Driver pays $305 fine for this obscure parking rule: ‘Help me understand’

We all know that parking can be as expensive as it is difficult, and if you’ve tried parallel parking, you can attest to the fact that it’s no walk in the park.

But as it turns out, if you live in New South Wales (NSW), the state could slap you with a hefty fine if you’re not up to snuff with an obscure parking rule.

Recently, one driver fell foul of the unfamiliar law and, as a result, copped a hefty $305 fine for 'breaking' a barely known road rule. The woman couldn't believe the fine she received when she had parked beside a residential home with no visible signage nearby.

To her dismay, the way she parked was illegal according to NSW rules and copped her a huge penalty.

The woman took to social media to show off pictures of her parking 'crime' and asked for help understanding why the fine was warranted. 'I got fined $305 and lost some demerits points. They said I parked parallel close to the dividing line/strip.’

‘I don't see anything wrong with the pics. What am I missing?' she asked.

Screenshot 2023-11-21 131012.png
The confused driver posted pictures online asking what she did wrong. Image: Facebook

Under the NSW Parking Rules, drivers 'must not park within 3 metres of any double dividing lines'–and for this driver, the double lines ran too close to her vehicle, causing the unwelcome anomaly for fines. The rule shocked many on social media, with some exclaiming they 'had no idea' this rule was in place at all. Others sympathised with the lady, who had clearly learnt an expensive lesson.

Others had experienced the same issues, with one Sydney woman copping nearly $900 in fines when she parked the same way. There's no road or street signage, no yellow lines, no indication of any kind that you can't park here… but it's not allowed,' she said.

So, members, be warned: although these rules can be hard to spot, ignorance of the law is not an excuse. It’s essential to read up on the parking rules and regulations wherever you may be, particularly if you’ve moved interstate or changed residence. You could be saving yourself a bit of heartache, and a few hundred dollars, in the process.

With complex parking regulations like the one in NSW, it's clear that parking in Australia isn't as straightforward as we might hope. This case isn't an anomaly; there are various other traffic regulations that could land you in hot water and deal with the drain on your wallet.

Screenshot 2023-11-21 131032.png
Other people on social media also didn’t know that you couldn’t park too close to a double line. Image: Facebook

Speeding is public enemy number one when it comes to fines and penalties on Australian roads. It may seem obvious, but some drivers still neglect the importance of adhering to speed limits.

Furthermore, the correct use of mobile phones while driving has also become a focal issue in recent years, with tough new laws introduced to curb this dangerous behaviour.

These are just a handful of the traffic violations earning Australian drivers hefty penalties. The key takeaway? Knowledge is power. Equipping yourself with the rules and regulations unique to your state could save you significant time, money and stress.

Key Takeaways

• A Sydney driver has received a $305 fine for breaking a little-known parking rule and lost demerit points.
  • She posted images of her car parked near double dividing lines on a residential street, asking for help understanding what she had done wrong.
  • Under NSW parking rules, vehicles are not allowed to park within three metres of double-dividing lines.
  • Much to her disbelief, other social media users informed her that parking too close to the middle lines and obstructing other cars from passing without crossing over the lines is illegal.

It’s also crucial to check for any signage or markings before you park. Don’t assume that just because no parking signs are around, you’re in the clear and won’t encounter a fine. What do you think of this story? Share with us your thoughts in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
We all know that parking can be as expensive as it is difficult, and if you’ve tried parallel parking, you can attest to the fact that it’s no walk in the park.

But as it turns out, if you live in New South Wales (NSW), the state could slap you with a hefty fine if you’re not up to snuff with an obscure parking rule.

Recently, one driver fell foul of the unfamiliar law and, as a result, copped a hefty $305 fine for 'breaking' a barely known road rule. The woman couldn't believe the fine she received when she had parked beside a residential home with no visible signage nearby.

To her dismay, the way she parked was illegal according to NSW rules and copped her a huge penalty.

The woman took to social media to show off pictures of her parking 'crime' and asked for help understanding why the fine was warranted. 'I got fined $305 and lost some demerits points. They said I parked parallel close to the dividing line/strip.’

View attachment 35367
The confused driver posted pictures online asking what she did wrong. Image: Facebook

Under the NSW Parking Rules, drivers 'must not park within 3 metres of any double dividing lines'–and for this driver, the double lines ran too close to her vehicle, causing the unwelcome anomaly for fines. The rule shocked many on social media, with some exclaiming they 'had no idea' this rule was in place at all. Others sympathised with the lady, who had clearly learnt an expensive lesson.

Others had experienced the same issues, with one Sydney woman copping nearly $900 in fines when she parked the same way. There's no road or street signage, no yellow lines, no indication of any kind that you can't park here… but it's not allowed,' she said.

So, members, be warned: although these rules can be hard to spot, ignorance of the law is not an excuse. It’s essential to read up on the parking rules and regulations wherever you may be, particularly if you’ve moved interstate or changed residence. You could be saving yourself a bit of heartache, and a few hundred dollars, in the process.

With complex parking regulations like the one in NSW, it's clear that parking in Australia isn't as straightforward as we might hope. This case isn't an anomaly; there are various other traffic regulations that could land you in hot water and deal with the drain on your wallet.

View attachment 35368
Other people on social media also didn’t know that you couldn’t park too close to a double line. Image: Facebook

Speeding is public enemy number one when it comes to fines and penalties on Australian roads. It may seem obvious, but some drivers still neglect the importance of adhering to speed limits.

Furthermore, the correct use of mobile phones while driving has also become a focal issue in recent years, with tough new laws introduced to kerb this dangerous behaviour.

These are just a handful of the traffic violations earning Australian drivers hefty penalties. The key takeaway? Knowledge is power. Equipping yourself with the rules and regulations unique to your state could save you significant time, money and stress.

Key Takeaways

• A Sydney driver has received a $305 fine for breaking a little-known parking rule and lost demerit points.
  • She posted images of her car parked near double dividing lines on a residential street, asking for help understanding what she had done wrong.
  • Under NSW parking rules, vehicles are not allowed to park within three metres of double-dividing lines.
  • Much to her disbelief, other social media users informed her that parking too close to the middle lines and obstructing other cars from passing without crossing over the lines is illegal.

It’s also crucial to check for any signage or markings before you park. Don’t assume that just because no parking signs are around, you’re in the clear and won’t encounter a fine. What do you think of this story? Share with us your thoughts in the comments below!
I picked that poor ladies fault straight off. As it’s the same road rule here in Victoria.
Some road rules are ridiculous but this one has some common sense to it.

View attachment 35367

View attachment 35368

Furthermore, the correct use of mobile phones while driving has also become a focal issue in recent years, with tough new laws introduced to kerb this dangerous behaviour.

Key Takeaways

Same in Victoria, don’t park within 3 metres of double lines..

Same in Victoria, don’t park within 3 metres of double lines..
I didn't know about that ? Lesson Learned. Fortunately I haven't ever done that ,so I haven't been guilty. But if parking was limited, I would have done it
Probably..
It becomes very clear to you, when you look at the reasons for it. The expense of it could be a good learning experience. $305 dollars would be a good reason to give it up I guess.

View attachment 35367

View attachment 35368

Key Takeaways

I thought everyone knew you couldn’t park anywhere centre of the road double lines. I, for one learnt that when I first began driving many moons ago 😁

View attachment 35367

View attachment 35368

Key Takeaways

Seems fairly logical to me how are other card /trucks to get past her without crossing the double white lines and risking a fine themselves
Fir the sake of parking 10 further back it cost $305
Further re mobile phone use it is curb not kerb

Reactions: magpie1
I understand the common sense side of it - but why do we have different road rules in every state when we all live in the same one country? That alone means one has to read up, know and remember the road rules when travelling from state to state. Spend some days just reading and remembering each state’s road rules before travelling in Australia!!?? That’s absurd.

Seems fairly logical to me how are other card /trucks to get past her without crossing the double white lines and risking a fine themselves
I agree with your comment DD417 that the rule is logical in road safety. The complainant has no basis for the complaint. I have to comment though, that kerb is a noun describing a series of stones or concrete lining the edge of a road, whereas curb is a verb "to restrain" something (unless you are in some localities of USA, in which any language is used).

Reactions: VK2LEE and Luckyus

View attachment 35367

View attachment 35368

Key Takeaways

I never knew about this parking rule. I’m glad you pointed this out. Thanks.

Reactions: croz and VK2LEE
I understand the common sense side of it - but why do we have different road rules in every state when we all live in the same one country? That alone means one has to read up, know and remember the road rules when travelling from state to state. Spend some days just reading and remembering each state’s road rules before travelling in Australia!!?? That’s absurd.
maybe it is absurd, but that's the way it is Catherines...so yeah check the rules if driving interstate, if not run the risk of getting fined. 🤔😉

Reactions: VK2LEE
The same rule applies Nationwide, and has done since well before I got my licence 50+ years ago. There's nothing "stupid" or "pedantic" about it, either. For practical purposes, the rule primarily exists to eliminate the need for traffic going in the same direction you are facing needing to drive across the double centre-line. Its secondary purpose is to guarantee that large vehicles like buses, garbage trucks and fire-engines can get through unobstructed. Imagine if you have two entitled eejits parking as this one did, but on either side of the double-line? I've seen it happen in backstreets behind the restaurant strip in Newtown NSW... just add Firetruck.... CARNAGE. Those firetrucks are really well reinforced. As to the issue of signage: it is redundant. The onus is on the driver to know the Rules and park accordingly.

Yikes! I did not know this rule. Makes sense for sure. Lucky for me I rarely park on main roads.

Reactions: VK2LEE
"kerb this dangerous behaviour" The "kerb" is the edge of the roadway. The word "curb" means to restrain. It's unfortunate that the Americans have gotten involved in English usage.

Reactions: Scaveola and VK2LEE

View attachment 35367

View attachment 35368

Key Takeaways

Perhaps the council/government can use the money collected to paint yellow lines at side of road. What a scam! Roy

Reactions: Scaveola and Knell

View attachment 35367

View attachment 35368

Key Takeaways

in reality its called "REVENUE raising" but as it is used under the guise of "RR" they get away with it... Laws and road rules are normally published in a news paper hidden away in some insignificant column somewhere and of course not knowing these laws is no excuse.... How many people still read a stupid most of the time lying newspaper.

in reality its called "REVENUE raising" but as it is used under the guise of "RR" they get away with it... Laws and road rules are normally published in a news paper hidden away in some insignificant column somewhere and of course not knowing these laws is no excuse.... How many people still read a stupid most of the time lying newspaper.
Think you may find most states now have Road Rules online for download.....Qld has I know.