Driver disputes hefty $1,000 fine with roadside camera image

Navigating the roads these days is tricky enough dealing with hour-long traffic and costly fuel prices.

But there’s one bit of road safety advice that we should all take seriously: wearing your seatbelt properly.

Gavin Storkey, a business owner based on the Gold Coast, recently discovered just how serious a seatbelt violation can be.

He copped a $1000 fine from Queensland Transport after a roadside camera caught a passenger apparently having their seatbelt tucked under their arm while travelling on the Pacific Motorway at Upper Coomera.

car seatbelt_pixabay_48d1f613-5959-404b-9312-eb4fe520b12f.jpeg
A man from Queensland was fined a whopping $1000 for placing his seatbelt under his arm, based on an image taken by a road camera. Image source: cfarnsworth from Pixabay.

According to the Queensland Revenue Office, images are taken of each vehicle travelling in the lane of traffic that the camera is monitoring. Artificial Intelligence is then used to detect if a seatbelt offence has occurred.

But Storkey claims when he received the fine and corresponding legal forms from the Queensland Treasury, he was not offered the option to submit an online enquiry. He was allegedly offered only two choices–pay the fine or go to court. However, the Queensland Treasury has confirmed there is an option to submit a fine enquiry through the state government website.

In a letter to Storkey, the Department of Transport and Main Roads explained that ‘infringement notices will be issued if a camera detects the driver or passenger of a vehicle not wearing a seatbelt that is both properly adjusted and fastened’.

‘The image shows the seatbelt was placed under the arm,’ it said.

‘If you wish to withdraw your court election and pay [the] infringement notice, please advise this office by return email and the infringement will be released.’

Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 3.41.46 PM.png
Storkey claims the right side is unclear and it’s impossible to see whether the passenger is wearing the seatbelt under his arm. Image source: Nine News / Gavin Storkey.

Storkey claims the right side is unclear and it’s impossible to see whether the passenger is wearing the seatbelt under his arm. Image source: Nine News.

He believed the image showed the passenger’s seatbelt didn’t appear to be under the arm–despite the low-quality photo that was provided as evidence. So Storkey decided to fight the fine.

‘I have been a good citizen, (I've) never been in trouble with the law, I'm struggling to pay (my) mortgage and keep my small business afloat, and now I am being sent to trial over a seatbelt photo for a $1000 fine,’ he said.

‘I had a closer look and analysed the image further, I realised the image was taken in the late afternoon sun and was overexposed.’

‘I could see the seatbelt disappear in the image, (it's) clear on the left side of the image, but on the right side it's impossible to see,’ he added.

Queensland drivers face a maximum penalty of $2875 for improper wearing of seatbelts.

Storkey appeared in Southport’s Magistrates Court earlier this month, and his case has been adjourned until January 2024.
Key Takeaways
  • A Queensland business owner, Gavin Storkey, received a $1,000 fine for a seatbelt offence, according to a photo taken by a road camera.
  • Storkey refutes the fine, claiming the passenger’s seatbelt was not under the arm as stated in the infringement notice but over it.
  • He alleges he was not given the option to submit a fine enquiry online by the Queensland Treasury, and was only offered the alternatives of going to court or paying the fine.
  • Storkey has pleaded not guilty in court, and the case has been adjourned until January 2024.
Dear members, it goes without saying–wearing your seatbelt is essential for your safety, so take the time to adjust it properly. And if you do end up being issued a ticket, make sure you’re aware of all your options.

So, what's your verdict dear members? Do you think the passenger was wearing the seatbelt right? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

• Haha
Reactions: Ricki and Tipsy
Sponsored
Navigating the roads these days is tricky enough dealing with hour-long traffic and costly fuel prices.

But there’s one bit of road safety advice that we should all take seriously: wearing your seatbelt properly.

Gavin Storkey, a business owner based on the Gold Coast, recently discovered just how serious a seatbelt violation can be.

He copped a $1000 fine from Queensland Transport after a roadside camera caught a passenger apparently having their seatbelt tucked under their arm while travelling on the Pacific Motorway at Upper Coomera.

View attachment 28580
A man from Queensland was fined a whopping $1000 for placing his seatbelt under his arm, based on an image taken by a road camera. Image source: cfarnsworth from Pixabay.

According to the Queensland Revenue Office, images are taken of each vehicle travelling in the lane of traffic that the camera is monitoring. Artificial Intelligence is then used to detect if a seatbelt offence has occurred.

But Storkey claims when he received the fine and corresponding legal forms from the Queensland Treasury, he was not offered the option to submit an online enquiry. He was allegedly offered only two choices–pay the fine or go to court. However, the Queensland Treasury has confirmed there is an option to submit a fine enquiry through the state government website.

In a letter to Storkey, the Department of Transport and Main Roads explained that ‘infringement notices will be issued if a camera detects the driver or passenger of a vehicle not wearing a seatbelt that is both properly adjusted and fastened’.

‘If you wish to withdraw your court election and pay [the] infringement notice, please advise this office by return email and the infringement will be released.’

View attachment 28581
Storkey claims the right side is unclear and it’s impossible to see whether the passenger is wearing the seatbelt under his arm. Image source: Nine News / Gavin Storkey.

Storkey claims the right side is unclear and it’s impossible to see whether the passenger is wearing the seatbelt under his arm. Image source: Nine News.

He believed the image showed the passenger’s seatbelt didn’t appear to be under the arm–despite the low-quality photo that was provided as evidence. So Storkey decided to fight the fine.

‘I have been a good citizen, (I've) never been in trouble with the law, I'm struggling to pay (my) mortgage and keep my small business afloat, and now I am being sent to trial over a seatbelt photo for a $1000 fine,’ he said.

‘I had a closer look and analysed the image further, I realised the image was taken in the late afternoon sun and was overexposed.’

‘I could see the seatbelt disappear in the image, (it's) clear on the left side of the image, but on the right side it's impossible to see,’ he added.

Queensland drivers face a maximum penalty of $2875 for improper wearing of seatbelts.

Storkey appeared in Southport’s Magistrates Court earlier this month, and his case has been adjourned until January 2024.
Key Takeaways

• A Queensland business owner, Gavin Storkey, received a $1,000 fine for a seatbelt offence, according to a photo taken by a road camera.
  • Storkey refutes the fine, claiming the passenger’s seatbelt was not under the arm as stated in the infringement notice but over it.
  • He alleges he was not given the option to submit a fine enquiry online by the Queensland Treasury, and was only offered the alternatives of going to court or paying the fine.
  • Storkey has pleaded not guilty in court, and the case has been adjourned until January 2024.
Dear members, it goes without saying–wearing your seatbelt is essential for your safety, so take the time to adjust it properly. And if you do end up being issued a ticket, make sure you’re aware of all your options.

So, what's your verdict dear members? Do you think the passenger was wearing the seatbelt right? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
pay the fine... it goes under the arm in m view

I am one of those annoying drivers who will not move until I have checked my passengers are properly buckled in. I agree it is something that should be policed and fined if found to be a true infringement.
Some people are lazy, or just don't care. As the person in charge of the vehicle, I have to take responsibility for what the passengers may be doing to jeopardise their safety.
Even though it does, at first glance, look like the arm is under the seat belt, I do have a comment to make, of a general nature.
Does the AI take into account the possibility the passenger does not have an arm, or have the proper use of the arm? I would hope that is not the case here, but in some situations, it may well be. AI has its uses, however, is not infallible. I know this from experience as I have Alexa in my home. It is quite effective in many areas concerning my hubby's care, however, she needs to be pulled into line with the odd little thing.
$1,000 is a big bite out of anybody's piggy bank. I do hope the legal fees don't bite this man in the bottom.

$1000, even IF it was under the arm -A WEEK'S TAKE HOME WAGES - RIDICULOUS!
WAKE UP GOVERNMENTS, AND STOP RIPPING THE PUBLIC OFF!
Maybe ask why it was under the arm. I have had to temporarily adjust a belt that was choking me and have struggled with a belt across my chest when I had a breast infection causing intense pain.

Reactions: Peter H Moors
Maybe ask why it was under the arm. I have had to temporarily adjust a belt that was choking me and have struggled with a belt across my chest when I had a breast infection causing intense pain.
I agree. This may have been a case of something as simple as having an itch in a place that cannot be seen by AI, or something more serious as can quite possibly be the case. I hope we get an update for this one.

I am one of those annoying drivers who will not move until I have checked my passengers are properly buckled in. I agree it is something that should be policed and fined if found to be a true infringement.
Some people are lazy, or just don't care. As the person in charge of the vehicle, I have to take responsibility for what the passengers may be doing to jeopardise their safety.
Even though it does, at first glance, look like the arm is under the seat belt, I do have a comment to make, of a general nature.
Does the AI take into account the possibility the passenger does not have an arm, or have the proper use of the arm? I would hope that is not the case here, but in some situations, it may well be. AI has its uses, however, is not infallible. I know this from experience as I have Alexa in my home. It is quite effective in many areas concerning my hubby's care, however, she needs to be pulled into line with the odd little thing.
$1,000 is a big bite out of anybody's piggy bank. I do hope the legal fees don't bite this man in the bottom.
And what do you do if a passenger needs to adjust the belt slightly, or maybe relocates it to bend down and pick up an object off the car floor, reach into the back seat, etc. Or finds the belt is choking them or hurting a sore breast? Do you pull up in the middle of freeway traffic and risk causing an accident because your passenger feels a need to adjust the seat belt temporarily?

Reactions: Will I Am
I too couldn't stand having the belt in the usual position after my heart operation some years ago. It was far more comfortable under the arm whereas when over the shoulder the belt pressed directly on my wound and hurt immensely.

And what do you do if a passenger needs to adjust the belt slightly, or maybe relocates it to bend down and pick up an object off the car floor, reach into the back seat, etc. Or finds the belt is choking them or hurting a sore breast? Do you pull up in the middle of freeway traffic and risk causing an accident because your passenger feels a need to adjust the seat belt temporarily?
We could come up with all different reasons why this could be happening. Things do happen.
That is why I was questioning the use of AI.
You can only hope that the passenger is given the opportunity to validate the action.

View attachment 28580

View attachment 28581

Key Takeaways

to me, it does look like he is wearing the seat belt under his arm. look at the angle of the seat belt, BEFORE it fades into the glare of the sun.

View attachment 28580

View attachment 28581

Key Takeaways

to me, the angle of the seat belt dos indicate under the arm

Clearly doesn't wear the seatbelt correctly. There are seat belt shoulder protectors available for whoever needs it. Not expensive. I have two in my car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gsr

View attachment 28580

View attachment 28581

Key Takeaways

The angle of the seatbelt suggests it was under the arm. Check it against the angle of the driver's belt.

The seatbelt is clearly under the arm, the angle shows this clearly. For those who claim illness etc prevents them from wearing one correctly see your doctor and obtain a medical certificate. My late wife done this when she was pregnant and had fractured ribs. I myself had a tripLe bypass in 2013 and found no trouble wearing the seatbelt correctly.

A practically identical scenario was screened on Channel 9's "A Current Affair" just now. The passenger was fitting breast pumps for her toddler when she was snapped. Cost poor hubby $1141 and lost four demerit points.

For the insomniacs out there in SDC land, it's replayed tomorrow morning at 4.30 am.

Last edited:
I cannot see a man with a seatbelt. The only image I see is a woman with the seatbelt on her shoulder!!!! Is there supposed to be another photo????

Agree, my safety belt, is often cutting across my throat and it is not always possible to move my seat. A $1000 fine is far too steep. How can the driver police his passenger whilst driving? It only takes a second for the passenger to change the belt"s position, and how can the driver see and still drive?