Driver shares horrifying experience while headed home: 'It was a shock'

Driving at night can be challenging enough with the reduced visibility and the need to be on high alert for pedestrians and wildlife.

For one Queensland woman, a routine drive home from work turned into a harrowing ordeal that she’s unlikely to forget.

The incident, which took place on a quiet street in Redland, was captured on the driver’s dashcam and has shocked the local community.

The anonymous driver turned to Freeth Street West in Ormiston around 7:30 pm.

The dash cam revealed a man and a woman in the middle of the road, seemingly arguing.

While the woman stepped aside, the man aggressively moved into the vehicle’s path.

compressed-pexels-callum-hilton-3599175.jpeg
Road safety should be of utmost importance for drivers, especially in the wee hours of the night. Image Credit: Pexels/Callum Hilton

The driver recounted stopping the car when she noticed the couple attempting to navigate the situation cautiously.

However, as she tried to drive around the man slowly, he blocked her way, leapt onto her car and started smashing the windscreen with his bare fists.

‘It happened so quickly, it was a shock,’ the driver said.

The terror of the moment was palpable, as she found herself trapped in the car, unable to move for several seconds while the man remained on the bonnet.

The man also tried to open the passenger side door.

In a situation that could have escalated even further, the driver was also concerned about the other woman’s safety, as she was behind the vehicle.

‘I couldn’t speed off because the woman was behind the car and if I reversed I could’ve hit her,’ she explained.

The car’s safety features also prevented her from moving forward while it detected a person in front.

Once the man jumped off the bonnet, the driver immediately drove away and headed straight to the Cleveland Police Station.

The shattered glass from the windscreen fell onto her, cutting her hands in the process.

‘I couldn’t see a thing in front of me, I really don’t know how I got home that night,’ she recounted.

Queensland Police have confirmed that they are investigating the incident.

The driver’s decision to share the footage serves as a warning to the community, highlighting that a frightening event could happen to anyone, including ‘a mum with kids in the car’.

SDC member and resident tech guy Alan G shared his insights about dash cams and how they add a layer of safety for drivers.

He recommends getting a dash cam with night vision, ‘Full-HD’ or 4k video recording and can pick up crystal clear audio.

You may read more about his dash cam guide in this article.

This event reminds drivers to stay vigilant while driving, keep doors locked, and know what to do in an emergency.

Watch the whole footage here:

Source: 9News Queensland/Facebook

Key Takeaways

• A man jumped onto a Queensland woman’s car and smashed the windscreen with his fists.
  • The incident, captured on dashcam footage, occurred as the woman drove home from work in Ormiston.
  • The Queensland Police are investigating the incident, and the driver shared the footage to warn others in the community.
  • An SDC member shared his insights on dash cams, giving drivers a safety blanket in similar situations.
Have you ever encountered a similar situation? What advice would you give to fellow drivers? Your insights could be invaluable to someone else in our community.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Looks like another case of bad drugs. People can be very dangerous in such situations.
I would not have stopped for anything, but instead, continued out of range and called police.
There was also a possibility that it was a set up by 2 people hoping that a well meaning driver stops to help. Who knows.
I just know, I would not have stopped.

I have some sympathy for the driver. I think that 7.30pm is a bit early to expect that type of behaviour on the roads and the situation was a little tight. So reaction time, unless there is naturally fast gut reaction instincts, could be slower than later at night when your alert status is at a higher level. Also depends on the neighbourhood as well, as to how quickly you might sense danger.

Experienced night time working drivers would sense this as a high alert situation immediately. See the demeanour of the man in front is an aggressive one, walk and clenched fists.

Looks to me like an couple of possibilities. Either he's reacted to the triggers from the person behind, turned around and taken rage out on the first thing he sees. As mentioned, the other possibility is a 2 person setup, which is also probable as an attempt was made to get in the passenger door. Hard to tell about this because the locality is not known and a corner was turned so it's problematic to make a determination as to whether the vehicle was seen beforehand and the plan hatched.

Either way, before he turned around, there appears to be an opportunity to get past him on the left hand side. For a Mum with kids in the car, this calls for a leave and get the hell out of there situation.

I know of one driver, in a similar 'surprise' situation who stopped as well. There were a number of thugs out of sight who ended up dragging him out of the open window for a bit of drug or racially induced sport. He ended up in a coma for a couple of weeks.

At the end of the day, you have the car and the means of putting distance between yourself and perceived danger, Best not to wait for the perception to become reality.

Reactions: MariaG
I have some sympathy for the driver. I think that 7.30pm is a bit early to expect that type of behaviour on the roads and the situation was a little tight. So reaction time, unless there is naturally fast gut reaction instincts, could be slower than later at night when your alert status is at a higher level. Also depends on the neighbourhood as well, as to how quickly you might sense danger.

Experienced night time working drivers would sense this as a high alert situation immediately. See the demeanour of the man in front is an aggressive one, walk and clenched fists.

Looks to me like an couple of possibilities. Either he's reacted to the triggers from the person behind, turned around and taken rage out on the first thing he sees. As mentioned, the other possibility is a 2 person setup, which is also probable as an attempt was made to get in the passenger door. Hard to tell about this because the locality is not known and a corner was turned so it's problematic to make a determination as to whether the vehicle was seen beforehand and the plan hatched.

Either way, before he turned around, there appears to be an opportunity to get past him on the left hand side. For a Mum with kids in the car, this calls for a leave and get the hell out of there situation.

I know of one driver, in a similar 'surprise' situation who stopped as well. There were a number of thugs out of sight who ended up dragging him out of the open window for a bit of drug or racially induced sport. He ended up in a coma for a couple of weeks.

At the end of the day, you have the car and the means of putting distance between yourself and perceived danger, Best not to wait for the perception to become reality.
I hope your friend is OK. Must have been terrifying.