Dreadful Woolies self-service check-out experience

This Sunday, I did my weekly grocery shop at Woolworths and went through the self-service check-outs. My local store is quite small, so only a few manned checkouts exist. I don’t mind scanning my things as I usually listen to audiobooks while shopping, so self-service is a reasonably relaxed experience.

But not this week.

I was scanning my items and had two tins of the same tuna flavour. I’m unsure if this is where the AI theft detector became confused. As I was packing them in my bag, I turned around, and the attendant was there. The screen showed a video of me scanning the tuna repeatedly.

The employee then started counting the items on the screen and scrolling up to check my entire shopping list; she looked in my grocery bag to see the two tins of tuna (which were both scanned correctly and already on my running total). The attendant then went through my entire shopping bag and compared each item.

29053-compressed-shutterstock_2319565869.jpeg
Have you had a negative checkout experience before? Credit: Shutterstock/wisely

It felt over the top and left me with a dreadful feeling. After all, there had been no mistake or mis-scan; the AI system simply got it wrong.

Something similar happened before when I placed my reusable coffee cup next to my bags, prompting a ‘missed scan’. That felt understandable, if a little odd to experience. But for such an extreme reaction when it was clear the tuna was accounted for and scanned… Woolies is in my bad books for the time being.

Have you had a similar experience? How did it make you feel?

We’ve written about something similar when a 68-year-old Woolworths customer from New South Wales felt she was accused of theft. You can read more here.

Attachments

• 29053-compressed-shutterstock_2319565869.jpeg
    29053-compressed-shutterstock_2319565869.jpeg
    18.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sponsored
This Sunday, I did my weekly grocery shop at Woolworths and went through the self-service check-outs. My local store is quite small, so only a few manned checkouts exist. I don’t mind scanning my things as I usually listen to audiobooks while shopping, so self-service is a reasonably relaxed experience.

But not this week.

I was scanning my items and had two tins of the same tuna flavour. I’m unsure if this is where the AI theft detector became confused. As I was packing them in my bag, I turned around, and the attendant was there. The screen showed a video of me scanning the tuna repeatedly.

The employee then started counting the items on the screen and scrolling up to check my entire shopping list; she looked in my grocery bag to see the two tins of tuna (which were both scanned correctly and already on my running total). The attendant then went through my entire shopping bag and compared each item.

View attachment 30733

It felt over the top and left me with a dreadful feeling. After all, there had been no mistake or mis-scan; the AI system simply got it wrong.

Something similar happened before when I placed my reusable coffee cup next to my bags, prompting a ‘missed scan’. That felt understandable, if a little odd to experience. But for such an extreme reaction when it was clear the tuna was accounted for and scanned… Woolies is in my bad books for the time being.

We’ve written about something similar when a 68-year-old Woolworths customer from New South Wales felt she was accused of theft. You can read more here.
These super markets want you to work fo them than treat you like a thief you are on camera all the time you use the self service I prefer to wait for a teller than I know my pin information is no being recorded .

• Haha
Reactions: freedy50
I agree with Sherza and Maturegent.

If you are annoyed by the process - just turn around and walk out.

I did this at the Woolworths Belconnen store when the staff member was trying to make it very difficult for me to utilise their scanning policy.

I just walked across to Coles and did my shopping there instead.

• Haha

But not this week.

View attachment 30733

Another reason for NOT USING the self checkouts.... I didnt realise how sow man people can be duped into working for a supermarket and not get paid for doing the job....

• Haha
Supermarkets that have implemented self checkout seem to have transfered ALL reponsiblity for their systems (or failure thereof) onto the customer. Recently in Coles (St Clair, SA) the self-checkout froze and would not proceed even when the attendant attempted to reset the devise. I was assured that payment would not be processed, but on checking my account I found a 'pending' deduction which later completed and funds were actually deducted from my account. On failure of the machine I went through another checkout and paid cash. Complaining to the staff I was told to leave the cash transaction receipt and they would 'look into it'. Next day, the attendant was very dismissive, and told me that it was MY problem and that I had to take it up with the card issuer. Eventually after much argument with the store manager I managed to get a store gift card as refund for the failed transaction. I pointed out that it was Coles systems that had failed and why should be up to me to try obtain a refund. At the end of the discussion the Store Manager reprimanded me for 'disrespecting' the staff; it seems that any disagreement with staff is not to be tolerated and they are to be treated as 'Gods'.

2We all value our pride. Mine are honesty and good manners. I am warning you
woolworths. Mess with me & the charm I also keep under my belt will explode. You will wonder what has struck the Store,
& NOT the assistant. She is only policing her job & obeying rules. Keep your machinery in tip top condition ..

2 a time.

But not this week.

View attachment 30733

One reason why I won’t self scan it maybe longer in a service check out but if a mistake is made it’s the employee not mine

• Haha
The staff ARE NOT allowed to put their hands in your bags at all. It has to be a visual inspection and they have to ask you to shuffle or remove any items in the bags, but it should not come to this.
In your case, once it was seen the correct amount of tinned tuna had been scanned, they should have cleared the error, not manhandled your items. Technically, if there was a 'rogue' product then found in your bag AFTER they had their hands in the bag/s you could have accused them of planting it there (which is why they are basically NOT allowed to put their hands in any bag of items) - not saying you did anything wrong, cause as far as i understand you absolutely did nothing wrong and the staff member did treat you badly.

How do i know this? I used to work on a checkout and this was the rules (and still are).

You should have asked at the service desk to speak to the store manager and let him/her know of what happened and how it made you feel too, and request that the staff member was at least made aware of their wrong doing or retrained.

Another good idea is make yourself aware of the scanning code of practise as well, it often comes in handy and can save you money especially if they got the pricing wrong.

Another thing, if something happens to scan cheaper than advertised - NEVER let them know, take it as a win, they earn millions a year off screwing all of us over in prices and service. plus there is no legal requirement on us to advise them of a mistake in our favour.

By using self-checkouts we are taking jobs away from our children... I would never use one, ever...

But not this week.

View attachment 30733

• Haha