Dreadful Woolies self-service check-out experience

This Sunday, I did my weekly grocery shop at Woolworths and went through the self-service check-outs. My local store is quite small, so only a few manned checkouts exist. I don’t mind scanning my things as I usually listen to audiobooks while shopping, so self-service is a reasonably relaxed experience.

But not this week.

I was scanning my items and had two tins of the same tuna flavour. I’m unsure if this is where the AI theft detector became confused. As I was packing them in my bag, I turned around, and the attendant was there. The screen showed a video of me scanning the tuna repeatedly.

The employee then started counting the items on the screen and scrolling up to check my entire shopping list; she looked in my grocery bag to see the two tins of tuna (which were both scanned correctly and already on my running total). The attendant then went through my entire shopping bag and compared each item.

29053-compressed-shutterstock_2319565869.jpeg
Have you had a negative checkout experience before? Credit: Shutterstock/wisely

It felt over the top and left me with a dreadful feeling. After all, there had been no mistake or mis-scan; the AI system simply got it wrong.

Something similar happened before when I placed my reusable coffee cup next to my bags, prompting a ‘missed scan’. That felt understandable, if a little odd to experience. But for such an extreme reaction when it was clear the tuna was accounted for and scanned… Woolies is in my bad books for the time being.

Have you had a similar experience? How did it make you feel?

We’ve written about something similar when a 68-year-old Woolworths customer from New South Wales felt she was accused of theft. You can read more here.

Attachments

• 29053-compressed-shutterstock_2319565869.jpeg
    29053-compressed-shutterstock_2319565869.jpeg
    18.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sponsored
The employee then started counting the items on the screen and scrolling up to check my entire shopping list; she looked in my grocery bag to see the two tins of tuna (which were both scanned correctly and already on my running total). The attendant then went through my entire shopping bag and compared each item.

Did the employee physically put her hand in your bag? If so, she technically committing a common assault.

Hope this helps!

Did the employee physically put her hand in your bag? If so, she technically committing a common assault.

Hope this helps!

She did 😮 Thank you for this information!

I'm not sure if that is true. Wouldn't the items in the bag still belong to woolies until they are paid for?? That would give them the right to search the items. Just because they are scanned, does not mean they belong to you yet, until they are paid for.
That link you provided is for personal handbags, purses and carry bags.
This article is about shopping bags that contain items being scanned and bought at the store. These are 2 very different things.
Yes a store may ask to search your personal bags. They can also check items being scanned and placed in a bag on the packing scale as they are still the shops property until they are paid for.

I'm not sure if that is true. Wouldn't the items in the bag still belong to woolies until they are paid for?? That would give them the right to search the items. Just because they are scanned, does not mean they belong to you yet, until they are paid for.
This article is about shopping bags that contain items being scanned and bought at the store. These are 2 very different things.
Yes a store may ask to search your personal bags. They can also check items being scanned and placed in a bag on the packing scale as they are still the shops property until they are paid for.
Splitting hairs there I think. Does the type of bag determine whether it is suitable for shoplifting or not? Is a backpack more desirable than a tote bag for the task? Define a carry bag versus a tote bag. Both are designed to carry any number of items to their capacity. I have no idea what the bag of choice is for shoplifters.

Reactions: Macarj and Leenie
There is so many shops doing this, it used to be innocent until proven guilty.
Now you don''t have any protection you are guilty by the sheer fact of being there, Enter...The ordinary shopper who just wants to pay for their items and get the heck out of there. That shouldn't be a hassle should it ? WRONG they should just wait for the Checkout Chick to do the business .WHATEVER are you slipping anything into the bag ? Or are you the Honest type person with nothing to hide. Who is mortified that it can be
suggested you are guilty of theft, and even Feeling abandoned which doesn't seem to cut it, because every standing PERSON Assumes, you are GUILTY and are giving you THE LOOK THAT SAYS, YES I can see that person is sure you are GUILTY and you sure looked DODGY
If you are not feeling embarrassed or just looking for the closest EXIT. JOIN THE CLUB you are not alone. HAPPY SHOPPING,

I used to occasionally go though self checkouts purely for avoidance of queues.
That stopped when my experience with a rogue scanner changed my willingness to give self checking a fair run. In this instance, the checkout refused to recognise my own bag, then, when I continued scanning, it had hissy fits with every item that then required the team member to come over and do their secret fix. It took what seemed forever to scan through around 8-10 items. It was a very negative experience and my reason for avoiding self checkouts completely.
I don't know how I would react to being challenged by an employee and put through the airport security style of dealing with me. There must be a better way.

Splitting hairs there I think. Does the type of bag determine whether it is suitable for shoplifting or not? Is a backpack more desirable than a tote bag for the task? Define a carry bag versus a tote bag. Both are designed to carry any number of items to their capacity. I have no idea what the bag of choice is for shoplifters.
I think the point is that the goods are not paid for, not the type of bag!
If the goods were paid for then it is an infringement of your rights because they belong to you, not the store.

If I was treated this way, I'd have simply emptied my shopping bags at the register, and walked out with the empty bags. Woolworths management need to be sent a message to respect people and this is certainly not respecting an older shopper. Because I don't get paid by Woolworths to work as a checkout operator, I avoid using the self checkout anyway. I make a point of blocking the front aisle with my trolley to encourage them to open another checkout.

Meanwhile while they are focussing on who’s scanning what the, real perpetrators are in the aisles filling their clothing with packets of meat, batteries, razors etc. I worked in loss prevention for many years and keeping up with the out of control theft in the aisles was a logistical nightmare. Sadly it is the those people that have made shopping for those of us who are honest a very unsavoury experience at times. Why not have a system like Chemist Warehouse where every item has a security tag even though this does not completely solve the problem of theft it, is perhaps a good start but, retailers don’t want to put these systems in place because of the cost factor. My supermarket shopping is all done online now because what used to be a somewhat pleasurable experience is now an unenjoyable distasteful experience that I can live without 😏

Reactions: Ezzy and terri
This Sunday, I did my weekly grocery shop at Woolworths and went through the self-service check-outs. My local store is quite small, so only a few manned checkouts exist. I don’t mind scanning my things as I usually listen to audiobooks while shopping, so self-service is a reasonably relaxed experience.

But not this week.

I was scanning my items and had two tins of the same tuna flavour. I’m unsure if this is where the AI theft detector became confused. As I was packing them in my bag, I turned around, and the attendant was there. The screen showed a video of me scanning the tuna repeatedly.

View attachment 30733

It felt over the top and left me with a dreadful feeling. After all, there had been no mistake or mis-scan; the AI system simply got it wrong.

Something similar happened before when I placed my reusable coffee cup next to my bags, prompting a ‘missed scan’. That felt understandable, if a little odd to experience. But for such an extreme reaction when it was clear the tuna was accounted for and scanned… Woolies is in my bad books for the time being.

We’ve written about something similar when a 68-year-old Woolworths customer from New South Wales felt she was accused of theft. You can read more here.
It's simple, use manned checkouts and keep people in work.

I think that's a great idea. If they won't put staff on checkouts, they can pay someone to shop for me. The only downside is, I wouldn't be able to impulse buy ha ha.
Meanwhile while they are focussing on who’s scanning what the, real perpetrators are in the aisles filling their clothing with packets of meat, batteries, razors etc. I worked in loss prevention for many years and keeping up with the out of control theft in the aisles was a logistical nightmare. Sadly it is the those people that have made shopping for those of us who are honest a very unsavoury experience at times. Why not have a system like Chemist Warehouse where every item has a security tag even though this does not completely solve the problem of theft it, is perhaps a good start but, retailers don’t want to put these systems in place because of the cost factor. My supermarket shopping is all done online now because what used to be a somewhat pleasurable experience is now an unenjoyable distasteful experience that I can live without 😏

You say the security showed you scanning the item repeatedly; perhaps this is the problem. If (to save time) you scanned one tin twice before putting both in your bag, then the AI which detects the items being placed in the basket may have only recognised one scanned tin, two being put in basket therefore, one supposedly not paid for - a problem with the scanner and weight detector. If I have multiples I either scan them each one at a time, placing in basket as scanned or I ask the attendant to set up a multiple item which she uses her store login to process for me.

Hope this helps!
Retail staff can ONLY ask to look into your bags but cannot put their hands on or in them. They can also ask you to empty them. Only police can go further in bag searches.

But not this week.

View attachment 30733

If that was to happen to me, I would walk out there and then and leave them to deal with the trolley full of groceries.

But not this week.

View attachment 30733

It is just part of how we shop now.
I don't let it bother me. It is not the attendants fault.

Reactions: Macarj and terri
Yes but no right to put their hand in HER bag
You say the security showed you scanning the item repeatedly; perhaps this is the problem. If (to save time) you scanned one tin twice before putting both in your bag, then the AI which detects the items being placed in the basket may have only recognised one scanned tin, two being put in basket therefore, one supposedly not paid for - a problem with the scanner and weight detector. If I have multiples I either scan them each one at a time, placing in basket as scanned or I ask the attendant to set up a multiple item which she uses her store login to process for me.
Yes but still no excuse to treat her like this