalp itches and stings but there is no dandruff, you might be allergic to the foaming chemical in your shampoo, lauryl sulphate or laureth sulphate. Other indicators are a red rash on the back of your neck and a rash on the tops of your feet. Try a shampoo that has no sulphates. Chemist Warehouse has a range of these products. Baby shampoo also does not usually contain sulphates. I currently buy Sukin brand and have found that comfortable to use.
Totally agree, Jan. The products they were selling me to clear up my scalp condition were only making it worse, because they all contained chemicals. I was allergic to the chemicals. Particularly Sodium Laurel (or laureth) Sulphate. Once I started using shampoos that were chemical free my scalp cleared up completely. Baby shampoo I found DOES contain sulphates.

Watch the hair conditioner ingredients. Some of them use a sulphate to give a shine to the hair. I also found that the conditioner (finisher) in some hair colour products give me an itchy sting. I now discard the conditioner and use my normal sulphate-free conditioner. After I started doing that, I had no similar itch problems with hair colour products. My normal conditioner works just as well as the ones in the hair colour box. If you have found hair colours give you an itchy scalp, it may not be the colouring agent that is the problem; it may be the conditioner.

be ok if you own a bank!