Drivers frustrated over electric vehicle owner’s ‘entitled’ and ‘annoying’ move at shopping centre

As the world shifts towards greener modes of transportation, electric vehicles (EVs) are becoming increasingly popular.

This surge in EV ownership is a positive step for the environment, but it's also leading to new challenges, particularly regarding the availability of charging stations.

At Orion Springfield Central in Ipswich, Queensland, a situation has sparked a heated discussion about EV charging etiquette.

A Tesla owner was spotted occupying two parking bays while hooked up to a charger, with another electric vehicle parked in the bay that the charger was supposed to serve.

The circumstances surrounding the Tesla's charging setup were unclear, but the images shared online by a fellow shopper led to a wave of criticism.

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 11.24.25 AM.png
A Tesla was spotted hooked up to an EV charger while being parked over two parking bays at a shopping centre. Credit: Facebook

The shopper's post suggested frustration with the Tesla owner's actions, saying, ‘She had to charge... I hope someone parks next to her to block her in.’

This sentiment was echoed by other drivers who labelled the move as 'entitled' and 'annoying,' questioning why the Tesla owner hadn't simply reversed into a single bay to access the charger.

This incident is not an isolated one.

In November, another Tesla owner was criticised for attempting to hide a charging cable, sparking frustration online and revealing urban EV charging difficulties.

‘This is ridiculous. Why are electric car owners blocking the footpath to charge their private cars? This is silly,’ wrote a passerby online, sharing their frustration.

Last month, another Tesla owner was criticised for parking on the kerb to reach a charging station, later explaining that the charging cable was too short to accommodate the trailer they were towing.

In response to these issues, states across Australia have begun to implement fines for drivers who park in designated EV bays without using the charging equipment.

In Queensland, the penalties are particularly steep, with fines reaching up to $2,757—the highest in the country.

While there are currently no fines for removing a charger from an EV, such actions are generally considered poor form and are frowned upon by the community.
Key Takeaways
  • An electric vehicle owner was criticised for parking a Tesla over two bays and using a charger in a shopping centre car park.
  • It was unclear whether the Tesla owner had disconnected another vehicle or if the space was improperly used, but the act was deemed 'entitled'.
  • Incidents of inconsiderate parking by EV owners have been on the rise, reflecting the challenge of finding available chargers.
  • Queensland enforces heavy fines for drivers who park in EV bays without using the charging equipment, but there are no fines for unplugging a charger from a vehicle.
Have you encountered any issues with electric vehicle charging stations? Do you think more should be done to improve the infrastructure for EVs? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

• Wow
Reactions: PattiB
Sponsored
Watt tax? How are we going to pay for 6- lane highways to sit still on in traffic jams if we don't tax electric cars?
Ahh, Pomgolian based intelligent and cutting humour is hard to beat. Especially so, when fully loaded up like the couple of sentences from Rob44. Takes a relaxed mind to produce such. Miss it greatly from one, since moving to a less crowded place.

One of a few reasons I was encouraged enough to shift camp. It was a case of not wanting to join 'em, just beat the stupidity by moving away. Still a bit of silliness here, just nowhere near as much!
Problem is that where I live hordes of SUV owners have migrated to "family shack" country and commute from there to the CBD every day. We also have town planners who still think it is the 1950s and agree to urban sprawl in every direction, with sweet FA facilities bar the sporadic shopping mall plus Coles and Woolworths. Still, living with two heads must be confusing for them.

If one burns diesel/coal to generate electricity and then one runs a car on electricity from batteries, it is perhaps less efficient than simply using petrol to run the car as there is a conversion step involved from hydrocarbon fuel to electricity to batteries If one uses hydro power or wind or sunlight to generate the electricity that goes into charging one's batteries to run the car, then that's ok. No burning hydrocarbons to generate the electricity although making cement and steel to use in hydro-dams and turbines and mining and refining limestone, steel and copper and.........earwigoagen. The energy treadmill to nowhere. Catch a bus instead, or ride a bicycle.
If I had a bus stop near enough to walk to that takes me into the city, and out to the suburbs, and to the hospital, and so on, I would be more than happy to use the Opal card more regularly. As it stands, I would have to allow at least 1-1.5 hours for a trip that takes 15mins in the car. As far as bicycles go, the scoliosis is screaming at me ... are you CRAZY? I miss my foot power and pedal power but the body says NO.

Problem is that where I live hordes of SUV owners have migrated to "family shack" country and commute from there to the CBD every day. We also have town planners who still think it is the 1950s and agree to urban sprawl in every direction, with sweet FA facilities bar the sporadic shopping mall plus Coles and Woolworths. Still, living with two heads must be confusing for them.
Speaking of a lack of planning and having facilities, seems as though EV sales are down world-wide as those looking to go EV are tapping out when hearing about long queues at charging stations as well as cost of living pressures biting.

With Tesla, the man himself is being blamed for a massive oversupply of those vehicles as sales are nowhere near reaching projections. Tesla owners who bought at $72k will be spewing as currently same brand now going for 60K in this country. Ouch. Could be a touch of the Covid affect in the pricing.

EV sales in China have plummeted due to reduced consumer spending and trade tariffs imposed by USA and Europe.

So maybe, notwithstanding 'WattTaxes' and 'Volting horses', :ROFLMAO: EV sales in Australia won't turn into the s***show it has in other countries, but it could well depend upon the roll-out of planned charging stations.

Reactions: Veggiepatch